Returning to Arkham with questions

By Serazu, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Thanks Wolfpack. I have a different nagging question that someone might be able to shed light on.

In the FFG 1st edition of Arkham Horror, I believe the TL10 effects were simply that:

• The town monster limit is removed
  • A doom token is immediately added to the doom track

This of course results in an effect where subsequent monster surges can cause monsters to endlessly pile up in town, and yet would not drive the AO any closer to awakening. I don't even think the rule existed where the AO awakens if you're supposed to draw a monster but there are none in the cup. So after a while, although the town is a mess with monsters, with enough seals down and gates open, it would be impossible to awaken the AO. I think I had this happen once in an early game.

So clearly the FFG 2nd edition TL10 rules are much better. My questions are:

1. Does anyone else remember these FFG1st rules?
  2. To verify: no doom token is immediately added on TL10 anymore?
Edited by Tibs

I just went back and looked at both of my old rulebooks, and it looks as if adding 1 doom token is still a part of the rules (checked the online version as well). So add 1 doom on TL10 I think is still alive and well.

Actually, I just looked over my (downloaded, supposedly FFG 2nd edition) booklet and I'm not convinced:

Pages 20 and 21 are all about the terror level. They describe the effects of terror increases, but do not mention that a doom token is added when the terror level hits 10.

At the very end of the book, bottom right corner of page 24, there is a Terror Level Summary that does mention the added doom token. Note how it does not mention the Outskirts emptying.

The FAQ mentions nothing about the doom token upon reaching TL10.

My guess, given the above evidence, is that the bottom-right of page 24 is a mistake: it is a carry-over from the FFG 1st edition rules that was not properly updated. In other words, I don't think a doom token should be added at TL10.

It's on page 18, in the 3rd column, last sentence of the "Look at All the Monsters" section:

"In addition, if the terror level reaches 10, one doom token is placed on the Ancient One's doom track."

It's really sorta tucked in there, and strangely easy to miss. We haven't got to TL10 in awhile, so it actually surprised me as well! I wouldn't mind, though, if they did remove that rule -- we can use all the help we can get! :P

Edited by Wolfpack48

Oh yeah interesting! The PDF version of the rules I have is definitely 2nd edition, because that block says:

“Look at All the Monsters.”
If the terror level reaches 10, the town of Arkham is
overrun by monsters and the monster limit is completely
removed from the game. There is no longer any limit on
the number of monsters that can rampage through town.
No mention of the doom token. I'm fairly convinced that a doom token is no longer added at TL10.
Edited by Tibs

:D Hear that FFG?? We need that 3rd edition to clean all of this up!!! I think you're right Tibs - maybe the FAQ rule that allows for a rise in TL after 10 supersedes the old rule..

Yes, the "doom token instead of terror increase" was a new rule that allowed terror increases to continue to have an effect even with the TL maxed. I suspect they concluded that the immediate doom token on TL10 was too redundant alongside the new rule.

Edited by Tibs

I have the first edition and adding a doom token when the terror level reaches 10 is in the rules as was already mentioned. The terror track itself has colors and icons to remind you what happens when the terror level is reached: 3, 6, and 9 are color coded to remind you to close the shops. A doom token icon is on the 10 to remind you that a doom token is added. The terror level cannot increase above 10, so when it is supposed to rise again, it just repeats 10 every time. That is why you add another doom token the terror level "increases."

For those of you that have the second edition board, is there a doom token icon on 10 of the terror track? If so, then you should be adding a doom token every time the terror level reaches (and repeats) 10.

The mystery deepens. I have both an old board and the 2nd edition board, and they both have the doom icon on the TL10 space. So why is the rule omitted from the Terror Track section in the 2nd edition, and shown only on the rules summary on the back? Either FFG intended for that rule to be changed, and they missed 2 spots, or they forgot to keep it within the "Look at all the Monsters" section.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ar9_fJKmnT2KhJlSzrSmSwx-JA7vBg

Edit: After looking carefully at the 2nd edition Terror Track rule section, I am leaning hard toward the rule change. The language below seems very clearly intended to replace the "Add 1 doom at TL10" in the original rules and there is a clear sentence in the FAQ: "The above changes have been incorporated into the rulebook included in the revised edition of Arkham Horror."

"Once the terror level has reached 10, if it ever increases again (via a mythos card special ability, for example), instead of moving the terror track marker, add one doom token to the Ancient One’s doom track for each point the terror level should have increased."

Edited by Wolfpack48

3. You are allowed to pick which of the two you wanna return to unless it's an encounter that has the effect of you returning to Arkham. In this case, you're forced to return to the gate you entered through. This was clarified in the FAQ,

I do not see this rule in the FAQ. There is a question on page 10 of the FAQ that mentions an encounter in an Other World referring to the "gate you entered" in which case, it is the exact gate.

But if it is an encounter telling you to return to Arkham, then you return to Arkham from any gate leading to that Other World.

3. You are allowed to pick which of the two you wanna return to unless it's an encounter that has the effect of you returning to Arkham. In this case, you're forced to return to the gate you entered through. This was clarified in the FAQ,

I do not see this rule in the FAQ. There is a question on page 10 of the FAQ that mentions an encounter in an Other World referring to the "gate you entered" in which case, it is the exact gate.

But if it is an encounter telling you to return to Arkham, then you return to Arkham from any gate leading to that Other World.

Good point. Don't know why I remember a very long discussion about this, tho. Thanks for checking the correct rules reference

Page 10 of the FAQ:

Q: When an encounter in the Other World refers to “the gate you entered” does it mean the exact gate or does it mean any gate that leads to the Other World you’re in? A: The exact gate.

For those of you that have the second edition board, is there a doom token icon on 10 of the terror track? If so, then you should be adding a doom token every time the terror level reaches (and repeats) 10.

The second edition board has the doom icon on TL10, but that doesn't mean that the rule that you're supposed to add one at TL10 is intact: it just means that they didn't change the track art when renovating the board.

The terror level cannot increase above 10, so when it is supposed to rise again, it just repeats 10 every time. That is why you add another doom token the terror level "increases."

I don't think that's a valid assessment. It's not repeating, because repeating requires an increase. Repeating would mean another ally was lost to the box. The doom token is added because an increase can't be done . It's similar to the game Elder Sign , where if the clock strikes midnight you're supposed to resolve a Mythos card at the end of your turn, but if it manages to strike midnight multiple times, all extra strikes substitute a doom token instead.

I think the single doom token was supposed to be such a huge penalty originally, but this left a game stagnation loophole like I described above, so the "awaken when 2×monsters" rule was added, and "doom per increase" was added when expansions made non-outskirts-overflow terror increases far more common.

Again, I think the "doom at TL10" was removed, because otherwise it would still be in the 2nd ed rules in the Look at All the Monsters section. Since it's not there, that means it was intentionally removed.

Edited by Tibs