Are Vampires even Playable?

By Bloodway, in WFRP Rules Questions

Hello, I've been looking for alternatives to "Vampire: The Masquerade" and "Requiem" and I was pointed to Warhammer Fantasy roleplay and I remember reading "Night's Dark Masters" which the book then starts to discourage Vampire PCs like one get's the blood kiss then one would be forced to make a new character "no matter how they want to play a Vampire" as I remember reading and the book also mentions that Vampires do not make good parties due to their "inherit selfishness, megalomania, etc" which I think we encountered some big problems to how the book/game is written and especially, why make a Vampire book but turning around saying "nope they're NPCs only"?

So does this mean that Warhammer Fantasy Role play is out of the question when it comes to Vampire PCs just like Ravenloft/D&D? If that's the case then I'm running out of options here unless the rules need to be changed/altered to make Vampires playable in this game.

First, I'd like to say that Night's Dark Masters is a supplement for 2nd edition, while this forum is dedicated to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3d edition.

The forum at http://forum.strike-to-stun.net/ might have more people good at 2nd edition rules and so on.

That beeing said, Vampires could be interesting characters to play, but much like playing a chaos-worshipping character either means you have to hide the truth from the other player characters, or all the player characters could some form of "evil".

For 3d edition warhammer there are rules for playing as a PC Necromancer (and as a witch/warlock or someone with dark magic), so I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible to play as a group of necromancers, vampires and similar (like a wraith). However there are no rules for creating a vampire, so you need to adapt some rules, like character creation for a vampire.

I guess similar goes for 2nd edition. :)

Good luck!

Took a look at Nights Dark Masters yesterday to see if it was translatable to a WFRP race and honestly, it's clearly not. Under the character creation rules it specifically states that Vampires are too powerfull to be player characters.

Still though, if every character was a Vampire character I could see the internal power balance in the team working at least. It's just a question if there's anything in the game that could challange a vampire party.

Edited by Ralzar

Challenges could include vampire hunters, witch hunters, etc. Or the campaign could be set to start just after an empire army destroyed almost all the vampires and servants in the region, whith the player characters beeing the only surviving vampires/necromancers/etc. Or if the party consists of Lamia vampires they might be less martially powerful than for example Blood Dragons, but they would have powers in other areas.

It is possible to do I think, but require some work from the GM.