Pre Made Decks

By buzard, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

How about packaging some pre-made decks and selling them in pairs like all the other card games? This would be a quick and cheap way to learn Netrunner. The easier we make it for people to try the game the more will become regulars.

Include a score pad to replace the counters and the web address to d/l the manual.

Take 2 ID's for each corp 8 in all and 8 runner ID's and pair them up.

Sound like a good idea to me.

Get them into Toys R Us, Walmart, Target etc.

A couple of reasons:

With all the other games, random assortment means you might see any of those starter deck cards rarely, if ever. That's not the case with the Living Card Game model--any cards you'd get through one-off product would decrease the value of other products in the line.

The LCG model is also built around the Core Set, which is designed to be the entry point for out-of-the-box play. I suspect they're not interested in publishing an item whose sole purpose would be to undercut sales of the central product of the game line.

A score pad is unlikely because the use of such isn't tournament legal.

They've also already started publishing the World Championship decks, which does exacerbate my first point to a certain degree, but there are certain cards you wouldn't mind more of for multiple decks. That said, I don't really need more copies of Queens Gambit or Adonis Campaign.

Nothing has to be tournament legal. It's an introduction level item. It would create interest to buy the core set in someone who would not have considered it before trying the "duel decks". Since having extra of the good cards is always nice, there is no depreciation of value of the cards.

Edited by buzard

FFG is simply not going to print a product that introduces people to the game, gets them to play a certain way, then pulls the rug out from under them to say "you must play this different way with different materials in order to participate in Organized Play."

It would create interest to buy the core set in someone who would not have considered it before trying the "duel decks."

Considering that the price point of the duel decks is probably not going to be significantly cheaper than a core set (probably in the $20-30 range) I frankly doubt your assertion. Nothing pisses people off more than to buy a product and then find out "you mean I have to buy this other $40 product in order to get into the game?"

Having extra of the good cards is always nice

You haven't thought it through. It's not the good cards that are the problem, it's the midrange and poorer cards that are the problem. The vast bulk of the card pool are cards that are "okay" but are situational, easily countered, or less efficient than the cards that make the tournament decks. Take Creation & Control for example. Extra Clone Chips and Dirty Laundries and Same Old Things don't suck, but do you need more than 3 copies of Minelayer? Of Zed 1.0? Of Exploratory Romp? If you're already sitting on copies of those lower tier cards then the prospect of buying more is going to be soured.

We already have real-world experience that proves what I'm saying: the Netrunner Draft Packs don't sell at all well, because at the end of the day you have a stack of marginally useful cardboard. It's great that I was able to get a few more Hedge Funds and maybe a couple of other staple cards, but I'm here to tell you I did not need seven copies of Lockpick.

And if you're putting people in the position where they look at a pack and think "jeez, if I buy this then that's just 3 more copies of cards X and Y that I wasn't going to play much with anyway, why should I bother," that's bad for the game.

Edited by Grimwalker