Cardboard in booster packs

By Klark, in Star Wars: Destiny

It seems like to me that cardboards in boosters is to put a die in it. But what's the purpose?

It seems like to me that cardboards in boosters is to put a die in it. But what's the purpose?

Specifically, the cardboard is in there so that the big dice don't warp the cards.

Sorry mate. Your link points to this same post.

Specifically, the cardboard is in there so that the big dice don't warp the cards.

Security, that's ok. But what about the square hole cutted in the middle of the cardboard? Could it be for die exposition or whatever?

Did you ever play Dice Masters? They used to just jam their dice+cards loose into those plastic packets. As a result, the cards would come out bent in all sorts of weird ways as the loose dice forced the cards into strange positions, and the weight of other boosters reinforced this warping. By holding the dice in the centre, and encasing the whole lot in hard cardboard, no amount of passive weight from other boosters is likely to damage your cards before you get them. At least, in my own opinion.

Plus it is kind of exciting to have the die up front when you tear open that booster!

Thanks 4 ur answers, guys!

We've been trying to come up with a good use for them afterwards and haven't come up with one.

I understand the need for them, but I really hate FFG's use of extra packaging for everything they make (see Armada ship packaging). I would think there would be a better, more environmentally friendly way to package.

I ask sincerely, what's wrong with recycling the cardboard and plastic?

I understand the need for them, but I really hate FFG's use of extra packaging for everything they make (see Armada ship packaging). I would think there would be a better, more environmentally friendly way to package.

I know exactly what you mean. Years of X-wing have left me with a lifetimes supply of tiny ziploc bags.

I think the cardboard piece is brilliant - no damaged cards yet. And it's environmentally friendly as cardboard can be recylced. My only wonder has been if it'll be financially sound for FFG to maintain such great packaging and keep costs down, but I'm sure they've thought of that.

Meanwhile, I have to flattened out almost every Dice Master card I get...

Its just that it is always better to not use unnecessary material than to use it and have to recycle it. It takes additional energy and work to recycle and you lose a little bit of material each time. I always recycle mine, but I get a bit mad when I see people tossing the packaging into the garbage at the game store. Also, a lot of stuff that is sent to be recycled is just thrown away at the plant :(

They make wonderful single card mailers.

They also work great as dividers.

If I played Star Wars LCG I would use them to hold objective sets.

If you plan on trading or selling singles with dice online, the cardboard insert would be an awesome way to help protect them in the mail. I'm not much of an online seller, but that is definitely what I would do, if I were.

Its just that it is always better to not use unnecessary material than to use it and have to recycle it. It takes additional energy and work to recycle and you lose a little bit of material each time. I always recycle mine, but I get a bit mad when I see people tossing the packaging into the garbage at the game store. Also, a lot of stuff that is sent to be recycled is just thrown away at the plant :(

I see. Well, at least they are using materials that can be recycled.

Sorry mate. Your link points to this same post.

That was the point.....

I don't realize the meaning of doing that. My guesses:

1) You are telling me answer is in my question already :huh:

2) Just trolling me :ph34r:

3) Anything else. :P

Whatever, i don't care anymore. Happy to see my dumb question raised so much attention and got off-topic but with interesting suggestions, though.

Thanks again, guys! ;)

Edited by Klark

The die was supposed to be held with that square cut-out in the cardboard sleeve as well. The 12 packs I saw opened during the launch event however had the dice floating around loose. Doesn't look like they're spending the labor to plant that die anymore? :)

The die was supposed to be held with that square cut-out in the cardboard sleeve as well. The 12 packs I saw opened during the launch event however had the dice floating around loose. Doesn't look like they're spending the labor to plant that die anymore? :)

Same here. I haven't seen a die yet that has been sitting in the cardboard square.

Same here. I haven't seen a die yet that has been sitting in the cardboard square.

I have yet to see a die that WASN'T neatly in the cardboard holder. Do you two live in the same area? Maybe received a batch that wasn't packaged correctly?

All of mine were at the FFG Event Center during their launch.

I have yet to see a die that WASN'T neatly in the cardboard holder. Do you two live in the same area? Maybe received a batch that wasn't packaged correctly?

Seattle area here...

Someone on reddit figured it out 😃

Open it up, push the die through from the inside, then close it until the die is flush with the closed cardboard. Then stick the card in between the flaps and you're done.

ps. sorry for the necro post, but this was the first result on google, so i thought it needed an answer.

On 11/26/2016 at 9:38 AM, cptmusket said:

We've been trying to come up with a good use for them afterwards and haven't come up with one.

If you sell any card singles, two of them make a great protective envelope for the cards. Saves me from buying hard plastic to keep cards from getting bent while shipping.