normal vs hard

By Slanesh, in Road to Legend

Just got through kindled fire (normal). There were some close moments but generally the campaign felt easy, especially with act 2 items - when we started 1 shot killing dragons etc.

What exactly is the difference between normal and hard? More monsters or stronger monsters?

Neither. Perils are harder and as heroes, you get no starting gold. Please correct me if I am mistaken on this.

Neither. Perils are harder and as heroes, you get no starting gold. Please correct me if I am mistaken on this.

That was my experience as well. It also felt like the monster reinforcements came up more often, but I didn't have the chance to compare between two identical quests.

Yes, basically this...although perils don't get harder but the harder ones just appear sooner. I mean, there are three types of perils:
1) Minor : the ones that sometimes disease or wound a hero, but nothing to worry about.
2) Major : they are the main mechanism of challenge in the game. They go from spawning groups of monsters (Hunting Pack of Goblins) to spawning agents (the ones that come from the lieutenant’s packs expansion). In most of the cases they tend to be annoying but if you are not prepare, they can leave you really wounded or behind in the quest.
3) Deadly : their goal is to kill the party or to finish the game; there are only two at the moment, if I recall correctly: I) Last Breath (in two rounds you will lose), and II) Darkness something (inflict huge amount of damage per round that can be shared between the members of the party). You will never want to get to these.
Now, when playing in Hard Mode, the deadly perils appear sooner, as where to how soon, I still don't know.
Edited by Volkren

So it's only the perils which are affected? You don't get less gold or do for completing quests compared to normal?

So it's only the perils which are affected? You don't get less gold or do for completing quests compared to normal?

Hehehe no, sorry if I made a confusion. Yes, gold is also affected. I was just poiting out that perils don't get harder but they rather appear sooner. Perils are all the same, they (at least until now) haven't change since the release of the App. I mean, the difficulty comes from the struggle you face when you don't have time to rest or to search/explore.

I've played through easy with a 2 and a 3 hero party and aced every quest and most sides. We're now playing a 4 hero hard campaign and were 0 - 3 main and 1 - 2 sides, win - loss. Hard to say how much 4 heros and how much hard mode has effected the game individually buts lot harder it sure is!!

Yes, basically this...although perils don't get harder but the harder ones just appear sooner. I mean, there are three types of perils:
1) Minor : the ones that sometimes decease or wound a hero, but nothing to worry about.
2) Major : they are the main mechanism of challenge in the game. They go from spawning groups of monsters (Hunting Pack of Goblins) to spawning agents (the ones that come from the lieutenant’s packs expansion). In most of the cases they tend to be annoying but if you are not prepare, they can leave you really wounded or behind in the quest.
3) Deadly : their goal is to kill the party or to finish the game; there are only two at the moment, if I recall correctly: I) Last Breath (in two rounds you will lose), and II) Darkness something (inflict huge amount of damage per round that can be shared between the members of the party). You will never want to get to these.
Now, when playing in Hard Mode, the deadly perils appear sooner, as where to how soon, I still don't know.

I just feel that a peril that makes you deceased is more than minor... :lol:

diseased on the other hand...

I thought that was a hilarious typo, Volkren!

For reference on hard you seem to get one minor peril at round 7 if you do nothing, major at 10 and deadly at 12. After the there is nothing so if you get the major damage dealer and survive you can take your time.

I think that hard gives slightly different monsters. It also feels like it gives more. Quests where you'd get one group of set enemies has those set enemies and then another group on top.

Where it'd be Zombies now it's Kobolds or whatever, generally stronger things.

I do wish I could play Hard and just turn perils off though. I've got no interest in playing with them, they're arbitrary and feel really stupid. "It's taking you too long so you're all poisoned."

I do wish I could play Hard and just turn perils off though. I've got no interest in playing with them, they're arbitrary and feel really stupid. "It's taking you too long so you're all poisoned."

I had a similar discussion with a member of my playgroup. The problem is in most cases you have a healer. That hero's only real limitation on healing is the time it takes to recover fatigue since rest actions fill you up. With infinite time in RtL there would be nothing stopping you from fully healing before moving on to the next area. You could make it challenging in other ways but a race against time has always been a central mechanic in Descent even in Ver 1.

Edited by ProtoPersona

I had a similar discussion with a member of my playgroup. The problem is in most cases you have a healer. That hero's only real limitation on healing is the time it takes to recover fatigue since rest actions fill you up. With infinite time in RtL there would be nothing stopping you from fully healing before moving on to the next area. You could make it challenging in other ways but a race against time has always been a central mechanic in Descent even in Ver 1.