1 scenario per mythos pack and deck building

By Tromsicle, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

This may have been discussed elsewhere but i was unable to find anything so i've started a new thread.

I'm slightly confused with how the campaign structure will work in this game. So from the sounds of it each big box will kick of a campaign that will last through the following cycle. During the campaign you will be modifying your deck as you level up. So since FFG typically releases one mythos pack a month this means if you are up to date a campaign can take 6 months or so to complete.

So my question is how will this work from a practical stand point. Does this mean you will only play one game of Arkham horror a month? If not i'm assuming it will mean you have multiple campaigns going, then what do you do with your decks? Do you have to log what you have in them and rip them apart to play another campaign or standalone mission? This seems a bit cumbersome.

Thoughts?

This may have been discussed elsewhere but i was unable to find anything so i've started a new thread.

I'm slightly confused with how the campaign structure will work in this game. So from the sounds of it each big box will kick of a campaign that will last through the following cycle. During the campaign you will be modifying your deck as you level up. So since FFG typically releases one mythos pack a month this means if you are up to date a campaign can take 6 months or so to complete.

So my question is how will this work from a practical stand point. Does this mean you will only play one game of Arkham horror a month? If not i'm assuming it will mean you have multiple campaigns going, then what do you do with your decks? Do you have to log what you have in them and rip them apart to play another campaign or standalone mission? This seems a bit cumbersome.

Thoughts?

Play with new friends. =) There's 10 2-player combos from the Core Set alone. They can't all Play the same

Play solo for each of the 5 Investigators. Play each of the 4 modes. That's 20 replays right there. Try playing to get all the available victory points. Each time the encounter deck is shuffled differently, too. Maybe you get 3 Enemies in a row, maybe you get 3 Treacheries in a row. Maybe your Weakness is in your starting hand, maybe you never draw your personal Asset. There's a ton of replayability.

I imagine you just need to record each playthrough results and player deck after each so you can continue that campaign. So you could have 10 campaigns running side by side.

Or

They do say you can play any scenario as a standalone. So maybe have a single long campaign but also play a lot of standalone replays of scenarios

I am Also concerned by this, since my gaming group starting playing LOTR its been convenient that we own all the packs for the first cycle so we can jump through multiple scenarios. I'm Not really sure how this will work with our gaming group. Probably play the scenario once and then play mansions or something.

I'm not sure if they said anything about failing missions I know there's negative effectives for going insane and such that carry over but do we have to beat the scenario to move on or is there a pass and fail mechanic?

I'm not sure if they said anything about failing missions I know there's negative effectives for going insane and such that carry over but do we have to beat the scenario to move on or is there a pass and fail mechanic?

Failure is an option in this game. An Investigator can always resign, leave the scenario, but still be available to start the next one. And it seems to me that if the encounter deck finishes its Agenda before you finish your Act, you can still go onto the next quest, just with a starting handicap, and no XP to spend on upgrades.

Yeah, we'll have to record our decks so that we can start other games/campaigns. I'll be using arkhamdb.com to record my decks.

You could wait until all of them are out too. Or just start from scratch every time a new once comes out. That may seem absurd, but some people reread all of the harry potter books every time a new one came out. Replay the whole campaign starting with the new cards sounds fun and may be what I want to do for the fun of it.

Yeah, we'll have to record our decks so that we can start other games/campaigns. I'll be using arkhamdb.com to record my decks.

Ya this is probably what I will do as well. I'm sure it won't be all that much of a hassle as I'm modifying / rebuilding decks in other games on a regular basis anyways.

Edited by Tromsicle

I will probably be doing something similar. I will probably have 2 main games going that I record. The campaign I play solo. And the campaign I play at my flgs when a new pack comes out with my friends. Other then that, might play side campaigns to test out decks or investigators, and in those games I may be more liberal with the deck building rules for play testing sake.

Another concern I do have with the campaign aspect. Is lets say you are playing a campaign at the local flgs like I am planning to do. Well what do you do when some one can't show up? Or a new player wants to join the campaign. Lets say you are on mythos pack 4. It presents some natural problems we will probably have to house rule to resolve. Any thoughts ?

Each scenario awards a range of xp, base xp plus bonus xp for achieving certain goals (e.g. clearing rooms of clues).

Joining in mid campaign will probably give you base xp for the campaign so far, you may have less xp than the other investigators but you won't have wasted xp switching 0 cost cards. Plus you'll have access to cards that were unavailable at the start of the campaign.

What is strange is the 0 xp cards that will come in the later expansion packs.

If you want to add one to your deck you have to either (i) pay what will be scarce experience (and could be used elsewhere), (ii) have a nice talent like adaptable (limited for several classes, and again costing XP), or (iii) restart the whole campaign from scratch. Or will they maybe add some other mechanic to include those cards in the game?

Do we know this for certain? I've not read anything that suggests this. I would guess that the lower level cards will be in the early packs within a cycle, and later cycle packs have higher level ones.

Even if that is not the case, there are ways around it with certain cards (they only showed 1 but I'd be surprised if there are not others too). They might also have specific rules for some scenarios that allow certain cards to be changed (the Saga expansions did this in LotR).

The first pack will contain cards costing 0-2

Do we know this for certain? I've not read anything that suggests this. I would guess that the lower level cards will be in the early packs within a cycle, and later cycle packs have higher level ones.

Even if that is not the case, there are ways around it with certain cards (they only showed 1 but I'd be surprised if there are not others too). They might also have specific rules for some scenarios that allow certain cards to be changed (the Saga expansions did this in LotR).

I believe Museum has Delve Too Deep as a zero level card

I do not have more info than you do, but as others have said, the first AP already has a level 0 card. Even so, there would be something strange with an AP containing cards that cost XP.

The only solution I see is that, after finishing AP2, you can hold your experience until you start AP3. Before starting the next mission you can decide where to use it (including the new cards from AP3). Still a bit strange since I will want to test some combos, etc before being ready to face the next adventure

Still a bit strange since I will want to test some combos, etc before being ready to face the next adventure

You can use the standalone scenario rules for that sort of thing.

Still a bit strange since I will want to test some combos, etc before being ready to face the next adventure

You can use the standalone scenario rules for that sort of thing.

Yes, but which one? I do AP3 as standalone as a test...and then I repeat AP3? Do I use an old one?

Also, if I do standalone I assume I don't have XP to start with?

Nothing is completely wrong in here, just that I hope they have thought of it

The only solution I see is that, after finishing AP2, you can hold your experience until you start AP3. Before starting the next mission you can decide where to use it (including the new cards from AP3). Still a bit strange since I will want to test some combos, etc before being ready to face the next adventure

This has been mentioned in other posts. Seems to be the most logical and sensible solution. You can't continue a campaign until you have the next pack anyway, so may as well wait until you have it before spending experience from the previous scenario.