How can I start

By auxlen, in CoC General Discussion

Hi all,

I've never played this game but after enjoying Elder signs i want to give it go.

However, it seems the core sets are no longer available (or are overpriced).

So my question is how can someone play the game by purchasing expansions...which are readily available.

Well firstly welcome to an awesome game.

Secondly, more chat for this game can be found on cardgamedb.com than here :)

Thirdly, as well as card decks (compile from expansions, deluxes, cores etc) you need the following things from a core set:

1: Rulebook (downloadable)

2: Board (you can probably print this to card from a good scan/photo)

3: Counters (really anything would do, eg glass beads)

4: Domain markers (you could use anything really, card printouts or beads again)

5: A story deck: Essential! . Core sets have one, but also they appear in the secrets of arkham OR the shifting sands OR a necronomicon draft starter pack (still available from ffg)

Each has different merits. You only ever use one at once so you only "need" one, but you DO need one.

So its best to have a core set, but a downloaded rulebook, a bunch of cards + printed board + bags of counters + a story deck gets you the game really.

Best of luck :)

Different packs have cards for different factions so check before you buy using cardgamedb.com

:)

Edited by alexbobspoons

I think it's quite possible to play the game without a core set. You could pick up any two of the deluxe expansions dedicated to one of the game's factions. Then you'll need a set of story cards as alexbobspoons already posted as item 5. The least expensive option is probably the Necronomicon Starter, but if you get the Secrets of Arkham deluxe set, you'' also get a few extra cards for each faction. Alternatively, you could add the Terror in Venice deluxe set, which also has cards for every faction plus a few interesting Conspiracy cards.

Everything else isn't required (assuming you download the rulebook, and the latest FAQ).

You may also want to head over to CardgameDB ( http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/forum/11-call-of-cthulhu-lcg/ ) since it's the most likely place to find CoC players that are still active. You can also find a deckbuilder and an overview of all available sets there: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/CoC/CoCCards.html

Many Thanks...will check out the forum...hopefully i can find a core set for not too much soon.

So FFG has no plans for a reprint of the core set? That's too bad. I'm looking to get this for my son and I.

So how many cores are recommended (assuming I can get them)? Or would you all recommend the newer card game that just came out? Although personally I think I would prefer the competitive game versus the co-operative.

So FFG has no plans for a reprint of the core set? That's too bad. I'm looking to get this for my son and I.

So how many cores are recommended (assuming I can get them)? Or would you all recommend the newer card game that just came out? Although personally I think I would prefer the competitive game versus the co-operative.

For a full playset of cards it's 3 cores, but if you can get enough other boxes for a good card selection then 1 core would be fine.

Really even 1 core isn't strictly necessary as the story card decks are available in other sets, the counters can be improvised and the board can be printed from a good Google images picture.

So if you can get cos good but if not don't worry.

There is much more chat and fans of this game at cardgamedb.com than here, so I'd join there for good advice :)

This game remains fantastic.

Thanks for the advice! Just got my first core set today. Gonna get some games in with my son and then see where to take the collection from there. Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice! Just got my first core set today. Gonna get some games in with my son and then see where to take the collection from there. Thanks again!

Is great if your son decides he doesn't like the game as you can still play