Expected purchasing requirements for a full set?

By testobviouslyfalse, in Star Wars: Destiny

As above I'm trying to figure out the amount of money i need to squirrel away prior to release to wind up having 2 of everything (that way I can play full power characters, and be able to max out other cards in my deck).

If FFG is consistent, the starter sets will be the only place to get those dice, so I'll need two Rey packs ($15) so that finn can be powered to 2 dice, have 2 of the Rey staffs, etc. Dark side seems to need 2 as well, at the very least for dual mind probe.

Onto the booster packs. There are something like 45 rares with something like 15-20 of those rares being legendaries. I dont know what the actual rarity will be and if they are even across the board, but assuming I need 2 of each, im torn as to how many need to be bought.

One box = 36 booster packs and it comes with one of those 45 rares. Do you think 4 boxes (144 packs total) will provide enough leeway that I will have at least 1 of everything and 2 of most things or will I need to buy more?

Thoughts?

Should be more than enough, if you are in favor of trading to get the eventually missing legendaries

There are 45 rares plus 17 legendaries. There are only 6 legendaries in a box which drops you down to 30 rares. So 4 boxes will get you most of the rares your need, but might not have enough legendaries to give you all you want.

Personally I've ordered each starter and 1 box. I figure I'll draft/trade/purchase from there.

There are 45 rares plus 17 legendaries. There are only 6 legendaries in a box which drops you down to 30 rares. So 4 boxes will get you most of the rares your need, but might not have enough legendaries to give you all you want.

Personally I've ordered each starter and 1 box. I figure I'll draft/trade/purchase from there.

I'll be doin 2 of each starter and 1 box of boosters, and draft/trade/purchase form there.

Reposting myself!

" FFG is not going to be able to say how much a playset costs, because they do not control the secondary market. And if they're anything like Wizards of the Coast, they will probably never comment on the secondary market.

That said, the question is interesting so I decided to fiddle with some numbers to see what I could come up with.

The cost of a playset is going to come down to the Rares and Legendaries. There are 17 Legendaries, which makes a 34 card playset. You get (approximately) 6 Legendaries per booster box. Without buying singles, you'd need to buy 6 booster boxes (or Gravity Feeds or whatever we're calling them in this game) with minimal triplication to finish a playset. So a LOT of booster boxes are going to be opened as players and vendors alike try to get those Legendaries. This makes the commons/uncommons basically worthless as there will be so much excess that people will resort to blowing them out dirt cheap on eBay. For instance, there are 114 commons in a playset (57x2) and 108 commons in ONE box. Out of 6 boxes to get a Legendary playset, there is just going to be a ton of extras floating around.

Anyway, back to Legendaries. This part is nebulous as we don't REALLY know what the secondary market is going to look like for this game. We can probably assume that there will be 2-5 "really good" Legendaries that everyone wants, and those will probably command somewhere in the 15-20 dollar range. I'm a Magic player primarily, so my CCG knowledge is mostly going to come from that game. The latest large Magic set has 18 Mythic Rare (the equivalent of Legendary) cards. Their price breakdown (as of 08/08/2016 and according to MTGGoldfish.com) is as follows:

Since both supply and demand will be lower for Destiny than for Magic, it's fairly safe to assume that prices could look like this for the Awakenings set. That puts a playset of Legendaries at 212.32 (dropping the lowest priced Magic card to bring the list to 17 cards).
There are 43 rares which makes for an 86 card playset. I'd say the estimated value for regular rares is 50 cents to 5 dollars. Maybe a little higher because of the inclusion of the dice. Let's say the rares average out to 2 dollars each. That gives us a 172 dollar playset. Combined with the Legendaries, that's an estimated 384 dollars.
There are also the Starter Decks to consider. They are preselling at 12 bucks each, and it appears you need 2 of each of them to get a playset. That adds another 48 dollars, but also removes the need to buy some of the single rares, so we'll say it adds a total cost of 45 dollars.
Now we're looking at 432 dollars for everything. That's basically the cost of 5 booster boxes. And if we have perfect luck, opening 6 booster boxes gives us a playset, so singles (as they always are) are a more cost effective route than buying sealed product. But this doesn't take into account draft/sealed play, or trading with friends/people at your LGS. It's likely you'll be able to put together a playset for less than 400 dollars. That's basically the price of 1 good Standard Magic deck, so this game seems pretty affordable to me. At least based on these 100% made-up numbers that could very well be completely wrong! I'll probably buy 2 booster boxes, and fill in the gaps in my collection from there. Because like with all CCGs, you hope you open the best cards, and buy the cheapest cards singly."

$15-20 for the high demand Legendary cards seems a bit low. I'd say more like $20-25 given the stated 6:1 ratio.

Overall buying boosters to get yourself a full play set is likely wasting some money. Even if you buy enough to give yourself a chance to hit a playset you are still reliant on not tripling or quadrupling up on some cards while not getting any others.

I think the most cost effective and efficient approach would be to buy 3-4 booster boxes and then finish out with singles.

