Keeping the Community Together

By Gregor Eisenhorn, in Deathwatch

Apologies for the cross-posting. I'm posting this message on the General Discussion page of each of the 40kRPG lines to hit as large a target audience as possible and give our games the best chance possible at survival into the future.

So we've all had some time to digest the fact that FFG and Games Workshop are parting ways which means an end to our beloved games for the foreseeable future (there's been no news yet as to whether anyone will pick up the license).

Still, all is not lost. Niche games like ours usually tend to last for a very long time after they cease to be in print and the universe is popular enough that with resources like roll20 to facilitate games, we'll be able to keep these games going and attract new members for as long as we are interested in playing. Unfortunately however, these forums themselves will eventually be archived but several of us have already begun moving ourselves and our content to two new places, to keep things going. These are:

1. The 40kRPG subreddit. This is a good place to keep discussing all things 40kRPG related as well as be our face on reddit and perhaps be a platform to help recruit new players.

2. Roll for Heresy . This website is serving as the main replacement to these forums as well as the replacement to Dark Reign. We already have a lot of homebrew, fan-made content that's worth checking out and we'd love to have more. If you haven't already, we'd love for you to sign up and start posting there so we can keep the community going after this place closes down. There's a lot of good fan made content here on the FFG forums and it would be a shame to lose it, so if you have anything that you've posted here, please feel free to port it over to Roll for Heresy before popping in and saying hi!

The future may be bleak for official content as things currently stand, but things are looking bright for fan made content as there's a good amount of us willing to keep these games alive. Come join us!

All the best,

Gregor

I might be interested in joining although Roll for Heresy seems to be mostly geared for Dark Heresy.

That's correct, it's because the players who have set it up are primarily dark heresy players. This is why we're appealing to the other boards here to get players from the other lines to join the conversation and submit their own content. I haven't introduced deathwatch games to my dark heresy group yet but it's very much something I've got planned so I'm particularly eager to see some Deathwatch content on there and read the thoughts of Deathwatch GMs and players!

it might be a good idea to suggest they put specific forums for each of the various games.

I've forwarded on these suggestions to the site owner.

it might be a good idea to suggest they put specific forums for each of the various games.

Easy enough to implement (a few minutes), but only will be taken into consideration when traffic warrants separation. Still in infancy.

I might be interested in joining although Roll for Heresy seems to be mostly geared for Dark Heresy.

Only due to lack of content at the moment. The site itself is geared towards multi-system submissions and separation, but my groups preference for Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy is what is currently dominating the initial content. My goal was to get more content creators along to start sharing lots of stuff for only war, black crusade, and Deathwatch, so I can get feedback on what works for those lines - and get a more balanced idea on how to display the content aesthetically.

By all means don't let the name fool you - Roll For Heresy was meant to be fun and ambiguous. Whether your fighting against heresy, or for it, and using it earn profit, the site is for all the lines. =D

I've now registered myself on Roll for Heresy and will have a look at it.

Great news Gurkhal! As I mentioned above, I'm very keen to GM some Deathwatch games in the future so having your expertise as someone who knows the system will be great!

Do you think the.tech priests running roll for heresy could be reprogrammed to add in forums for us regugees from the deaathwatch, rogue trader, black crusade and only war forums here?

Do you think the.tech priests running roll for heresy could be reprogrammed to add in forums for us regugees from the deaathwatch, rogue trader, black crusade and only war forums here?

Hi Tannhauser, currently the forums are for all 40kRPGs (feel free to put a [GAME NAME] tag at the start of your post if you wish). This is just to prevent the boards from looking and feeling too sparse whilst we're new. If we manage to get sufficient traffic to warrant it, then the games will be split up into their own boards. I hope that helps answer your question :)

Edited by Gregor Eisenhorn

Great news Gurkhal! As I mentioned above, I'm very keen to GM some Deathwatch games in the future so having your expertise as someone who knows the system will be great!

Truth be told I am getting a bit tired of the many spot rules and stuff to keep in mind to run Deathwatch, so I might just switch to Only War in the future. But I'll be happy to provide what assistance that I can for your game.

I would like to piggy-back on this thread, if that is OK. I plan to do so in the other 40k RPG forums as well. This concerns those dedicated Play-by-Post people out there who are going to need to get their RPG fix.

Myself and two other players moderate a PbP forum over at http://rpng.freeforums.org

It is a really tight knit community with members in active games that can see updates daily. There is a lot of communication between GMs and players and currently we have an Only War game, two Dark Heresy 2 games, a Rogue Trader game and a Deathwatch game. All are active but we also have other RPGs being ran as well. There is a forum dedicated to house rules and homebrew gear as well as a place to just shoot the sh*t and talk.

Anyone is welcome to come and check out the site as long as you are respectful to the other members there and dedicated to checking-in for updates as regularly as your GM dictates (if you are in a game). We like to shoot for daily, but that can't always happen, sadly.

Anyways, I thought I would throw that out there to help keep the 40k RPG dream alive. Take care, everyone. It's been a blast.

Server seems to be down...

And I'm kind of swamped in a Warhammer Fantasy campaign (having left Deathwatch) so that's the reason for my silence. For the sake of my comments above.

We just started a WHF playtest using a DH2 conversion and need playtesters if anyone wants to get involved. Lookin' at you, Gurk.

Did roll for heresy die? I try to get one and it's not there.

We just started a WHF playtest using a DH2 conversion and need playtesters if anyone wants to get involved. Lookin' at you, Gurk.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid my game is already underway and the characters, PC and NPC, have already been made according to our chosen houserules. Might be that I'll check in, in the future but right now I think it would be hard to introduce a new rule system.

Edited by Gurkhal

Same. I get a server timed out message every time I go.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid my game is already underway and the characters, PC and NPC, have already been made according to our chosen houserules. Might be that I'll check in, in the future but right now I think it would be hard to introduce a new rule system.

You're breaking my heart. Do you have a link for your game? I would like to check out its progression.

Same. I get a server timed out message every time I go.

You're breaking my heart. Do you have a link for your game? I would like to check out its progression.

I'm afraid there's no link as its with my core TT group doing TT RPG games.

As for progress, the band of heroes have escaped a coup in a castle and fled to a friend, and one of them go busted out of jail by a Chaos Sorcerer (for plot reasons to be revealed in the future) and are now going to take their complaints to the duke.

Still I could come over as a player and see how it works out.

Always welcome, bud.

HELLOOO-OOO! is roll for heresy still alive or not? I can't geta connection to it.

Sad to see but perhaps and maybe it will come back in the future. Or not.

Yeah, it seems Roll for Heresy is down. Shame, it seems we have to use this forum for now, and when it's gone... no idea, perhaps we'll just fade like other RPG systems, or something, and end up with one topic on some larger RPG forum. GITP forum seems to have one combined 40k RPG topic, although combining very popular DH/RT posts with nearly non existent DW posts is not a good solution.

By the way, Gurkhal, did you turn off private messages? I tried to PM you, but I can't for some reason, there is no option for sending it in your profile...