Newb question: Do you want more advantages or more sucesses?

By JohnWrot, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Hi, all first post here, thanks for having me in the SWEetE galaxy.

I'm getting into playing this game for the first time, and a friend is GMing (so glad cause I have GM'd exclusively for the last 12 years using other systems) and I'm looking at the dice pool etc, and I can't figure out if I want a billion more successes, or a billion more advantages?

Here's what I see.

• At base, a single Advantage (assume no threats) is a good thing period. It's like being successful whether or not you were successful.
  • At base, a single Success (assume no failures) is a GREAT thing, because you succeeded.

Fine.

But what about MULTIPLE?

Once I've got 1 success and 1 Advantage (assume no bad things), do I then want....

• ...+3 successes? ... because I already succeeded, right? There's only so far I can succeed. Like... I did or I didn't, right? I mean, I can only really really really 'unlock the bay door' so much.
  • OR
  • ...+3 advantages? ... because I only needed 1 success to succeed, done and done, but now I just get a crapton of bonuses too right? Like I unlocked the bay door (no "very"s... it's simply unlocked) but I also unlocked the armory, short circuited the master control panel in the next room, and found access to the droid comlink system. ...right?

Generally,

Successes seem to only affect the stated goal.

Advantages seem to be able to affect everything else around it. (and of course also cause CRITS! *ahem ahem*)

I guess the question stems from the idea that "Success" is a far more powerful word than "Advantage", but Advantages seem to do more. (... even if you fail .)

SO... which do I want more extra of: Successes or Advantages?

John

p.s. I acknowledge the point is moot cause I can't really control it, but the answer will effect when we all cheer louder. : )