Please include an alternative for abilities that do not work in RtL

By Borsook, in Road to Legend

As it stands there are many heroes' abilities or class skills that refer the Overlord and the RtL manual just states that they do not have any effect. That is really unsatisfactory, we need a set a general abilities, heroic feats etc to substitute those - each affected hero could have the same generic ability. Sure, this can be houseruled, but for balance reasons it would be great if it came from FFG.

Have you checked this? Some issues have already been resolved, but others flat out have no effect. I think the idea in my group is to just not pick those characters or classes until this gets an update.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/14/43/1443102c-0180-4ffa-8ab2-514d1845f805/road_to_legend_rules.pdf

Of course I have. Most of the time they just say "no effect" Which means some characters are simply a bad choice, the same as some skills (e.g. Marshal)

What is needed is a separate game entirely, rather than a split focus.

Careful with your wishes. Because they could just name it "Descent 3rd edition" and remove support of Ol completely.

Edited by Voidez

Careful with your wishes. Because they could just name it "Descent 3rd edition" and remove support of Ol completely.

I know, and it's something I dread. They already ruined Mansions of Madness, before I even had a chance to get all the expansions, even after I asked them if they were going to go into reprint and they said yes.

But either way, I can just say that trying to do both things in a single system is going to be an ongoing disaster in terms of compromise. The best solution would be if they launched a completely stand-alone game for Road to Legend, with a Descent 2nd Ed. conversion kit, after which each game will be considered completely separate.

The trouble with alternative abilities is that the heroes don't have cards that say what the "new" abilities are. If RtL were a physical product it probably wouldn't be a big deal to include revised cards for some skills, but then you're talking about hero sheets, too. I'm very much OK with the idea that the marshal is just a "bad" (or at least "sub-optimal") class for RtL. It's designed to be a class that combats the OL, and that's just not something relevant to the app, in the same way that skill affecting the travel step don't really have relevance.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say they should be separate games because it would be silly to sell the physical components of RtL separately since it would just be an incomplete Descent core set. Even the people who buy D2E just for RtL have the OL components, and might decide to play that way eventually (and invest in more content). People who buy for the normal playstyle can use the app to its full extent without purchasing any new components (though app content won't be free forever). That being said, the gametypes are very different. For some, the OL mechanic is just a problematic quirk- for others, it's the heart of the game.