Fixing the Flail

By Osbo25, in Talisman

Nothing too profound here. This is just a thought that's been bouncing around my head the last couple of days.

The Flail is too powerful. It can turn a Strength 1 Sprite into an unstoppable force. I'm not a big fan of there being single objects/followers/etc. that can throw the game that far out of balance so easily--especially since you can get it for 1g or less (under the right circumstances, of course).

If it were up to me (which, outside of my own house, it isn't) I'd change the Flail like this:

1) You automatically roll a 6 for your attack roll in battle.

2) Roll two dice. If you roll doubles your opponent may not roll for his attack roll.

It's still powerful, but no overly so; and it still gives the chance for your opponent not rolling. But it also make the Great Sword a more favorable option. Do you want a +3 with an die roll added on top? Or do you simply want an automatic 6 for your die roll? Just so long as you have a higher strength than your opponent the automatic 6 is an automatic win. But you can do better than that half the time (statistically speaking) if you take the Great Sword.

This seems to balance out the Flail, bringing it down to the level of some of the other weapons in the game.

Flail's been discussed to death :)

Your proposal is an interesting take, I wouldn't be against it.

you'd be reducing average gain of flail from +4 strength to +3 making it slightly worse than the battle axe. Perhaps just +3 and if roll equals opponent only your roll is added? would make it +3,5

personally i'd prefer to double all weapon costs in the armory. in some ways spellbook and warhorse are a lowcosted as the weapons but at least those are somewhat easier to lose.

you'd be reducing average gain of flail from +4 strength to +3 making it slightly worse than the battle axe. Perhaps just +3 and if roll equals opponent only your roll is added? would make it +3,5

personally i'd prefer to double all weapon costs in the armory. in some ways spellbook and warhorse are a lowcosted as the weapons but at least those are somewhat easier to lose.

I'm not quite sure how it makes the average gain of the flail only +3 when what I'm proposing always gives the flail +6. Could you show your math, please? This just isn't making any sense.

I don't mind the costs of the weapons. What I do mind is how easy it is to get things at either no cost or only 1g.

Battle axe is another serious offender in this expansion. +3 for 4 gold? Cmon....

Edited by Bludgeon

I'm not quite sure how it makes the average gain of the flail only +3 when what I'm proposing always gives the flail +6. Could you show your math, please? This just isn't making any sense.

I don't mind the costs of the weapons. What I do mind is how easy it is to get things at either no cost or only 1g.

average roll 3,5, average benefit from always 6= 2,5. chance of rolling doubles 1/6 * opponent average roll of 3,5= 0,58333. Total = 3,08333.

battle axe can cut through armor. which id say is worth more than the 0,08333 extra strength...

True, even if you fix cost you wouldnt fix people getting the right cards...its not too big an issue, there's only a few cards doing so and generally city cards dont give much on average, even if you do have gold.

I agree battleaxe is also OP, but greatsword is actually more or less correctly costed. Perhaps the fix is to remove battle axe and flail or give them some clear disadvantage like a chance of breaking them, losing the battle or losing a life.

Perhaps making flail +1, roll 2 dice but choose best and opponent doesnt add if double (equals +2,5) and battleaxe some special effect like 3d6 in battle dont add strength or if roll equals opponents always win regardless of battlescores.

Or just let it be:) There's a fairly long list of things that are stupidly imbalanced in talisman, and once you start houseruling its hard to find a place to stop:P although i agree the armoury is one of those that comes into play most often

Edited by Rawsugar