No Squadron Imps vs. Piles of X-wing Rebels

By Democratus, in Star Wars: Armada Battle Reports

Played my last game in the "10 games without Rhymer or Demolisher" last night.

I was trying to build a 2 ISD list that didn't suffer too much from lack of activations. Here's what I put together.

Fox Force Two
Author: Democratus
Faction: Galactic Empire
Commander: Admiral Motti
Assault Objective: Advanced Gunnery
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Minefields
Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
  • Intel Officer ( 7 points)
  • Electronic Countermeasures ( 7 points)
  • X17 Turbolasers ( 6 points)
  • Leading Shots ( 4 points)
= 144 total ship cost
[ flagship ] Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
  • Admiral Motti ( 24 points)
  • Intel Officer ( 7 points)
  • Electronic Countermeasures ( 7 points)
  • X17 Turbolasers ( 6 points)
  • Leading Shots ( 4 points)
= 168 total ship cost
Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
  • Comms Net ( 2 points)
= 25 total ship cost
  • Comms Net ( 2 points)
= 25 total ship cost
  • Comms Net ( 2 points)
= 25 total ship cost
created with Armada Warlords
My opponent was running an x-wing heavy list centered on a gun-heavy MC80 with Gozanti support.
Objectives: Precision Strike, Fleet Ambush, Superior Positions
MC80 Assault Cruiser (Dodonna, Defiance, Lando Calrissian, Fighter Coordination Team, ECM, Advanced Projectors, Enhanced Armament, Leading shots)
GR-75 (Quantum Storm, Chart Officer, Tractor Beams, Repair Crews)
GR-75 (Bright Hope, Leia Organa, Boosted Coms, Bomber Command Center)
GR-75 (Toryn Farr, Boosted Comms, Bomber Command Center)
Luke Skywalker
Wedge Antilles
Jan Ors
5x X-Wing Squadrons
----------------
I was happy to see that I had 5 ships to the enemy 4 and that I under-bid him. So I was able to take 1st player to get first/last activation. His objectives were all horrible for me, so I took the lesser of 3 evils and went with Superior Positions.
Set-up:
Obstacle set-up ended up placing nearly all of the obstacles in a tight cluster filling the right half of the play area. This suited me fine, as I wanted to come to grips with enemy ships ASAP and hopefully take out some of the carriers.
I had to set up everything first. So I set up in my back left corner. The two ISDs (Motti on the far left) at speed 2 with the Gozantis right next to them at speed 1.
My opponent set up two of his transports (bright hope and torryn farr) and all his fighters in his center, facing toward my fleet and put his MC80 off toward the right so that it would be weaving through the obstacles with a side arc toward me (sniper role). His last transport, Quantum Storm, was on the far side of the MC80 in order to provide healing support.
This was the first time I really started to see that setup is crucial in the game. Slow ships like the MC80 need to set up pointed exactly where they need to go otherwise they have a hard time reacting to changing conditions.
Turn 1:
The first turn had us closing with each other. My left ISD sped up to 3 to be even with the other one. The Gozanti's handed out tokens with their Comms Nets. His fighters clumped in a terrifying ball and advanced toward me. The MC80 plodded forward at speed 1. This created some space between the cruiser and the carriers/fighters.
Turn 2:
The MC80 moved forward again, while the fighter ball (closely supported by the transports) closed the distance to my ISDs with the fighters just outside medium range. This gave me a choice. I could race forward and try to put both my forward arcs into the MC80 - hoping to bring it down. Or I could instead try to take out the two transport flotillas, hope that the fighters don't kill an ISD, and then fly away.
I had set up my ISDs with 2 turns of Navigate commands at the top of their stack so I could react if needed. The tokens coming form my Comms Nets would help compensate. So I decided to go for the carriers, set both ISDs to speed 3, and did a hard turn into the fighters and carriers. This surprised my opponent, who had his MC80 stuck in an obstacle field and unable to turn.
Turn 3:
Piles of bombers attacked my non-flagship ISD. I managed to get shots at the Transports but they managed to escape by burning (Intel Officer) their scatter tokens. By the end of the turn my non-Motti ISD was low on shields and had 7 damage cards on it. All my Anti-Squadron dice missed. All 14 of them. Ugh. My damaged ISD and the MC80 traded long range shots to little effect.
Turn 4:
This is where being 1st player really paid off. My damaged ISD performed an Engineering command (healing 3 shields), killed the Toryn Farr transport and plowed through the cloud of fighters with a speed 3 left-hand turn to move away from the MC80. Bright Hope went next, sending even more fighters at my ISD and trying to get away from the Motti ISD. Here is where my opponent made the most critical mistake of the match. He forgot to use Leia (on the Bright Hope) to give a Squadron command dial to the MC80. The fighters did another 3 damage to my injured ship (total 10 damage) and earned a few victory points from the objective. But several fighters remained unactivated because the MC80 had no command. The Motti ISD then destroyed Bright Hope and moved away with its friend.
Turn 5:
With no squadron commands queued up and no Leia to change a dial, the MC 80 did an engineering command and took a parting shot at my ISD (brace/redirect to take only 1 damage) before moving off. He miss-judged his movement and landed on two asteroid obstacles (taking 2 face-up damage cards). Then my ISDs flew away and that was the end of the shooting portion of the game. As a final move, I managed to park one of my gozanti right in front of the MC80 which would force a bump the next turn and 2 more face-up cards on that ship.
Conclusion:
Imperial: 72 points for destroying two transports
Rebel: 45 points for scoring 3 damage to the rear hull of a ship
Some luck, a crucial mistake (Leia command dial) by my opponent, and a snap decision to ignore the enemy flagship allowed me to pull out a victory despite having no squadrons and facing a pile of enemy bombers.
Lessons Learned:
We are both still learning the game and this was a very educational match. Here's a few things I took away from the match:
  • A Motti ISD can take an incredible amount of punishment.
  • The "Contain" token is very important when facing Dodonna. It stopped no less than 5 criticals during the battle.
  • The initial setup will determine your future options. I had set up my ISDs in a corner, but at an angle so they could either race sideways or turn to face the opposite side. My opponent pointed his MC80 into a field of obstacles and was locked into this path afterward.
  • B-wings have gotten lots of hype, but X-Wings are amazing bombers, especially when backed up with Bomber Command x2. They were solely responsible for nearly destroying my ISD (and may have done it if the MC80 had gotten that Squadron command).
  • Don't forget your @#$%! upgrade cards! Looking at you, Leia.
  • When you go on the attack go "all in". My opponent tried to keep his MC80 safe by skirting the edge of the battle throwing red dice while his transports and fighters got in the mix. This allowed me to create local superiority and destroy the carriers without worrying about a huge cruiser on top of me.
Edited by Democratus

