a handful of questions.

By hoduken, in StarCraft

Okay so i have played 4 games of this now and were left scratching our heads over a handful of things. I looked for all of these and didn't find them.

1. Can Guardians attack air? they cant in the video game but in the boardgame i cant find anything that says i cant.

2. So i noticed that if i have a assist unit and marine in a location and im attacked by 5 other units they cant take the location because the assist unit must assist and my opponent must putt all 5 of his doods against my one marine. they kill him of course. but then they must retreat because i win the battle, as i have one unit left. Seems kinda broken. am i doing it wrong? I must be, because if the area has a base their i could always keep building one marine and make it near impossible for my opponent to take it.

3. So has anyone else noticed how easy Jim Raynors special win condition is? he needs to control 6 areas at stage 3? What is control exaclty. Do i control every area of a planet if i have a base their or do i need to have a unit on every space?

4. And i noticed that resources are gained automatically by having a base present on the planet but victory points are only gained during the regroup phase if you have a unit or base on the vp area, correct?

5. Last, do i get the resource card from a planet if i move a unit to the area that gives the resource? and do i lose it if i ever leave the area?

It helps if you do more than skim the rulebook before you play it. All of these are addressed in the rulebook.

1. For every unit on your faction sheet, under the printed cost of that unit, there is an area which designates what types of units that unit can attack. A siege tank turret icon represents the ability to attack ground units. A scout air to surface attack icon (from SC) represents the ability to attack air units. A unit can have 0-2 of these icons, and Guardians only have 1: the ground attack icon.

2. If the defender only has assist units remaining after the battle is over, the defender must retreat.

3. You control an area on a planet if you have either a unit or a base in that area.

4. Yes, though you also only gain the resource cards during the regrouping phase, not automatically upon building a base.

5. Directly from the rulebook, the third step of the Regrouping phase:

3. Gain Resource Cards. For each planet on which a player
has a base, he gains the Resource card for every friendly
area on that planet (if he does not have it already). If a
player is the only player on the planet with a base, he also
takes the Resource card for each empty area on the planet.

thanks for your response. i noticed however that the guardian is not listed on the faction sheets.

hoduken said:

thanks for your response. i noticed however that the guardian is not listed on the faction sheets.

It is there, but not on any Zerg building. It's a "tech-requiring" unit; you must research appropriate technology to build Guardians / Devourers / Lurkers / Archons / Dark Archons.

Say you attack a space with 4 units, lose nothing, but end up losing the combat. Your enemy base is on the planet, so you want to deny build space. There are two spaces out of 3 that you can fall back to, one with a 3 capacity and the other has a 4 capacity. Is it a legal move to place 3 units in the 3 capacity, and 1 in the other, or are you required to place all your units in one space if it is at all possible?

all retreating unit must go to same area if that area can't support that many units

the excess unit die

ps.after i read all your question

did you read the rule book ?

this rule bok is very hard to understand..

we are 3 players who read it and non of us completly understand.

hi,

i can understand that, the first time i opened the box, me and a friend tied to understand the rule, but finally after 2 hours we decided to play something "easier", though it was friday after work :) :)

i think than the game is easy to understand, if you know the rule hehe,, because the rule book is a nightmare ................ (i read it 3 times before start to play)

have a nice week :)

i read a rule book about 6 hours

then teach my friend about 1 hours

and we play it no more than 10 times T-T

One of the biggest problems in the rulebook is that many rules are split and described in part in 3 places. The Assist unit thing is partly described in Resolving Retreat under combat. And under Assist units. And under an example which absolutely shouldn't introduce new rules but only explain the other ones.

(i might refer to the wrong rule, but it goes for several)

/Y