Frodo Fellowship version change

By JYoder, in Rules questions & answers

I'm playing quests in the Land of Shadow saga exp. Can I play with any version of Fellowship Frodo from past saga exps, or do I have to use the version that came in this box? The rules on page 4 seem a bit vague, without saying one way or the other... or I'm being dense. :P

I read it as able to choose any of the versions of Fellowship Frodo.

Edited by Kakita Shiro

All that is required is that you play a "ring bearer". Beyond that, you're good.

You can always switch versions of a hero that you are playing with, including both the Fellowship hero (as long as it's a version of a Ringer-bearer or of Aragorn, as the game text allows), and your regular heroes. If you have Tactics Boromir in one quest, you are free to switch to Leadership Boromir in the next quest if you wish.

You can always switch versions of a hero that you are playing with, including both the Fellowship hero (as long as it's a version of a Ringer-bearer or of Aragorn, as the game text allows), and your regular heroes. If you have Tactics Boromir in one quest, you are free to switch to Leadership Boromir in the next quest if you wish.

Oh wow, didn't know that. Will have to look at the rules again as I missed that one.

Can also switch heroes freely among groups if you have multiple players in the game. I believe this is all mentioned in the campaign FAQ in The Road Darkens rules insert.

On this note, I was looking at the rules for Fellowship Aragorn (I am about to start the first of his quests from Treason soon) and in both the rules insert for Treason of Saruman and Flame of the West, the text seems to preclude you using any other version of Aragorn except the one "included with this expansion."
The direct quote, from Treason: " When setting up any scenario in The Treason of Saruman expansion, the first player must take control of the Fellowship sphere Aragorn included with this expansion." It is verbatim in Flame of the West.
Are we supposed to believe that we can switch Aragorn like we can Frodo, or does this wording forbid that?
I am hoping that we can switch him; I want to try using the new Aragorn in the older quests.

On this note, I was looking at the rules for Fellowship Aragorn (I am about to start the first of his quests from Treason soon) and in both the rules insert for Treason of Saruman and Flame of the West, the text seems to preclude you using any other version of Aragorn except the one "included with this expansion."

The direct quote, from Treason: " When setting up any scenario in The Treason of Saruman expansion, the first player must take control of the Fellowship sphere Aragorn included with this expansion." It is verbatim in Flame of the West.

Are we supposed to believe that we can switch Aragorn like we can Frodo, or does this wording forbid that?

I am hoping that we can switch him; I want to try using the new Aragorn in the older quests.

Ah, yes, thank you! I thought I'd read something along the line of "with this expansion," but in scanning Land of Shadow and Black Riders, I couldn't find it, so I thought I was losing it. It didn't occur to me it might be worded different for Aragorn, but that must have been what I vaguely recalled. (In ToS -- I've not tried FoW yet, but I'll believe you.) So Fellowship Aragorn is the exception from all the other heroes, or is that a misprint?

Ah, yes, thank you! I thought I'd read something along the line of "with this expansion," but in scanning Land of Shadow and Black Riders, I couldn't find it, so I thought I was losing it. It didn't occur to me it might be worded different for Aragorn, but that must have been what I vaguely recalled. (In ToS -- I've not tried FoW yet, but I'll believe you.) So Fellowship Aragorn is the exception from all the other heroes, or is that a misprint?

It's possible that particular verbiage is only in Treason of Saruman. I'll check tomorrow if it's in Flame of the West (or someone else can do it first).

I can confirm that the Flame of the West rules does use the same language, "included in this expansion." I suspect that is unintended. I would switch freely between the two. Even if it's intended, I'll probably ignore it. Better replay value.

Doesn't the same stipulation apply to Bilbo from OHUH/OtDS (though in that case, the second Bilbo is strictly better).

The Treason of Saruman rules implies that this Fellowship Aragorn could be used in other saga products:

Because this version of Aragorn belongs to the Fellowship sphere, he cannot be used as a hero when playing any scenario from a product other than The Lord of the Rings Saga Expansions

Maybe the final expansion will let us use him again....

It's a pity the rules don't allow Frodo/Aragorn to be used in their opposite number's saga, or the entire saga could be played with a Frodo/Aragorn/X/X combination. (The two Xs should be one of the heroes with two versions, for the maximum number of possible combinations with the same heroes.) My first campaign was using Beorn's Path decks (mostly separately) of LeAragorn/Theodred/LoDenethor, and SpEowyn/Thalin/Gimli. Losing the ability to play Aragorn was an unpleasant surprise. (Toughness was an unpleasant surprise for Thalin, too. I was going to toss him to the Balrog, but I managed to quest through before he showed up.)

I sent an email to Caleb to see if it's a misprint or not.

Caleb gave very quick response! He wrote this...

It is not a misprint: each of the scenarios in The Treason of Saruman and The Flame of the West is balanced against the Fellowship Aragorn included in the respective box. You cannot swap them.

That's really weird, and I'm not sure I like that.

Man, I had really been hoping for Celebrian's Stone + FotW Aragorn shenanigans in the ToS quests... Bummer, but it is what I expected.
At least I can consistently use TBR Frodo for any and all of HIS quests.

I just think it's odd to restrict the saga Aragorn based strictly on *balance*, given how much difficulty varies between quests, decks, and officially supported game modes. I don't think the power level of the two is that radically different, and even if you think the latest is better, I don't get why FFG would care if we wanted to use FoW Aragorn against ToS to make it easier, or to use ToS Aragorn against FoW to make it harder.

Weird. Oh well, doesn't mess up any of my playthroughs as I did use the new Aragon when I played the Flame of the West scenarios.

it is weird, but a 4th hero for 0 threat... I don,t mind that much! :P