Flotillas don't cause damage from bumping unless they bump another flotilla.

It didn't do any damage. But it made the MC80 return to it's original position and therefore land back on the two asteroids.

Well, I tried to share my pics of the battle, but apparently you can't use a link to google pics? Any advice on how to get pictures into my posts?

Well, I tried to share my pics of the battle, but apparently you can't use a link to google pics? Any advice on how to get pictures into my posts?

If they have a direct filename link you should be able to.... but you'd need to find the actual web link ending in .jpg or .png or whatever...

This is my initial setup...plus my first activation with Motti trying to get him even with my other ISD.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/uCUiVphHUXcd2VAwDHBrmvwO0o0zH89OC9cbFogqIND2i4SQYIvVzG3OPA7VB-72B-i1RiLPqW2SICym8a_vKt3k-_Gnyv19xaxoTzd9B3UOlN5F0EOp8av1riGJZX8GZNcszk6v2NGgmJhOTiDjiWIYY_qZeARsJtUCGWoktoZjlqrDmAOwo8yC9KB7Uir9MizAK3d8kh_9BYY31X9Ebt58PqP0N4cOwNWXj3gykDYEVkDn_JAmNKt1cdV2_lmvhAfmodmdPVWdA_vr9DSo8NCtRkb8VsVNQrI0ke3oNWY-eeL_NnoPTXn0cF_bpUuwFvSOQOD7qqoCNscFrwnBWZPvaKLUMMFJVVcIewMPIEW7DUYJpmsHZI-Gofalqkd7737qb6gLF0ZXAUWm1Nq8Lj8B1fev77nlXGFanS-h2OMml0nPXz3L5ak3Gp-M-4nfH2XEq082RwZ7ee3Wbg6zA6Mt1UOXJ1FW_RZIRG8MqNhQVHk3hQy-81KtDkmYnEh-6fYH-5FbbzhizSZs5H2qHMnH3497jPw0o2KJIybNG92jEF1zvML09F6ULZdBjay3bUn0QH1-sSepremmY90jSCAkvzFIzPS5WNmx1jHKt6Llc6tl=w2628-h1486-no?.jpg

Opponent setup (subbing in a gozanti model for a 3rd transport):