Edited by ScottieATF

I would pay $1 for uncommon $5-$10 for a rare and $10 to $20 for legendary.

I throw in one extra wrench, there are at least 10 rares that you might conceivably want 4 copies of. While there is no known need to have a light and a dark side deck at all time (I.e. tournament situation) I can foresee most people keeping a pair around. Given the at least 10 Neutral rares, you could conceivably want 2 in each deck for some of them.

As with any TCG buying singles will be the most economical way to get a full playset. That being said opening packs is so much more fun! Some people have calculated you would need 8 to 10 boxes to "guarantee" a playset of everything but of course that is without trading off stuff you have too many off.

The price of competive cards will really depend on how well this game is supported from a competitive side of things. If the game becomes super competive with great prize support I could see good legendaries going for 30 to 50 bucks. If it's not that competitive I think 15 to 20 is reasonable.

This game is not going to have a bigger footprint than Magic. As such, I don't see singles being twice as valuable as current Magic singles. This is not a slight against Destiny. This is just good news for players. If the demand is there to drive up singles prices into the 30-50 dollar range, then FFG will print more product. That way FFG makes the money, not resellers. FFG wins, players win.

Assuming one acquires a full playset of initial release cards ($300-$500 depending on luck and ability/desire to trade or buy singles) how long will that set be complete/valid? Is there an anticipated cadence of further content? I am absolutely new to collectible card games so not sure what is 'normal' and if we expect a similar flow with this one.

I am mildly to moderately interested in the game. Trying to decide if the splurge for packs and trading is worth my investment and how long that investment would keep me current. Sorry if this belongs as another thread, but it seems to fit fairly closely to the original post topic. :)

Edited by unlimitedpower

Noone knows yet, but I wouldn't expect more than 2-3 per year. I would suspect an announcement of the next set around release/worlds. Ideally I would think they would want another set at least by SW Worlds next spring.

Most CCGs follow the Magic model. Sets are playable in the equivalent of the "Standard" format for 18-24 months. Then, if the game survives that long, they create some sort of "Eternal" format where all the cards are legal (typically with a banned list or errata, because no game is designed with a perfect power level). I'd also expect 3-4 sets a year to be released.

Awesome - thank you for the info. Just a quick follow up question, when people mention 2-4 sets per year is that another round of collecting ($300-$500) or just different bases? If the former then this might be a bit pricier than I was hoping/planning. Sorry for my CCG ignorace :)

Awesome - thank you for the info. Just a quick follow up question, when people mention 2-4 sets per year is that another round of collecting ($300-$500) or just different bases? If the former then this might be a bit pricier than I was hoping/planning. Sorry for my CCG ignorace :)

For the fun of it, let's use Magic as an example. Magic is currently doing 4 sets per year. Each set is in a block with one other set. Usually there is a big set followed by a smaller set. Then there will be another big set and its own accompanying smaller set. IF (and that's currently a big 'if') Destiny follows this, you'll be spending about that much for each set, though maybe less for the smaller sets. Yes -- getting a play set does get expensive!

With CCGs, you usually don't aim for a play set. You may try to collect one of each card as a collector, but not a full play set. As far as playing the game, you usually build a deck or two and buy the singles you need to build those decks.

However, since a play set is only 2 copies of each card, more people may attempt to collect play sets for this game than other games (i.e. Magic, Pokemon) where a play set is 4 copies.

Edited by Budgernaut

This game is not going to have a bigger footprint than Magic. As such, I don't see singles being twice as valuable as current Magic singles. This is not a slight against Destiny. This is just good news for players. If the demand is there to drive up singles prices into the 30-50 dollar range, then FFG will print more product. That way FFG makes the money, not resellers. FFG wins, players win.

Well Magic has seen its fair share of 70 - 100 dollar cards. :) Similarly Pokemon right now has Shaymin which sells for 50 to 70 bucks. However those games have very large player bases and OP with large cash prize support.

While I agree with you that FFG could just reprint sets to keep prices down that is not good for collectors. A lot of people get into CCG and see it as an "investment" (a pretty bad one but still) so if chase cards never go above 10 bucks for example collector won't be as interested. While the publisher might not see direct revenue from the secondary market they do see indirect sales in that some people will buy product in the hopes of finding that super expensive card.

Buying singles is the way to go for a cheaper option than just relying on boosters. This game doesn't seem to favor tons of extra copies of material. I would also probably recommend buying early right as the game drops, because after people start identifying the meta cards, those will shoot up in value. Better to act quickly when people go to sell these at just a base cost per rarity.

Buying singles is the way to go for a cheaper option than just relying on boosters. This game doesn't seem to favor tons of extra copies of material. I would also probably recommend buying early right as the game drops, because after people start identifying the meta cards, those will shoot up in value. Better to act quickly when people go to sell these at just a base cost per rarity.

On the flip side the release of a new set is also the time when certain singles are at their highest due to low quantities and hype. Launch prices rarely reflect how good/bad a card is.