Cleansing Fire

By RMcD, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

The rules of cleansing fire:

http://i.imgur.com/aUOKsuO.png

The rules of Flame:

http://i.imgur.com/A0JtE7k.png

How do you guys rule this ability? To me it doesn't seem like it replaces the rule, but is an addition.

1. Agility Test (to avoid the flame)

2. Energy Damage Roll

3. Agility Test (to avoid catching on fire)

4. Willpower Test (to avoid catching on fire)

5. If On Fire Damage (1d10 Energy damage (no armour) + 1d10 Energy damage (no armour or toughness) + 1 fatigue)

6. (On Their Round) If On Fire Willpower Test

7. If On Fire Agility (-20) Test to Extinguish

8. If Failed At End of Their Round If On Fire Damage (1d10 Energy damage (no armour) + 1d10 Energy damage (no armour or toughness) + 1 fatigue)

etc

Or do you remove 3. (basically only having one test to catch on fire).

Like so

1. Dodge Test to avoid the attack (If chosen)

2. Agility Test (to avoid the flame)

3. Energy Damage Roll

4. Agility Test (to avoid catching on fire)

5. Willpower Test (to avoid catching on fire)

6. If On Fire Agility (-20) Test to Extinguish

7. If On Fire Damage (1d10 Energy damage (no armour) + 1d10 Energy damage (no armour or toughness) + 1 fatigue)

8. If Failed At End of Their Round If On Fire Damage (1d10 Energy damage (no armour) + 1d10 Energy damage (no armour or toughness) + 1 fatigue)

These are the sequence of actions I perform. The key difference is noting they also have a Dodge test option before the test. I actually do require both tests to avoid bursting into Flame, and extinguishing the Flame is still just an Agility test rather than a WP and an AG test.

Also I believe they have the option to extinguish themselves before taking burning damage.

So they can dodge and just have a normal agility roll? That seems quite strong, even a 10% chance twice adds up.

Yes, the first test is to avoid the attack, and the second attack is just to weave out of the Flames. It is a strong arguement for using miniatures because people might not be able to dodge out of the Flames, which does matter. On the converse side, you don't need a Ballistic Skill roll to hit, and if you can get them with a Webber first that's an instant burning.

But it is possible to dodge Flame weapons, but they make up for it with that delightful "Ignore Armour" rule, which just wrecks a Psyker's day.