Star Wars: Armada - Vassal module version 4.2.0

By Green Knight, in Star Wars: Armada

Looking for "how to play armada on vassal" videos... striking out... I'm a complete vassal newb... needing newb level walkthroughs (not AARs)

BTW, thanks for all the hard work! Very generous use of your time and gifts.

Looking for "how to play armada on vassal" videos... striking out... I'm a complete vassal newb... needing newb level walkthroughs (not AARs)

BTW, thanks for all the hard work! Very generous use of your time and gifts.

On the Facebook group. Follow the link in my signature.

Did... pending... I don't mind waiting, but was just curious if they were available somewhere else

Did... pending... I don't mind waiting, but was just curious if they were available somewhere else

No longer pending.

I did consider uploading to YouTube, but never got around to it, then somehow lost one of the original files.

Maybe I'll redo the tutorials when version 4.0 hits the table.

Ok, so I tried to make an updated version of the setup/save setup tutorial. It came out OK, and I managed to get it up on YouTube. There was a horrible background hiss, however, that my freeware screen capture tool added all on its own. I tried cleaning it up and recombining image/voice, but no luck. I have near-zero experience with these things. Nor much of an interest in learning more. So basically no further tutorials from me. Take what's already available on Facebook - or not - I don't want to waste more of my time on this.

Ok, so I tried to make an updated version of the setup/save setup tutorial. It came out OK, and I managed to get it up on YouTube. There was a horrible background hiss, however, that my freeware screen capture tool added all on its own. I tried cleaning it up and recombining image/voice, but no luck. I have near-zero experience with these things. Nor much of an interest in learning more. So basically no further tutorials from me. Take what's already available on Facebook - or not - I don't want to waste more of my time on this.

Is the a link to the video despite the hiss, or did you take it down?

Is the a link to the video despite the hiss, or did you take it down?

I took it down. I can always put it up again, but it's a bit out of context, being tutorial number 2 (number 1 covers the basics).

Link to new tutorial series:

Edited by Green Knight

do you have to down load that whole list of files? if not witch files are needed? Thanks

do you have to down load that whole list of files? if not witch files are needed? Thanks

You only need the most current module version.

One file.

Version 3.5.3 at the moment.

GK, I am experimenting with running CC completely in Vassal which includes storing fleets, keeping track of resource points in the notes section, etc. A couple of features would be handy if possible.

1) Flags on ships and squads to denote that a ship has made a kill and can be a veteran if it survives the battle - right now I am using mirror match to track this.

2) Similarly a flag are marking for scarred would be helpful especially for non unique squads.

I also noticed that if you move a fleet around in the fleet tracker area, the command stack is often put on top of the card and ship. Not a big deal once you realize what is happening.

Thanks again for all the work you put into this.

GK, I am experimenting with running CC completely in Vassal which includes storing fleets, keeping track of resource points in the notes section, etc. A couple of features would be handy if possible.

1) Flags on ships and squads to denote that a ship has made a kill and can be a veteran if it survives the battle - right now I am using mirror match to track this.

2) Similarly a flag are marking for scarred would be helpful especially for non unique squads.

I also noticed that if you move a fleet around in the fleet tracker area, the command stack is often put on top of the card and ship. Not a big deal once you realize what is happening.

Thanks again for all the work you put into this.

Thanks for the feedback.

As you can see I've tried to make an all-vassal campaign an option, although most will probably just use the map to track stuff, then play battles, and nothing more.

1. No plans for this. Either use Notes or the color flags (color flags are 'free' in CC since there are no mirror matches).

2. Same here: no plans. Use another color for scarring (I suggest red).

However, the next build will have the ability to fix veteran/scarred tokens to ship/squadron bases. Maybe this will help.

The next build sounds exactly like what I am looking for. Thanks.

Updated to v3.6.0

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Armada

Key changes:

• Support for CC Scarred/Veteran tokens (they can now be tracked on the ship/squadron bases)
  • Support for command 4 ships (for use with the Nebula objective or custom content)

I'm not sure that this is working correctly. I have tried to open this module twice in Vassal and it never shows up in the list of Modules.

I'm not sure that this is working correctly. I have tried to open this module twice in Vassal and it never shows up in the list of Modules.

I'll check. I'm running this build ATM.

Kept forgetting to say. Quantum Storm isnt an exhaust. Not that many people are abusing this card in quite the same way as me at the moment anyway.

I'll check. I'm running this build ATM.

Can you be more specific?

You've added the module, then when you start it, nothing happens?

If so, are you sure the login dialog isn't just hidden behind other application windows?

Or is it something else entirely?

Note to self: consider Phoenix home functionality.

It's been a while since I published some user statistics, so here goes:

After a very quiet spell, SW: Armada has exploded in popularity on Vassal. There have never been this many players online - like ever. I blame wave 5, the World Cup and last, but not least, the Corellian Conflict.

For the first time Armada has passed Twilight Struggle, Warhammer 40k and Warmachine & Hordes. We're now in 3rd place, behind X-wing and VASL (Advanced Squad Leader).

X-wing is by far the most popular game, and will remain so without a doubt, but as I said, Armada has never been more popular (daily users, weekly users and monthly user statistics).

While Vassal can NEVER replace the true joy of a tabletop match or RL tourney, it's a great addition to the hobby.

Edited by Green Knight
24 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

It's been a while since I published some user statistics, so here goes:

After a very quiet spell, SW: Armada has exploded in popularity on Vassal. There have never been this many players online - like ever. I blame wave 5, the World Cup and last, but not least, the Corellian Conflict.

For the first time Armada has passed Twilight Struggle, Warhammer 40k and Warmachine & Hordes. We're now in 3rd place, behind X-wing and VASL (Advanced Squad Leader).

X-wing is by far the most popular game, and will remain so without a doubt, but as I said, Armada has never been more popular (daily users, weekly users and monthly user statistics).

While Vassal can NEVER replace the true joy of a tabletop match of RL tourney, it's a great addition to the hobby.

Thank you for the great work.

GK, thank you so much for the work you do on it!

One note. I'm still on 3.5.1, but the veteran tokens on the on the board flip when the refresh button is pushed.

2 hours ago, JJs Juggernaut said:

One note. I'm still on 3.5.1, but the veteran tokens on the on the board flip when the refresh button is pushed.

Not good. Not good.

I'll have a look.

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

Not good. Not good.

I'll have a look.

I found the bug: looks like I copied a defense token to make the veteran token, then forgot to clean the code, leaving the refresh function in there. Will be fixed in the next build.

Note that this only applies to the STANDALONE veteran tokens. The ones stuck to ship/squad bases in 360 are fine.