This question again: How many core set to have the "complete" game?

By SolennelBern, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Many, if not most, player cards will be one copy of each. A second core gets you a second copy of those cards.

Also assorted additional tokens that you might run short on trying to play 4 players out of one box.

Can anybody please answer this: Why would I want second core set? Threads like this usually talk a lot about what is going to be wasted from a second purchase, while I'm more interested in what can be gained from it.

To have a playset of the player cards. You can have a max of two per deck of the standard player cards. A second core set ensures you have this option for every player card.

Well, darn, I guess, I'll be getting two of them.

I find acceptable to have limitations in the game, with one core set we can play a two player game and we have to get our act together as a team of investigators. I have no issue with all cards not being available to both player as there will not be enough of those. Wishing otherwise it's a bit like playing the Witcher and wanting to have two Geralt on the board.

I suppose part of the issue is that because it's a card game, it's rather easy to buy additional core boxes and so people do that because they can.

May be Fantasy Flight Games is counting on this to sell more core boxes but I suppose many players that we will never see in this forum will be happy with one core box for 2 players and 2 core boxes for four.

What I mean is that I have the feeling that one core box seems to provide enough fun for two players and at the same time will ensure that we will crave for the first expansion.

It's quite possible that it will be more fun for some people to have two core boxes for 2 players but I am not convinced that it's mandatory. I suppose it depends more of a completionist play style. Of course, this is without having played the game.

Yup. I think you just NAILED the entire design philosophy. But hey, if FFG just happens to make more dough off of precisely the people that deserve to be bl-er I mean "served to their expected level of taste." then go capitalism! If you've seen the design presentation it's very clear that they intended 2 people to be able to play as intended from one core. FFG isn't setting anyone up or laying a money trap, they're just benefiting from the obsessiveness of others. Seriously, it's not like there's cash tournaments at this game....

Except you probably aren't looking at $5-10 more, it's likely higher than that. Then factor in that you're likely to be a statistical outlier; the current price point is about average for a boxed game. In reading that makes it likely FFG will attract less new players.

As for completion sets, one has to assume that if they made good business sense then FFG would print them. Again, this is another argument that's been well gone over. You now have another product requiring regular print runs, than stores need to find room for, which only a relatively small percentage of the player base will actually buy (most people actually do only bit single cores from what I've picked up on other threads, but they're the silent majority who don't engage with the community).

Yup. Like ME. What happened to "I cannot be bothered....." Yet you wonder why people who only are trying to get information and make a buying decision don't want to "engage with the community?" A bit naïve, I feel.

Vocal minority wins in politics, why should this be different?

I don't even know where to start. Neither business nor politics works the way you apparently think it does.

See also: Senator Sanders entire campaign.... or most of what gets developed for "smart" phones.... or....