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/SYe2_RuUT1yO4OmnF5joleEldsrEBCSRv4hLsmCZdcqt8CFfTsKrU0WlkeIrANDrsG2VcWZmulm_vD-wXnOF0pBVNbRB1tNIMHYbF8EkYGs55RdoVYPZs3g6_kYXPrWXSFkEXEQRhE-GiiTQ_GBFw0WARPNj8Ckpp4JMB4WQtk7OGymzeAqKuoI8snM4jFFu95H1r98EVaY7VKndW8C_pc_wHoNnbxp9Uy_H_7L5McAesQBxtwHpUPZsrvc8JP_UoN6VILRfxvNRCvQkmY4Grk-XRDIMEF2_HL7PkTcKi-UBtWV0GuUH0cdbVwNwsr1gnd8BbM06Lg1keTEu2FnsEuRovyu6LWAwIsbt1dbrdJFdH7EojboLZ2kmJ4sZNeZ6UgNE4o8mYNCjjCnKn3gzWr3mmX6c2mV70u4Ak_zFBN5gp__AKAgv5_939CIAuuBIaWUdaPF6WQIxW4sCljzpOY7H1fH2UjrqMfskxDzZv2oONu2tcMCT6iNBCpz08cLo3QvXRS56g-hIT2l9Hu4i3B7KKaVH_H9CWkxJmNsx5tsbWOpB_r7mM0ilzC3oBAvkHjPnqLVi0fyl7HuaT6nYqPysG_tFMjy8vD-J_S4yDfG_0omC=w2628-h1486-no?.jpg

After turn 1, the fighters are coming!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/mclDtyqjDYtU4pM-o7mkjbRs4eKyCJWysWlZsWJu0BL62V_XeIpoxtZ9sTaSeeyqzDfVuwcYb32pQTTOX1yvQm8Cbh2b6rNDbbF7BE8AqyVDT9ZXpqXayq6gZuW5ce--bSOVYt9wZ5ouurJaxRa6enyS6CbnomU7sqJ6tlvO4NcGILMVpdqc4zEHVDh7TFM2Vh0zQY1BwZy1eFZyeGvNE3b7ks9xBJ50pXmzer_Yq1H93pac-8IIqgg3zWjMZNkNx1GA1HwBH_KLcJZQShJlOkMKenfoHf_Coddrlvt3LO8S3uIV8oXUkx_pkTdJ6HXEht1JybHCfnYAnnTwmesgscBTFmmZsaT0NS86xPBLG2RbgUyQS7kGYqUVmC5fV8WqRG4jhVTDUE57jVLFk9OphvX-hko5LeEBSYYGvTjLnV4RRHjj3k3mJqWre6JQLiDpcxga7Bc3ejPW3qtqvK34wDhY7Xd3XkdfPEXRfxYkDdRzOLD3A917FV4KylWRZlfik0MeXYc2rzThiW0sahMcf56UpbcPtNKtycdrqUVFrUoJaqokxe-QcsXWKkzx4xErLSxHX_w8ZixDZnl1MF4jacMmYoMtKpsddXt5RX0tC7q61OYD=w2628-h1486-no?.jpg

After I made the hard left turn, it was time to face the fighters. The MC80 is already locked into a path through the obstacles. Thanks to my gozantis I have piles of tokens.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2g_0DVj6o2j2MBunJa5ACYItwe_bWpLBXSEE4hBdBZ6NEp6xeYr8-OXhHt3i302sKuyo2g4m6lIPbOLBRJ-W5gT-5wUdqPWV0eP_s86slFcz9zkag0Xhk3EIJknoJP4uAITOS9-sS9qoffyK6PYS46eoq92FvZtjpd1dizKg_9qSTJx0CxsfyJ3IknfeL-war8wQOYSrcjsCZK4EJZLB7EhHtH0R2J5638m4gv-j0fRb2blW3SDddHgqKEY4fZlpgmoMLHA-0ZBvhlnuf9P3NbZBejJP3yVqutEGY1ffr87MS6tbK3JlU9OUqF4298gK2bWdRKV-QbQXbGurKql39y6gw-FxU0h5DqTmPJBgoFYr0vejLNuNbbF88M44d782yA7oMR8CT5OGShpkCTje_5BNuz2IdUdXdQ6M_xKBWPN6HDfCD9R1l3c6VpvEqQrJUkK4jDQ-A-RgEibBDwhtVn0WniJEJ73mbb29iHt_6bZVvuF4oTCO_b_DQgAGcCxnsURRzGnILTGQUWHKqaaNPiMT6FYZy6s_Nogckb4rsssf7a4Y-xYEWHv8Xa8yyXR6Hpa6ozm2-zJ8mB_6rSP_P5vOzdfOXSioU_-F4hNQBBsfULiP=w2628-h1486-no?.jpg

