Recreating the "Missing" Characters

By Slev, in Talisman Home Brews

All character pictures are with transparent background.

Do we want Watchman to be dependant on the City expansion? If yes, I have few ideas for his abilities.

No, we don't.

You'll note i added compatibility with The City, but his abilities don't depend on the City.

What do you mean compatibility? Your second ability is 2/3 dependant on City adventure deck.
Edited by Bludgeon

Just a note to beware when choosing supposed CC art. The first one you chose appears to be a commission, even though it is marked as CC. There are a few in the same style, so they could be for a game or something. I suspect it might just be a ticking of the wrong box.

1. The box is only in expansions, which is why I made it a native ability.

2. Your move variant is hidiously powerful in Talisman terms.

3. I do like your point 3. Point 4 is interesting, and I think it could work nicely if it's not allowed to combine with the bow ability.

1. I don't understand what you mean. That box?

2. It's very good, but no better than Dragon Rider's ability.

3. I agree. Maybe ability 4 only works if you don't use a weapon?

Just a note to beware when choosing supposed CC art. The first one you chose appears to be a commission, even though it is marked as CC. There are a few in the same style, so they could be for a game or something. I suspect it might just be a ticking of the wrong box.

As long as we're not trying to use it for profit, marketing etc. it falls under fair use I believe.

That is oversimplifying the issue, but I doubt it does actually constitute fair use, or fair dealing in the UK. Especially if you introduce printing by a third party where money does indeed change hands.

Either way, it is not a debate for here and the decision will be Slev's.

1. The box is only in expansions, which is why I made it a native ability.

2. Your move variant is hidiously powerful in Talisman terms.

3. I do like your point 3. Point 4 is interesting, and I think it could work nicely if it's not allowed to combine with the bow ability.

1. I don't understand what you mean. That box?

2. It's very good, but no better than Dragon Rider's ability.

3. I agree. Maybe ability 4 only works if you don't use a weapon?

Bow, rather than box. Typo.

so we agree on combat. Which gives interesting choices.

As for movement, roll two an dchose would make things sufficiently different from ridinga horse, but still not give too fine an ammount of control.

All character pictures are with transparent background.

Do we want Watchman to be dependant on the City expansion? If yes, I have few ideas for his abilities.

No, we don't.

You'll note i added compatibility with The City, but his abilities don't depend on the City.

What do you mean compatibility? Your second ability is 2/3 dependant on City adventure deck.

The background would have to be cut out, but that's a later problem.

Yes, one of the abilities has City cards added to it. This is thematic and adds a little bonus. The core abilities of the cards still work without The City in play though.

That is oversimplifying the issue, but I doubt it does actually constitute fair use, or fair dealing in the UK. Especially if you introduce printing by a third party where money does indeed change hands.

Either way, it is not a debate for here and the decision will be Slev's.

Yeah, I'm just getting ideas right now, I can look ionto these things more closely when I have a little more time.

I understand what you mean by the bow now.

However, there is another possibility - leave the satyr with bow object at the start of the game, and simply add 1 bow equipment card to character cards. That bow would be of course identical to the one from Cataclysm.

As for movement, roll two an dchose

That would be identical to the Amazon, which I wanted to avoid as I explained earlier.

Yes, one of the abilities has City cards added to it. This is thematic and adds a little bonus. The core abilities of the cards still work without The City in play though. Edited by Bludgeon

weaker version:

CENTAUR

STR 3, CRAFT 3, FATE 1, LIFE 5

neutral, any Plains

Special Abilities:

1. You begin the game with a Bow from the Purchase deck.

2. Instead of rolling for your move, you may gallop . Roll 2 dice and either move a number of spaces equal to the higher result, or equal to the sum of both results.

3. You may not use any Objects or Followers that alter your movement. You are still affected by Poltergeist.

4. You are prone to fits of rage. As long as you have less life than your Life Value, you add the difference to your Strength in battle but can't use any Weapons.

I understand what you mean by the bow now.

However, there is another possibility - leave the satyr with bow object at the start of the game, and simply add 1 bow equipment card to character cards. That bow would be of course identical to the one from Cataclysm.

As for movement, roll two an dchose

That would be identical to the Amazon, which I wanted to avoid as I explained earlier.

Yes, one of the abilities has City cards added to it. This is thematic and adds a little bonus. The core abilities of the cards still work without The City in play though. I understand.

