Acquire advanced defence cards?

By k7e9, in WFRP Rules Questions

A question regarding the advanced defences. Can you "skip" the improved defence when buying an advanced defence card?

For example a character with the parry basic action, strength 4 and weapon skill mastry. Must the character acquire improved parry first for one XP, and then the advanced parry after that? Or can you jump straight from parry to advanced parry?

In the requirements for the action card there's no mention of needing the improved version to acquire the advanced defence. But in the text the card states that it replaces the improved card. So I'm not sure how to interpret it.

The game is designed with a "minimalist" approach to expressing rules.

I would take the "replaces" language as meaning yes you need to have learned the improved before the advanced. Narratively that makes sense too - walk before run.

The game is designed with a "minimalist" approach to expressing rules.

I would take the "replaces" language as meaning yes you need to have learned the improved before the advanced. Narratively that makes sense too - walk before run.

I can agree with that, but still, for my player it means she has gotten weapon skill mastry and will then spend 2XP in a row on parry (improved then advanced). So basically she will still jump from the parry basic action to the advanced version, with only one gaming session in between. :)

K7e9. You've gone soft GM ;)

Yes, I might have. But I'll probably make her pay the 2 XP for advanced parry anyway. ;)

The 2XP approach seems reasonable.