Retreiving arrows

By bladerunner_35, in WFRP House Rules

I figured I would just roll a misfortune die for each arrow that hit to se if it is recoverable. The player could of course add fortune dice if he or she wanted. To find an arrow that misses its target requires an easy observation check, modified due to the circumstances.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Per the rulebook, the player rolls a Fortune die for each arrow or bolt shot. On a success the arrow/bolt is recovered. So that's a 33% chance of recovery per arrow. Are you proposing that you would first roll a Misfortune die to see if the arrow was recoverable and for each crossed sword, that's one less arrow they can even attempt to recover?

I think the existing rule assumes that the PC has plenty of time to scour the area for missed shots and since they only have a 33% chance of recovering arrows in the first place, I'd not really want to make it too much harder on them by lowering the number of arrows that are potentially recoverable or requiring successful Observation checks to even locate them in the first place. On rare occasions, if in game circumstances (full darkness, the PC is Human, plus a heavy rain) warrant it, it might be fun to have them roll an Observation check to see if they can locate all of their arrows before attempting the recovery roll, but I wouldn't want to do this every time.

I did not even consider the possibility that there might be a rule for just this instance. How about that eh. Thanks for pointing that out mac40k.