Custom d20 dice to replace chaos tokens?!

By Aldus, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I'm wondering if Chaos tokens could be replaced by a couple of d20 dice...

Based on the rulebook extract; the difficulties add max 20 tokens to the pool => that can be replicated easily (?) on a 20-sided die.

It will be even closer to the RPG-genre.

Maybe, but probably not.

There's design space to be had with cards that can modify the contents of the bag, for example. I don't know if we've seen anything previewed that does it, but I would bet money we'll see cards that mess with the bag in fairly short order.

Based on the rulebook extract; the difficulties add max 20 tokens to the pool => that can be replicated easily (?) on a 20-sided die.

I think the potential difficulty in that sentence is "add max 20 tokens to the pool." That implies to me that there will be times when there are fewer than 20. So what do you do if there are only 18? Roll again on a 19 or 20? And, you know, heaven forbid that there is ever a prime number of tokens in the bag that you then have to translate to your d20.

Just use Excel and a random function and it should be ok

Just use Chaos tokens and it should be ok :P

I really like dice for randomness - but I must confess that I'm quite taken with the flexibility of tokens in a bag. That idea seems to have a lot of mileage to it.

I really like dice for randomness - but I must confess that I'm quite taken with the flexibility of tokens in a bag. That idea seems to have a lot of mileage to it.

My only change I will make is upgrading to wood (or acrylic) tokens when Team Covenant puts some out. Other than that, I love the chaos bag idea.

Yeah, 3rd party tokens are inevitable and TC tokens are pretty much universally awesome.

No, what you need to do is draw a 4x5 grid, number each square from 1-20, put each token on a separate square, then roll a d20 and use the corresponding token (rerolling blanks)!

No what we need is a programmable magic eightball with sounds effects ;)

No, what you need to do is draw a 4x5 grid, number each square from 1-20, put each token on a separate square, then roll a d20 and use the corresponding token (rerolling blanks)!

That seems like a whole lot of work to just avoid drawing tokens out of a bag. Do you really dislike tokens that much? (that's not sarcasm, that is a serious question)

That seems like a whole lot of work to just avoid drawing tokens out of a bag. Do you really dislike tokens that much? (that's not sarcasm, that is a serious question)

I suspect the post you're quoting was intended as sarcasm/satire.

Tokens will be made out of cardboard. You keep drawing them throughout the game. If you play this game a lot, tokens will be worn out pretty soonish (maybe 150-200 games, so not exactly soonish, but it will happen. And 200 games for an LCG shouldn't be too many, I played 264 games of LotR in one year or so...)

Tokens will be made out of cardboard. You keep drawing them throughout the game. If you play this game a lot, tokens will be worn out pretty soonish (maybe 150-200 games, so not exactly soonish, but it will happen. And 200 games for an LCG shouldn't be too many, I played 264 games of LotR in one year or so...)

I was thinking about this. I think I'm going to steal a page from my war gaming days. For tokens ( or as we knew 'em "chits") that get handled a lot we would use a layer or two of spray matte finish. Krylon makes the one I've used. It does make them a tad bit stickier but it prevents wear quite well.

Jesus, I'm lucky to get 1 Game per week of LotR with my play group.

You could also Varnish them, My friend has done this for his x wing dials and it seems to prevent them from being warn out.

Use discs of polished soapstone inlaid with Innsmouth gold. Resists wear and tear and the Elder Sign tokens double as actual Elder Signs.

Each core set will presumably come with a full set of tokens. Anyone who plays that much will almost certainly have two core sets, so double that.

The interesting question about replacing with wood or acrylic is that they're typically engraved, which could make it possible to feel what a token is. Any third-party tokens will have to ensure that they're smooth.