new player... lots of q's

By Spicetacular, in UFS Rules Q & A

Hi me and my friends just picked this game up and it has been fun but a lot of stuff is unclear and i haven't been able to find

the answers on the site or in the forums so im sorry if i am asking/reposting a bunch of dumb questions... thank you for your help

1. How do i play a 2nd char? and what happens when i do?

2. When can i play actions? if my action has multiple things it can do, do i do all of them, 1 of them, whichever i choose?

3. During the enhance step can i use as many enhances as i want (1 per card) or just 1 enhance?

4. What is desperation?

5. Whats is combo(weapon, attack)?

6. When i play block(s) on my opponents turn do i start a card pool?

couldn't find an edit button.....

what is the negative to having my char commited?

You announce it as a form from your hand and play it to your card pool, durring your end phase when it is cleared from your card pool you attach it to your character and you gain any abilities(that you do NOT already have) and resources(also that you do not have) but you maintain your current max vitality and hand size.

2. When can i play actions? if my action has multiple things it can do, do i do all of them, 1 of them, whichever i choose?

Actions tell you when to play them denoted by the "F: E: or R:" on them and when you play them for that ability say you have 2 Form abilites on an action card you must CHOSE one of them to play and resolve that one, perfect example is test of strength, when you attempt to play it you chose one of the enhances to play, make the check, make the check for the cost and resolve it.

3. During the enhance step can i use as many enhances as i want (1 per card) or just 1 enhance?

1 per card in play, hand, face up momentum, attack and character; though note only actions can be played for their enhance ability from your hand durring the enhance step. ONLY Exceptions to the rule are cards like **Kilik** who says you can play his enhance multiple times per enhance step.

4. What is desperation?

Deperation can only be played if your character is LESS Than Half (Rounded down) vitality. For example if your character is a 7/19 your character must be at 9 vitality or less to use desperation, if your character is a 7/18 however you must be 8 or less vitality.

Combo ability is played if the last 2 cards in your card pool are of the cards required by Combo (x, y) say x is a high weapon and y is a low attack if the 2 cards IMMEDIATELY PRECEEDING this attack are a high weapon and a low attack you may play the combo enhance/form on the attack/action.

every turn you have a card pool, only the player who's turn it is can play and perform forms though only cards you can play durring his turn are as follows: cards to block attacks, enhances from your hand, staging area, card pool, character and momentum, and Reversals; and both players clear their card pool durring the end phase as normal, you may add any attack you played durring the turn that dealt damage(not thru an ability) to your momentum if you chose.

as to the negatives of having a character commited, on the first turn you cant use any non active/static/continuous(whatever term you are accustom to) on your character unless it says playable while commited and thus you wont have any foundation/character to commit to pass checks. Any other time in the game it's just whether you can use your abilites or not though there are a few cards that if your character is commited can hurt you or help your opponent.

N.J.

thank you :)

NJBrock22 said:

You announce it as a form from your hand and play it to your card pool, durring your end phase when it is cleared from your card pool you attach it to your character and you gain any abilities(that you do NOT already have) and resources(also that you do not have) but you maintain your current max vitality and hand size.

Actions tell you when to play them denoted by the "F: E: or R:" on them and when you play them for that ability say you have 2 Form abilites on an action card you must CHOSE one of them to play and resolve that one, perfect example is test of strength, when you attempt to play it you chose one of the enhances to play, make the check, make the check for the cost and resolve it.

1 per card in play, hand, face up momentum, attack and character; though note only actions can be played for their enhance ability from your hand durring the enhance step. ONLY Exceptions to the rule are cards like **Kilik** who says you can play his enhance multiple times per enhance step.

4. What is desperation?

Deperation can only be played if your character is LESS Than Half (Rounded down) vitality. For example if your character is a 7/19 your character must be at 9 vitality or less to use desperation, if your character is a 7/18 however you must be 8 or less vitality.

Combo ability is played if the last 2 cards in your card pool are of the cards required by Combo (x, y) say x is a high weapon and y is a low attack if the 2 cards IMMEDIATELY PRECEEDING this attack are a high weapon and a low attack you may play the combo enhance/form on the attack/action.

every turn you have a card pool, only the player who's turn it is can play and perform forms though only cards you can play durring his turn are as follows: cards to block attacks, enhances from your hand, staging area, card pool, character and momentum, and Reversals; and both players clear their card pool durring the end phase as normal, you may add any attack you played durring the turn that dealt damage(not thru an ability) to your momentum if you chose.

as to the negatives of having a character commited, on the first turn you cant use any non active/static/continuous(whatever term you are accustom to) on your character unless it says playable while commited and thus you wont have any foundation/character to commit to pass checks. Any other time in the game it's just whether you can use your abilites or not though there are a few cards that if your character is commited can hurt you or help your opponent.

N.J.

A couple of small notes:

1) A character card will only attach during the end phase if it is the same name. EG you can't attach Rock Howard to King.

3) Some cards (The ultimate team for example) have 2 different enhances on them. You can play both enhances if you can pay the costs. Of course, chances are you're not going to want to use both enhances on TUT on the same attack... but you could. *cough*Hata*cough*

4) A 19 vitality character must also be at 8 to be at desperation. It's LESS THAN (HALF ROUNDED DOWN).

hmm could have sworn i worded 1 correctly, 3 yeah i screwed up on my math i admit that... 2 on the other hand, i'm pretty sure the rules explicitely say as i have it saved to my other cpu that when playing an action you must CHOSE 1 ability from it, you cant play all abilities on it (non static ones that is). i'll double check this when my cpu gets back up running.

N.J.

2 was correctly answered, 3 was close.

On an Action you can only use one ability on it, chosen at the time it's played. (unless it specifically says otherwise, Dramatic Monologue for example).

Any other card type, you can use each enhance on the card once.