Game Master's Kit Torpedo Info

By BrotherHostower, in Rogue Trader House Rules

I've seen a few well thought out torpedo entries in here and was wondering if any of the authors are going to change/amend their work now that we can tell the space/power it takes for Prow Torpedo Tubes (3 Power, 9 Space according to the ship Hand of Redemption)

I've been working on my own rules based on various fan material, and BFG manuals. I still need to do some proof reading, and play testing. The Nova cannon for example is just a place holder.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dwxgv5h_41gcr5q3gw

I haven't actually seen a GM's kit yet, but I'll be revising my rules for Fighters/Bombers/Torpedos accordingly.

What class ship is the Hand of Redemption?

I ask because Cobra Destroyers come in a version with torpedo tubes albeit less of them, thus smaller volleys.

I got it!

Ok, assuming the stat is for a Cruiser/Lt. Cruiser, and we know bitsy Destroyers have them I've come up with this based on the models available:

Space 9, Power 3, is a 6-Tube launcher available for Lt. Cruiser or bigger

Space 6, Power 2, is a 4-Tube launcher for Frigates/Raiders

Space 3, Power 1 is a 2-Tube launcher for the smaller Destroyer classes.

Sound doable?

Maxim C. Gatling said:

I got it!

Ok, assuming the stat is for a Cruiser/Lt. Cruiser, and we know bitsy Destroyers have them I've come up with this based on the models available:

Space 9, Power 3, is a 6-Tube launcher available for Lt. Cruiser or bigger

Space 6, Power 2, is a 4-Tube launcher for Frigates/Raiders

Space 3, Power 1 is a 2-Tube launcher for the smaller Destroyer classes.

Sound doable?

Assuming then a hypothetical Space 12, Power 4 version for battleships like the Retribution-class (a Retribution's torpedo tubes are strength 9 in BFG, half as big again as those used by Cruisers)

I revised my own torpedo rules to fit with this. I don't think I've posted them, and I know I haven't done so since I fixed a major problem with the concept.

• Torpedoes are fired in salvoes equal to their Strength. They travel a number of VUs equal to their Range every round on the Initiative of the ship that fired them, including the round they are fired.
• When they arrive within one VU of any ship at any point in the movement, roll a number of d10s equal to the Strength of the Salvo. Each die that scores 6+ means a torpedo’s auto-targeting systems have locked on, causing it to strike the enemy vessel. If the die rolls equal to or under the ship’s Turret Rating, however, it is destroyed.
• The torpedoes apply damage directly to the Armor and Hull Integrity of the opposing vessel, ignoring Void Shields. Add together the damage from all attacking torpedoes before comparing it to the ship’s armor.
• Any torpedoes that did not hit continue moving past the ship.

Appropriate Hulls* Power Space Str Damage Crit Rng
Destroyer Torpedo Tubes Raider, Frigate, 2 3 2 1d10+3 4 10
Cruiser Torpedo Tubes Light Cruiser, Cruiser 3 9 6 1d10+3 4 10
Eldar Torpedoes** +4 -1 3 10

SP Costs: Destroyer Tubes 1, Cruiser Tubes 2, Eldar Torpedoes +2

*Standard vessels can only mount Torpedoes in Prow weapon slots. Some Xenos are known to mount them on keel launchers, like the devious Eldar.
**Eldar Torpedoes can be mounted in standard torpedo tubes. They modify the profile of the weapon component as listed, but re-roll the result of any dice that do not result in a torpedo locking on, which may allow a torpedo to avoid being destroyed by turrets.

RocketPropelledGrenade said:

• When they arrive within one VU of any ship at any point in the movement, roll a number of d10s equal to the Strength of the Salvo. Each die that scores 6+ means a torpedo’s auto-targeting systems have locked on, causing it to strike the enemy vessel. If the die rolls equal to or under the ship’s Turret Rating, however, it is destroyed.

Going by that method, that means that turrets don't actually defend against Torpedoes... they just shoot down the ones that miss. An alternative might be rolling equal to 6+ the target vessel's Turret Rating on each d10, as that way a ship with lots of defensive turrets will be harder to torpedo...

RocketPropelledGrenade said:

Appropriate Hulls* Power Space Str Damage Crit Rng
Destroyer Torpedo Tubes Raider, Frigate, 2 3 2 1d10+3 4 10
Cruiser Torpedo Tubes Light Cruiser, Cruiser 3 9 6 1d10+3 4 10
Eldar Torpedoes** +4 -1 3 10

SP Costs: Destroyer Tubes 1, Cruiser Tubes 2, Eldar Torpedoes +2

*Standard vessels can only mount Torpedoes in Prow weapon slots. Some Xenos are known to mount them on keel launchers, like the devious Eldar.
**Eldar Torpedoes can be mounted in standard torpedo tubes. They modify the profile of the weapon component as listed, but re-roll the result of any dice that do not result in a torpedo locking on, which may allow a torpedo to avoid being destroyed by turrets.

Because there's no table formatting, the line for Eldar Torpedoes is unclear. Is the +4 to the power requirement, or is it applied to Space or something else entirely? Is the -1 applied to Strength, or Damage? The 3 and the 10 are clearly applied to Crit and Range, but those are the only ones I'm certain of.

