Doing things covered by action cards

By valvorik, in WFRP House Rules

If someone is trying to do something that is pretty much covered by an action card, what sort of penalty is appropriate?

This has come up so far, for me, mostly with social actions, say "Honeyed Words", trying to influence target with lies, when someone wants to "Perform a Stunt". The basic comparison of outcomes of the two is fine, it's just that it should be harder to use the 0 recharge one. Would saying there's a basic Challenge Dice added to the opposed test work?

This wouldn't be a way to do any action (e.g., get extra criticals etc.), just those where it's pretty much what the action card says.

What you seem to be asking (forgive me if I am wrong) is: how do you handle it when a PC wants to use the abilities/effects from an action card they haven't purchased? I.e. they are using the "perform a stunt" to replicate another card's effects. Yes?

The way I handle it is this: No modifier to difficulty. However, they can ONLY trigger the single success line (no multiple successes, no boons), and they will suffer from the banes.

Thanks, yup that's what I was asking, the example being trying to influence with lies without Honeyed Words. Thanks for your answer.

What I have noticed about honeyed words is that it targets Int rather than willpower which is the default resistance to guile and charm. It would be useful for perhaps targeting a vigilant guard who has a high WP but maybe a low Int.

Because of this I would only let the standard charm and guile actions (i.e. without an action card) target the enemies WP. Even with the Stunt action I would not allow it as it would be a duplication of the honeyed words action card, the Int targeting I see as the special part of that card.

This is part of how I see the stunt card, I think it should only be used if a skill is being used in a special way. Skulduggery rather than education to pass an exam, Weaponskill to analyse an opponents fighting style etc.

How about increasing the cost of failure with Perform a Stunt? I'm not talking about Banes, but simply the cost of not succeeding. Someone with the Honeyed Words action can tell outrageous lies that fail to influence but not get caught out. If you try the same thing with Perform a Stunt you have a negative impact if you fail.

Allow Perform a Stunt to do anything, but increase the risk ratio.