I want to get this...but

By HammerTime, in Relic

Hello every,

I've been wanting to pick this up for awhile now. I had a few concerns though.

1. I have Talisman for my phone actually and I really enjoy it. But one thing I really like is the PVP. I was going to get all the Relic expansions and I believe expansion 1 adds PVP, but it's only if someone plays the nemesis correct? And it's not like you steal anything from them and I really like stealing items from people in talisman. They say it's a reskin of talisman with more stuff, but the PVP really bothers me. I'm debating on not getting the expansions and picking up both vanilla.

2. I see how busy the world map is and I'm PRETTY familiar with warhammer. But would this game be very difficult for someone not familiar with warhammer? I'm talking about introducing it to people who have never played anything more complex than monopoly. Would you recommend Talisman instead? I have just recently got into this hobby and started off with Mage Knight.

3. I'm a little confused on the number of characters you can be? The base game is 4, expansion 1 additional 5, and 2nd expansion additional 2?!

Thanks everyone I have this all in my shopping cart and hesistsnt and thinking about just getting original Talisman mostly because the simple PVP and simplicity of the design.

PS: if possible could anyone provide some decent, I guess you could say family friendly games that aren't as simple as monopoly. I don't know how to word it to resemble the increase in complexity haha. I'd like to throw in my 63 year old Mom.

Hello every,

I've been wanting to pick this up for awhile now. I had a few concerns though.

1. I have Talisman for my phone actually and I really enjoy it. But one thing I really like is the PVP. I was going to get all the Relic expansions and I believe expansion 1 adds PVP, but it's only if someone plays the nemesis correct? And it's not like you steal anything from them and I really like stealing items from people in talisman. They say it's a reskin of talisman with more stuff, but the PVP really bothers me. I'm debating on not getting the expansions and picking up both vanilla.

2. I see how busy the world map is and I'm PRETTY familiar with warhammer. But would this game be very difficult for someone not familiar with warhammer? I'm talking about introducing it to people who have never played anything more complex than monopoly. Would you recommend Talisman instead? I have just recently got into this hobby and started off with Mage Knight.

3. I'm a little confused on the number of characters you can be? The base game is 4, expansion 1 additional 5, and 2nd expansion additional 2?!

Thanks everyone I have this all in my shopping cart and hesistsnt and thinking about just getting original Talisman mostly because the simple PVP and simplicity of the design.

PS: if possible could anyone provide some decent, I guess you could say family friendly games that aren't as simple as monopoly. I don't know how to word it to resemble the increase in complexity haha. I'd like to throw in my 63 year old Mom.

I have played Relic only 3 times and its been awhile, I will try my best to answer your questions.

1. There are 2 ways to have PvP, if someone playes the bad guys, or if a good guy picks up and uses certain "illegal" equipment. You can then attack these players. If you win, I think you can steal equipment, and if you steal the "illegal" and use it, then you can be attacked. I am not certain on all these details.

2. I am not familiar with the details of Warhammer, nor even interested in it, but the sci-fi nature of the theme was generic enough for me to enjoy it. Which would I teach a newbie? I guess it depends on which theme they liked more. Relic is shorter, and has more stream lined rules.

4. How many players can be played? Ah we never followed that rule/guideline in Talisman and certainly never followed that guideline in Relic either. Play as many people you want, just realize it will lengthen the game, but as I shared Relic is still shorter than Talisman.

PS: I keep a top 100 games, I have played around 400 games now, here are the family friendly games I recommend:

I play with 2 main groups, gamers, and non-gaming family, many of these games are good with non-gaming family (listed in order of best 1st):

Bang! The Bullet with the expansion: BANG! The Valley of Shadows

Colt Express

Jamaica

King of Tokyo

Bang! the dice game

No Thanks!

Incan Gold

For Sale

Dragon Slayer

Martian Dice

Saboteur

Wits & Wagers Family Edition

Guillotine

Unexploded Cow

Betrayal at House on the Hill

Tsuro of the Seas

Spyfall

Ca$h 'n Guns 2nd edition

Camel Up

Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers (or any Carcassonee game, there are several versions)

The Sheriff Of Nottingham

Run, Fight, or Die!

Diamonds

Deadwood

Takenoko

Boomtown

Imhotep

New York 1901

Mission: Red Planet

Automania

Formula D with basic rules

Hey sorry to respond so late it took forever to get my post approved it seems. I appreciate the information and the lengthy family games. I screen snapped it and will look into ALL of them.

I've ordered pathfinder card game instead (incredible how much all the little addons cost together $275 so better be @¥@¥in good), but I will most likely pick up Relic and to me it seems the expansion is a must if I want to get PVP. I'm sure there is some home rules or such of ways to PVP and allow to attack each other without being enemies so to speak ect.

I sat for literally 26 hours and youtubed MANY games and decided pathfinder card game looked the most fun (for me). But I want to pick up Relic for the family it's just unfortunate there is literally no playthroughs or in depth reviews of the expansion on YouTube. I've cleared out any videos Relic related lol. I found one where they were playing it, but not even explaining what they were doing or interacting so your watching a group of guys play a game that you can't even see.

It's almost as if this game went under the radar, which is a shame because it seems a lot better than Talisman is many ways. I'm guessing like you said the theme is a niche and like I said I'm not this warhammer crazy fan. I've played a lot of warhammer video games and such, but I doubt I'll really get the "lore." I think Space Hulk is related? I just picked that game up on PS4 lol. I just got into board games and it's all so new to me and refreshing (AND EXPENSIVE). So I'm doing lots of research and finding what I like because I love RPG Video games, but stuff like D&D is just way to much for me. Way to much dedication and creativity for me, plus none of my friends have any interest in board games. AND I really don't care to go searching for some group. Someday I'll try it, but for now looking for solo-3 player games (loving Mage Knight solo).

Only reason I want it is because it's like Talisman with additional perks (like the character leveling). It's almost like I would rather have Talisman, BUT with these rules PLUS the PVP. The generic traditional stuff in Talisman is easy to adapt to for friends and family, but we will see if my Mom can understand this haha.

I was playing Mage Knight and showing my brother and she said "Can I play?" And I said "Mom this isn't like Crazy 8s or monopoly it's difficult and not easy to explain" and she took big offense thinking I said she was to dumb lol. So I'm buying a game like this that seems rather easy to explain, but something I'd enjoy because I'm not into monopoly or that class level of board games. I'm seeking out more complex games and I wish I knew a name for what I mean.

Thanks again, take care.

PS: 400 games is TOO MUCH...send some this way haha. I envy you lol.

I have played 400 games, I do not own that many. You can view my collection here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/DomaGB?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

Due to the ending of the contract between FFG and Games Workshop, Talisman, and Relic and several other titles are going out of print. Thus I recommend getting these games and expansions while you can. Right now FFG is having a holiday sale and you can get Relic for $20 and each expansion for $10.

Do it!

Wow awesome was just about to spend $135

I was too late :(