Coin Caps

By Dargenom, in Runebound

Me and my friends have been playing a downright ridiculous amount of runebound since it came out, so much so that the enemy combat tokens have visible wear and tear on them. Fortunately, it seems that the tokens are the exact size of swedish 5-crown coins, which means that finding coin caps for them is pretty easy. The ones I bought were the No. 303522 29mm Lighthouse/Leuchtturm coin caps and the tokens fit perfectly in them and look great. Figured I would share it in case someone else was having the wear & tear problem, wanted their tokens to be shinier or just prefer the feel of plastic rather than cardboard. :)

Excuse the grainy picture, my iphone 4 was the only camera i had on hand.

EfsowDn.jpg?1

Great idea!

Can imagine the game gets a lot noisier with these, but surely no worse than dice.

Probably adds a nice feel to them as well I imagine?

Pity my copy of Runebound doesn't see enough play to warrant capping my tokens.

It's true that they make a bit of a clattering sound if flipped onto the table, especially if they don't land flat. We usually use a felt-lined dice tray for the dice and the coin caps don't make that much noice when flipped onto the tray either, so the noise hasn't been that big of an issue for us.

Eih! That seems great! Where did you bought them?

I bought them through the swedish auction website "Tradera", although if you live elsewhere it's probably cheaper to buy it through their own site. (www.leuchtturm.com) :)

Hi

Thx for this brilliant idea. I bought them on Allegro in Poland, because from manufacturer side (leuchtturm.com) was too expensive.

The noise for me and for my friends it is not a big problem. We usually play on the mat (like form wargamesmat, gamemat.eu, urbanmatz etc) and for the dice and coin caps this is perfect - you don't hear to much sound.

One more time - thank you Dargenom to shown this.

Cheers.

I absolutely love this idea! Thanks for sharing. :)

Great idea for sure, need to find the same in France, now ;)

I would wonder, are they completely symmetric, top and bottom?

If there is only a small difference in weight, one side will come up more than the other.

That's a good question jvdvalk. I never thought about whether the caps were fair or not, although they are symmetrical.

I'll have to remember to write down the flips in my next few games, and see if either side is favored.

I picked up the 29mm on Amazon recently. They too were made by lighthouse. I was inspired by watching jplay using them on his play through.

On 7/25/2017 at 11:00 AM, jvdvalk said:

I would wonder, are they completely symmetric, top and bottom?

If there is only a small difference in weight, one side will come up more than the other.

I opted for the coin caps as well. Purchased 100 for $13. Weighing both halves of the coin cap shows the inner cap at 16 grains and the outer cap at 18 grains. (1.1 grams & 1.2 grams).

I tend to doubt this would impact the outcome much, perhaps even less than the rounded vs sharp edges on the punch tokens would. That said, I plan on pulling tokens out of a cloth bag, stacking them in my grip while in the bag and transferring the stack to the table. However they are stacked is how they are 'cast'.

On 2/17/2019 at 5:07 PM, Ocedoc said:

I opted for the coin caps as well. Purchased 100 for $13. Weighing both halves of the coin cap shows the inner cap at 16 grains and the outer cap at 18 grains. (1.1 grams & 1.2 grams).

I tend to doubt this would impact the outcome much, perhaps even less than the rounded vs sharp edges on the punch tokens would. That said, I plan on pulling tokens out of a cloth bag, stacking them in my grip while in the bag and transferring the stack to the table. However they are stacked is how they are 'cast'.

I agree, i think the naked carboard tokens are worse in terms of the difference in the edge. the caps are much more symmetrical. also it gives the game a more "runey" feeling imho in terms of touch quality vs paper based punch card tokens. definitely an upgrade.

Edited by Viperho