Starting a Campaign with the beginner adventure

By arkantheblack, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Hello fellow gamers

I´m thinking on starting af EotE campaign, using the beginner adventure to teach the rules and start the group,

Anything i should be aware of, if i let the players create their own custom characters, instead of using the pre generated ones.

(all the players are new to the system, but all have played Rpgs for many years, and tried many systems)

The group consists of 5 players, and me as the GM

custom PCs can work just fine. Try and work with them to give them some sort of ties to Teemo (or even Trex) if you can. That will help if you feel like running the free follow-up.

Due to the nature of being a beginner game for people new to RPGs, the beginner box is pretty railroady. I recommend running the first and maybe even the second encounter as is, just to introduce the dice mechanic. After that, play it however is best for your group. If you do go this route, warn your PCs that it can be a little hand-holdy at times, but the system is solid.

Thanks for the good advice.

Looking at the pre created characters for the beginner game, I see that they have slightly better gear than you could buy as a standard new player... any good ideas to handle this? Should i simply give my players more credits to start with, or should i give my players their starting equipmemt, so they can deal with the adventure?

Edited by arkantheblack

Honestly, even if you're "old hands" at RPGs (and I've been playing since the original D&D) I'd start with the pregens. If you're used to games like D&D, this game plays very differently, and it will take some getting used to. Starting with chargen is only going to be confusing, because nobody has any context for knowing which choices to make.

One thing you will note from the pregens, they've spent most (if not all) of their starting XP on their characteristics.

With my EotE game I started with the pregens. At the end of the adventure, you're supposed to take off in the Krayt Fang, and that's where I paused to give the players a chance to create their own characters if they wanted to (some liked their pregens enough to keep them). In the next session I started with the new characters running up (also fleeing from Teemo), and the old characters became NPCs, wandering off at the Ryloth spaceport, never to be seen again.

Good point... I think i will do that...
We have tried a lot of games, often with the free starter adventure (with pre-gen characters), the last game vi testet was the new Conan rpg ( http://www.modiphius.com/conan.html ) witch has a similar mechanic.
But, yeah i will print the folios for the to extra characters and try the game with the pre-gen...

My group has five players, and i can see that there are to more pre-gens on the FFG homepage...

My group all created their own characters and just tied their backstories to Teemo. It wasn't too difficult. I thought it was more fun than using the pre-gens. But I learned that my group was very combat oriented.

However the pre-gens are fairly balanced compared to them all making their own.

Anyone have a story progression using the modules provided by FFG? My group started with the Beginner box and then did "Long Arm of the Hutt". Where to next? Has anyone listed a good order?

Edited by zsavk

- Eacape

- Log Arm

- Trouble Brewing

- Debts to Pay (working for the Hutt you meet at the end of trouble brewing)

After that you can sort of do any of them (Beyond the Rim, Masks, Jewel of Yavin, etc). I did a bunch of module reviews if you are interested in some more detail behind many of the modules.

ya sure Aurin can you link me to that? Would love to get your insights.