What happens when you get a duplicate skill or talent in character generation?

By TheWorldSmith, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Glanced over the book, couldn't find it. Ideas? :P

From the official Errata and FAQ:

Question: What happens when an Acolyte gains the same skill
mutiple times during character creation, such as the Penal Colony
homeworld and the Outcast background both granting the
Common Lore (Underworld) skill?

Answer: The Acolyte gains that skill, and an additional rank in it
for each additional time the same skill is gained during character
creation. In this case, the Acolyte would have Common Lore
(Underworld) at the Trained (+10) rank.

Talents have always been a "you're out of luck" sort of thing.

In older systems getting a duplicate Talent got you the Talented (Choose One) Talent for one of your class' starting skills. As of DH 2E however, its seems ThenDoctor is right, you're just out of luck there. However most of the time a second Talent is provided as an option, so this sort of event should be rare enough to not matter.

That's a sad thing about the talents. Has anybody run any houserules for alternate results?

Can you give some examples of double talents in generation? I can't think of any where it happens, unless there's an alternative.

But from what I remember there are so few options in terms of talents at creation in the first place.

From a quick glance there doesn't seem to be any point in character creation where you could get an overlap in talents. Divinations may result in a double-up but the chance of that happening seems awfully small. If that were to happen though, I'd say that a reroll would be the simplest fix.

My personal divination table has contingencies for double talents in it.

Usually if I'm no using the expanded table I just let them use the reverse of the number as a choice as well.