I had considered adding a hndfull of standard cards to go with this lot. Add some goblins & wolves & Centaurs, etc, to the various decks, and a few Purchase cards to cover the likes of the Centaur and the Watchman. If we do, we can switch the centaur to just owning a bow, with free replacement at the Forrest.

weaker version:

CENTAUR

STR 3, CRAFT 3, FATE 1, LIFE 5

neutral, any Plains

Special Abilities:

1. You begin the game with a Bow from the Purchase deck.

2. Instead of rolling for your move, you may gallop . Roll 2 dice and either move a number of spaces equal to the higher result, or equal to the sum of both results.

3. You may not use any Objects or Followers that alter your movement. You are still affected by Poltergeist.

4. You are prone to fits of rage. As long as you have less life than your Life Value, you add the difference to your Strength in battle but can't use any Weapons.

Now that, I like!

I had considered adding a hndfull of standard cards to go with this lot. Add some goblins & wolves & Centaurs, etc, to the various decks, and a few Purchase cards to cover the likes of the Centaur and the Watchman. If we do, we can switch the centaur to just owning a bow, with free replacement at the Forrest.

Do you feel like that's worth the effort? In my opinion, if a character requires many cards to be added to a deck or many decks, there's something flawed in his makeup.

Anyway, my pitch on the Orc. Again, the character is different from the original, mostly because original is uninspired and weak.

ORC

STR 5, CRAFT 2, FATE 1, LIFE 4

evil, forest

Special Abilities:

1. You begin the game with an Axe from the Purchase deck.

2. Whenever you defeat an Animal, Dragon, or Monster in battle and gain the trophy, you make a soup out of them. Discard the trophy to roll 1 die and add trophy's Strength:

1-2) Tastes great.

3-5) Heal 1 life.

6-9) Heal 1 life and gain 1 Strength.

10+) Heal 1 life and gain 1 Strength. In addition, until the end of your next turn add 3 to your Strength.

3. After rolling the die in the Kitchen, you may add to 1 to the score.

art:

https://othertongues.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/alignment_orc.jpg

I allowed Orc to have an ability that only works with the dungeon, because it's very minor and mostly for flavor.

Edited by Bludgeon

Do you feel like that's worth the effort? In my opinion, if a character requires many cards to be added to a deck or many decks, there's something flawed in his makeup.

The reason it's worthwhile is less the characters and more the sheer quantity of extra expansion cards, diluting the appearance of these base game cards.

Anyway, my pitch on the Orc. Again, the character is different from the original, mostly because original is uninspired and weak.

I allowed Orc to have an ability that only works with the dungeon, because it's very minor and mostly for flavor.

I'll be honest, I don't like it.

I do appreciate the minor Dungeon tie-in.

I'll be honest, I don't like it.

I do appreciate the minor Dungeon tie-in.

That's cool, we can make Orc into something else.

The third group of Characters are those from Talisman: The Dungeon for 2nd edition

The Inquisitor is a fairly direct update, but much simplified and a lot less annoying.

Inquisitor-Front-Face.png

mini_2nd_inquisitor.jpg

The Wight is an update of the Dark Elf, but without having to riff off of D&D for the theme.

Wight-Front-Face.png

mini_2nd_dark_elf.jpg

The Duellist is a re-theme and update of the Martial Artist, that fits better with the game.

Duellist-Front-Face.png

mini_2nd_martial_artist.jpg

The Dryad update the Zulu, with a better theme, and rules consistent with 4R.

Dryad-Front-Face.png

mini_2nd_zulu.jpg

The Gorgon update the Saracen. As the slavery aspect was a little dark, and the implications of the original a touch racist, I completely re-themed the mechanics. Given the theme, I also tied it into the near-east mythologies, and moved the character to the Desert to start, as this seemed interesting.

Gorgon--Front-Face.png

mini_2nd_saracen.jpg

Possible art:

http://artgutierrez.deviantart.com/art/Lamia-195251962

Inquisitor. Mostly I like it as is, but wording could be improved I think.

1. You begin the game with 1 Spell.

2. You begin the game with alignment of your choice. Make the decision only after all other players have chosen their characters.

3. good as is

4. When you land on a space with another character of a different alignment, you may accuse them. Roll 1 die:

1) The accused redeems. His alignment changes to match yours.

2-3) The accused is transported to the City and loses 1 turn.

4-6) The accused is transported to the City, loses 2 turns and 1 life.

You cannot accuse other characters in the Inner Region.

Possible gorgon art:

http://www.aidedd.org/dnd/images/medusa.jpg

https://36.media.tumblr.com/81a34ea55d841bc78c753f4b658001e6/tumblr_nj7usjoNW61tp8xwio1_500.png

Edited by Bludgeon

I think your version of power 4 may be too far the other way.

How about....

When you encounter a character of a different alignment, you may try them for heresy instead of attacking them. Roll 1 die:

1) you miss your next turn;

2-3) they change their Alignment to match yours;

4-5) they must miss their next turn;

6) they are moved to their starting space and must miss their next turn.

