Help with Rules

By AbabaJahnoi, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

So I had a few questions on the rules of WH:Q. If anyone can do their best to help clarify these for me I'd be very grateful! Was kind of disappointed in the rule-book for this game as others have been pretty extensive in explaining things so I'm hoping someone in the community can help me out. Just starting out these are what I've encountered so far;

1. When does a face-down enemy become face-up? Can it stay face down if never engaged?
  2. Does a face-up spawned enemy start in the shadows?
  3. If a creature in the shadows has Advance can it not attack until after it advances during enemy phase (unless ranged)?
  4. Aid you may choose a hero does rolling Shield stack or do you only stack Attack rolls?
  5. Can you leave location as soon as you have total progress tokens for that location or must you wait till the end of all phases?
  6. When entering a new location are all actions automatically readied or do you still need to perform whichever action readies all actions?
  7. Are creature abilities (Advance, Retreat, Ensnare, Lacerate, Disease) played out all at once or 1 per round?

The tutorial sadly I feel made things more confusing than helpful.

Thank you ahead of time for answering these!

1. When does a face-down enemy become face-up? Can it stay face down if never engaged?
  2. Does a face-up spawned enemy start in the shadows?
  3. If a creature in the shadows has Advance can it not attack until after it advances during enemy phase (unless ranged)?
  4. Aid you may choose a hero does rolling Shield stack or do you only stack Attack rolls?
  5. Can you leave location as soon as you have total progress tokens for that location or must you wait till the end of all phases?
  6. When entering a new location are all actions automatically readied or do you still need to perform whichever action readies all actions?
  7. Are creature abilities (Advance, Retreat, Ensnare, Lacerate, Disease) played out all at once or 1 per round?

#1: When a hero attacks it (ranged attack), tries to exhaust it (Waywatcher) or it gets activated in the Enemy Phase. It can't stay face down.

#2: No, normal spawns are engaged with the active hero, face downs usually just happen from travelling and location putting enemies face down.

#3: Enemy with Advance never actually does anything beyond Advance. Once an Ork Boy is engaged with a character, he'll remain engaged (barring pushback like Waywatcher Rest), but since all he has as keywords for activating is Advance, he won't do any dmg in the enemy phase. Hence why Ork Boys have 2 (3 for Elite) dmg, they stick to you and hit you hard for each claw you roll.

#4: Shields are useless in this case.

#5: Location phase is when travel occurs.

#6: They aren't auto-readied.

#7: Each enemy phase, all ready enemies activate, triggering each of their abilities. So Night Goblin Archer has Retreat-Inflict-Inflict (IIRC), so you'd do all three when activating it.

Appreciate you clearing that up! If I run into anything else I'm sure I'll be back. Gonna try the user submitted 3 intro quests; Lair of Spider Queen, Night of the Goblins, Domain of the Rats.

1. If spawned enemies automatically go to the current party leader, when do face-down enemies become face-up? During the next round along with more enemies are that are then spawned according to current location? This just seems like you could end up with LOTS of enemies spawned in shadows/engaged with no time to rest/heal until entire quest is complete.
  2. Do you continue to spawn enemies at a location every round until you progress past it?
  3. I have not gotten to the actual Card Quests yet (still playing/learning the above intro quests that were user submitted) but does Peril increase each round or only when you progress to the next location?

Thanks again.

1. If spawned enemies automatically go to the current party leader, when do face-down enemies become face-up? During the next round along with more enemies are that are then spawned according to current location? This just seems like you could end up with LOTS of enemies spawned in shadows/engaged with no time to rest/heal until entire quest is complete.
  2. Do you continue to spawn enemies at a location every round until you progress past it?
  3. I have not gotten to the actual Card Quests yet (still playing/learning the above intro quests that were user submitted) but does Peril increase each round or only when you progress to the next location?

Thanks again.

Some answers:

1. Face-down enemies become face-up normally during the Enemy Phase, when they are activated. Or if they are targeted by ranged attacks. If a face-down enemy in the shadows is exhausted, it stays face down in the Enemy Phase since it is not activated.

Remember that most non-nemesis enemies in the shadows are discarded when travelling.

2. You only spawn enemies as per the indicated numbers on the bottom left of the location card (red and black skull) when travelling to the location. Although on some locations cards enemies spawn at the end of the location phase if specified in the location card text.

3.Peril increases each round, so before you know it time is running out and your nemesis is upon you.

Happy questing!

Edited by windforce

Thanks again.

Just to add to the replies above:

1. When enemies are spawned during a hero's activation, they are placed face-up and engaged with the active hero. At any other time enemies are spawned one at a time, face-up and engaged, starting with the party leader and proceeding clockwise until the required number of enemies have been spawned. The exception to this is if you are instructed to spawn enemies in the shadows, in which case they are placed face-down into the shadow zone and are not engaged with any hero. Rules reference page 14, Spawning Enemies.

Face-down enemies become face-up when "the enemy suffers damage, is engaged or activates". Rules reference page 15, Shadow Zone, 4th bullet point. Exhausting an enemy in the shadows does not cause it to become face-up, it will simply ready in the enemy phase and stay face-down in the shadows.

3. Peril increases every round, immediately after resolving the location phase.