You make a good point about Turrets. How does this sound: Torpedoes auto target on a 4+, but are shot down on a result of (11-vessel's turret rating). I like that it encourages you to roll in the middle range personally, but some might not.

As far as Eldar Torpedoes, they take up 4 more power and 1 less space. I figure they fit a deadly charge into a more compact warhead, but "fueling" their crystal matrix propulsion is difficult. Or some similar technobabble. Strength and Damage are the same as Imperial torpedoes.

Oh, and combining the two topics, under the changed concept of targeting, Eldar torpedoes may re-roll results that involve being destroyed by turrets, which may lead to them choosing easier prey by re-joining the original salvo.

Here's the way I do it:

Standard "Dumbfire" Torpedoes travel in a straight line until they come within 1VU of a large object which they will automatically home in on and Hit. As torpedoes are fired in Salvoes, one per Tube, and each causes 1 Hit (results will vary according to Warhead Type) 'Strength' of the Salvo is therefore irrelevant.

What?!? No To-Hit rolls?!? Here's why:

• A character's Ballistic Skill has nothing to do with the automated targeting of a Torpedo. Some homebrew rules account for that, some don't and give the Torpedo itself a static To-Hit target number. I rely on the Blessed Emperor and the fine quality control of the Mechanicus instead.
  • Even with rudimentary guidance systems, a Torpedo should be able to hit an object the size of a skyscraper...especially if it's the only object within 10,000km.
  • I use Small Craft and one of the major functions of Fighters is to shoot down Torpedoes.
  • One of the main tactical uses of Torpedoes (in BFG) is to force a ship to change its course. Another is to use them as a long range weapon that will keep the enemy busy warding them off while your ship advances safely into MacroCannon range. Standard Torpedoes are pretty easy to avoid, so chances are most Salvos will simply sail off the end of the table. Not to mention, they're an expensive weapon to fire...one of the very few weapons I make my PC's keep track of inventory on.
  • Turrets fire at a negative modifier at salvos which come within 1VU, at the crew's BS rating. Each level of success eliminates one torpedo from the salvo.
  • Players should know that if their ship has no Turrets or Fighters then they better **** well either Disengage or if they insist on engaging a ship with Tubes, stay out of the ships Fore Arc. JUST AS THEY WOULD if the thing had a Nova Cannon. If they don't, I can't pity them because they were too stupid to live. Just because it's an RPG doesn't mean tactics and strategy aren't involved. Live, Learn, Supply New Character Sheets.
  • If all else fails, Characters can use Fate Points to avoid Torpedo Hits.

So the chances of ANY Standard Torpedoes from a salvo of say...6....actually hitting anything are pretty slim unless your Players are the type of people who shout "LEEeeeROY Jenkiiiinnns!!!!" before going into battle. And if they are, they deserve 6 Plasma Torpedoes in the face. That'll learn 'em!

It's easy. One Torp, One Hit, apply damage according to Warhead Type. There are numerous ways to take out/avoid Torpedoes and extra dice rolls only bog the game down and work for the player defensively while working against him/her offensively. Torpedoes are expensive and have specific pros and cons, so smart players are going figure out how to use them wisely and get their Profit Factor Acquisition's worth out of them.

Ok, throwing out my group's mockup of Torp Rules to get some feedback:

Rules meant for ease and speed rather than complexity or 'true to bfg' style

Mars Pattern Torpedo (standard)

Strength 2/4/6 (depending on ship size, 2 for destroyer/raider, 4 for frigate/light cruiser, 6 for cruiser/heavy cruiser)

Space - 3/6/9

Power - 1/2/3

Ship Points - 2 (War)

DMG - 1d10+2 Crit3 (augmented if you have munitorium)

Range - 15+

Special - Torpedo/Reload

Reload - Can only be fired every other round, on a 96-100, your ammunition is spent and you must take an upkeep test at an appropriate place to aquire more.

Torpedo - Anytime you fire toredoes at your enemy after15 VU's, they can choose to take the evasive manuever action outside of their turn (they'll suffer the penalty to shooting for it on their next turn), this represents them attempting to move out of the path of the speeding building sized explosives and achieve safe distance from them without having to actually count out range and give them a speed (a very very high speed if we take bfg speeds into account)

To fire, make a ballistic test as normal, at -10 per turret rating of the opposing ship (to represent their turrets attempting to shoot down the incoming torpedoes).

Torpedo's ignore void shields but will suffer penalty to hit from things such as, evasive manuevers or ghost shields as normal (as per bfg). Their range is 15 VU's PLUS, meaning you can fire them at anything you can "see", they travel under their own motive power and will simply continue on toward their destination (even in bfg, if you waited to fire your torps at the proper range, your opponent wasn't getting out of the way of them without a figher screen) Range and the option to evasive manuever ahead of time at long range was chosen to avoid tracking a 3d field of battle on a 2d surface. The penalty to hit was chosen to keep things moving as quickly and smoothly as possible (less die rolls = faster game