This way, you won't just automatically use it as there is no risk to you, like there would be in combat.

I think your version of power 4 may be too far the other way.

How about....

When you encounter a character of a different alignment, you may try them for heresy instead of attacking them. Roll 1 die:

1) you miss your next turn;

2-3) they change their Alignment to match yours;

4-5) they must miss their next turn;

6) they are moved to their starting space and must miss their next turn.

This way, you won't just automatically use it as there is no risk to you, like there would be in combat.

There's no risk but notice there's also no reward. In your version, if you roll 4 or 5 (those should be useful results), your opponent loses 1 turn. But all you did this turn was make your opponent lose a turn, so technically you kinda lost your turn too.

On top of that, none of the result actually give you anything. You're slowing another player down, but in a 4 or more player game that's barely useful.

In combat you risk but at least you can get a good item.

I wouldn't use your version if I was playing inquisitor. Why would I if the only useful effect is on 6, and on 1 I lose this and next turn.

And yes, changing someone's alignment can be useful, but again, rarely. I'd rather just encounter the space, or attack that character, most of the time.

Edited by Bludgeon

How about if we make the roll in ADDITION to the normal turn?

How about if we make the roll in ADDITION to the normal turn?

You mean inquisitor attacks character and tries them for heresy at the same time?

How about...

When you land on a space with another character of a different alignment, you may accuse them instead of attacking them. You cannot accuse other characters in the Inner Region. Roll 1 die:

1) The accused turns the accusation against you. You loose 1 turn.

2) The accused redeems. Their alignment changes to match yours.

3-4) The accused loses 1 Life.

5) The accused loses 1 Life and 1 turn.

6) The accused is transported to their starting space and loses 1 Life.

I like it. Transporting them to the City makes more sense thematically and is true to original card, but starting space is also OK.

may accuse , not may accuse

You cannot accuse, move that sentence to the very end. First sentence and Roll 1 die shouldn't be split.

lose, not loose

life, not Life

Inquisitor art

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ef/0c/bf/ef0cbfb5b8a9b3774ec6340c532461b0.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-shMZFurcVeo/VG2tuSKAnZI/AAAAAAAACXY/c3bNDjAHeO4/s1600/154azbara.jpg

Edited by Bludgeon

Spot the dyslexic :P

I honestly can't see the difference unless the words are adjacent.

I think it's fixed.

The fourth group of Characters are those from Le Héraut Citadel #2 Magazine for 2nd edition, and the few 3 rd edition characters outstanding. This is where the “real” work begins :P Yeah, most of these are in need of work.

The Squire is an update in theme and mechanics of the Héraut/Herald. Having him start in the middle region also makes the character more interesting.

Squire-Front-Face.png

mini_2nd_heraut.jpg

The Badger-Kin was re-themed from the Skaven to remove the Warhammer influence, and I may have been hanging out with a badger-obsessed friend while working on this. The theme could easily be changed again.

Badger-Kin-Front-Face.png

mini_2nd_skaven.jpg

The Flagellant was based on the Witch Elf. The mechanics needed only a little work to get them fitting in with 4R.

Flagellant-Front-Face.png

mini_3rd_witch_elf.jpg

The Executioner was based on the Chaos Dwarf. My first pass left me with a character who’s only ability was to start with a Battleaxe from The City. This then depended on another expansion, and was a bit poor. I switched him around to make this.

Executioner-Front-Face.png

mini_3rd_chaos_dwarf.jpg

For the Kobold, I wanted to use a mythological creature who hadn’t been used yet, to explain its aberrant behaviour compared to other Characters. This is a re-theme of the Goblin Fanatic, and once more strips the Warhammer influence out.

Kobold-Front-Face.png

mini_3rd_goblin_fanatic.jpg

Chaos Dwarf I already did.

My take on the skaven.

RATLING

STR 3, CRAFT 3, FATE 2, LIFE 4

evil, ruins

Special Abilities:

1. You may use two Weapons at the same time in battle. If you do, subtract 1 from your attack roll.

2. When you encounter a Place, you may ignore it and teleport to any other space in any Region with a Place on it, and encounter that Place instead.

3. When you end your turn on a space with any Objects or Places, you may gnaw any of them to the discard pile.

4. When you land on the Ruins, you may draw three Adventure Cards, instead of two. If there are cards already on the Ruins, you only draw cards equal to the difference.

5. You are unaffected by Pestilence and the Leper. You are also unaffected by special abilities of Demon of Decay, Herald of Disease, and Horseman of Disease.

Edited by Bludgeon