Newbie: Some Questions

By Supertoe, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Hi guys, I have some questions about the game.

First, can I have a better explanation of how scrums work? Is there a video by any chance?

Second, can a unit deal it's damage multiple times? Take this example.

Unit A is on top of Unit B which is on top of C. A and C are Orcs, B is Empire.

Scenario 1: A deals attack, B deals counter, neither disk is destroyed. Can B attack C? Can C deal it's counter?

Scenario 2: A deals attack, B deals counter, A is destroyed. Can B attack C? Can C counter B?

Thirdly, I plan on making custom disks (text-only files will be posted unless I can dig up a digital template somewhere.) But my question is, how should I go about Skaven? The only Skaven we have are very Warpstone-range themed, and there is nothing to give me inspiration for a swarm-based Skaven regiment. I really don't want to go with the "keep all of your Skaven together to get huge buffs" style that seems most simple. Maybe some Flanking and reinforcing stuff?

Also, here is an example design for what I mean by "keeping Skaven together swarm". One or two of these are fine, I just don't want it to be all.:

Grey Seer

8-point small Skaven

Caster. Magic 3.

4 move, 3 attack, 3 counter, 4 toughness.

After a friendly unit within medium range of this disk receives an activation token from a critical hit, remove that activation token.

As far as your first question, I would recommend wisdom of the ancients on Snipertroll's blog. It has a section that does a pretty great job of explaining scrums. If you have specific questions, you could always post photo examples here that we can parse for you.

To answer the second question: In both of those scenarios B would attack (or counter) both A and C. Embattled disks always deal their damage in the engagement to one enemy pinning them, and also to one enemy they are pinning (unless they are destroyed by the pinning disk first). Just make sure you are resolving from the top down . If the embattled disk is killed (for example A kills B) then it does not get to resolve in the "lower" engagement (so B would not hit C nor would C hit B if A managed to kill B with its attack).

For the third part: templates do exist (see some of the posts here and on BGG for reference). If you don't want to keep Skaven closely bunched up with buffs but still want them to feel swarmy, I think there are several options. One would be to keep costs low so there are simply many units on the field. Another might be to design a unit that, when killed, spawns a copy in the deployment zone or something like that. I also like the idea of lots of flank and weird reinforcement rules that makes it feel like they are coming out of the woodworks. Finally, I think you could give them some neat commander options that could make for some fun regiments that flood the board. Maybe something like a special disk (super weak, no cost--rat swarms, perhaps?) that goes with a commander, and the commander says "At the start of the second, third, and fourth round, spawn a rat swarm for free in your deployment zone."

Another thought:

No hero has yet had a command value higher than 2, but maybe some swarmy Skaven heroes could go higher than that, allowing you to bring more command cards to the table. This could free up additional army slots for cheap disks, allowing you to simply out-activate an opponent. It could be interesting...

I can't find those templates anywhere. There's always mention of them but no files. And I do like your ideas for the Skaven!