Thanks to being 1st player, my ISD went first and raced to get out of trouble. He will still take a parting shot from the MC80. But not enough to kill him. The fighters now have nobody to command them.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/n6W8Xo_U31tzzStbo294WkPz7tTDq_CWfiQDQjH_mAvbBUojghyhWgeH5sf5-fyrw8RYfHzBIn13o9A3DNWkgY-GcqwGnfPCi4jRf0vKjtknAwI0c09mzTenbF_93VIN9YEOZWkB_ArU621KvQoU1KUV0qnbpm5dfBIwtREEjbIyOQgCki1mVzxemY0I5s717OTNJDB4CpIwvTkLmQ8NIrOQxRYTqItzNhtLa1bAeOeVXmJuEm7kMtp6kMWXmcYxSuwU9giDMxWLXiTkUJcvrkwqei8dARcT-lK3I0h1_xYtrT3uRs8XgGVYJwlFwX8SAfrN73x3z7cqyOXj68BBGXpEmEyARQjIZNBMJs5EEZg3hDW7RPDdx1KMN23wWBPIkEu3wB3yGrsnDaZafLR9COlFPwfP1z0xvnL_AbgCNTNKxEmAjEBnRCIc3oVVo0v2kVMnBlqW_75OsLQBH5DryuL77N5ug8ehpbxyOW5fu8uC3Zc22L0Cf825JlT6XkJ2C4siEneB8tbkVpDjAEUXzDzVsDNITnCClTN_LF0Rw2d7-sZwJcW7yY6hPUpZ_YPWg0su4hHeuLbRaQqBntPFW7oyllAGQqq6qntadeqIEvD3akVr=w2628-h1486-no?.jpg

Edited by Democratus

yeah, no. You're doing the right thing, but it just seems that direct links from google (as they use the encrypted line) are disallowed...

So yes, either have thelinks as you have them now...

Or upload to Photobucket / imgur, I guess...

Very surprised. It allows Facebook links with the encryption, but not Google...

• When you go on the attack go "all in". My opponent tried to keep his MC80 safe by skirting the edge of the battle throwing red dice while his transports and fighters got in the mix. This allowed me to create local superiority and destroy the carriers without worrying about a huge cruiser on top of me.

Nice write up. Force Concentration and Concentration of Fire are generally keys to success.

Mental concentration to not forget about those upgrade cards... also important.

So, as Master Yoda said: "Concentrate!!!" :lol:

yeah, no. You're doing the right thing, but it just seems that direct links from google (as they use the encrypted line) are disallowed...

So yes, either have thelinks as you have them now...

Or upload to Photobucket / imgur, I guess...

Very surprised. It allows Facebook links with the encryption, but not Google...

Have you set the sharing permission on your Google files to "public" or the equivalent?

Quoting the wrong person, but I can reply anyway :D

They are set to public, because they can be viewed with a link-click.

However, it is the forums that will not parse the link line, even when directly linked, presumably, because it involves = and ? qualifiers as part of its encryption.

Typically, when have these things, they are after that .jpg, because they attach such things as revision numbers and such - and with Wiki postings, you simply delete the effected code after the .jpg and permissions are granted.

But for some reason, they are before the image line, as part of the image link, and seems to have the Forum side of things throw a fit.

Thanks for the report. I really enjoyed reading the no-squadron point of view.

On a sided note I read this: All my Anti-Squadron dice missed. All 14 of them. Ugh.

I have to assume you do not know that Leading Shots can be used on anti-squadron fire (assume it came from one+ of your ISDs).

Thanks for the report. I really enjoyed reading the no-squadron point of view.

On a sided note I read this: All my Anti-Squadron dice missed. All 14 of them. Ugh.

I have to assume you do not know that Leading Shots can be used on anti-squadron fire (assume it came from one+ of your ISDs).

I totally missed that use of the upgrade. Thanks!

Really? Where can I find this rule? Thanks

It's in the rules supplement that came with the flotillas.

Basically, they take damage, but don't deal it (unless both are flotillas)

Ah, I think I might have chucked that insert...

Would be so much simpler if they had just said that flotillas cannot damage by ramming. After all they are meant to be a bunch of small ships that have enough space between to pass one another. But that would also make for some funny bumper car clustering when flotillas meet I guess

Edited by Muelmuel