Use Approximate Incomes (p.72) for your Treasure Determination..and loot overload!

By Emirikol, in WFRP House Rules

I've found the Approximate Incomes (p.72 core) as the best measure for treasure determination. I recommend all GM's copy this chart and stick it to their GM's screen. I use "Merrcenary" for the base. That's around 10s for a day's work.

A second house rule that I use to keep players to a reasonable amount is that when players "Greyhawk the Bodies" (i.e. take the armor, swords, shoes, underwear, spleens and earwax from every bandit they meet and sell them), they have the following qualities:

• Craftsmanship (p.72) is "poor" because of wear and tear. This gives any of those items a "misfortune" die. Purpose of this rule: you want to min-max your character with "broke"? Welcome to a world where nothing is free.
  • Poor craftsmanship items are not saleable unless a PC has the appropriate "Crafstman" skill to "shine them up."

The final house rule I use on the subject is:

• All "loot" items "sell" for 50% normal value (modified by haggle). This includes art & gems.

jh

The only problem I have with your Craftmanship house rule is that if they are Poor quality to start with, the opponents should be getting an extra Misfortune die added to all their rolls as well; otherwise, it's a bit gamey to assume that they are all average quality weapons up until the point where the PCs defeat their opponents, then they degrade.

I like the idea of all "loot" items selling for 50% of value. In the case of weapons and armour, I would have merchants treat them as one level of craftsmanship lower due to the items being used and then start the haggling at 50% of that.

The time honored tradition of looting the bodies of fallen opponents shouldn't be as big of an issue in WFRP. Taking the time to loot bodies in a town setting is just asking for the Watch to show up and arrest you. Taking the time to loot bodies in the wilderness is just asking for more enemies to show up. However, anything you abandon will certainly be gone if you go back for it.

Don't forget that the encumbrance rules are a *****. Average starting PCs generally can't afford to carry extra weapons or sackfuls of loot.

Not that I have any problems with the idea, but the first time PC's try to 'Greyhawk' some stuff (love that term) have the trader report them to the watch as suspected bandits. Why else would a stranger be selling a load of bloodstained gear?

Alternatively, if the broke character wants to equip themselves for free - give them a complementary side order of lice! Misfortune dice on all rolls until you can get rid of them all .

Finally, on the quality issue - have you noticed that the monsters and NPC's in the ToA have slightly lower DR for their weapons than you'd expect. For example the Soldier has DR 4 (a Hand Weapon is 5). There's your justification for equipment being poor quality - it's battered and worn.

mac40k said:

The only problem I have with your Craftmanship house rule is that if they are Poor quality to start with, the opponents should be getting an extra Misfortune die added to all their rolls as well; otherwise, it's a bit gamey to assume that they are all average quality weapons up until the point where the PCs defeat their opponents, then they degrade.

Yes, it's gamey, but it has solved 99% of my issues :)

jh