NPC Favor Tokens

By Saramund, in Android

Should I choose one type amongst all the one printed on the card or can I use multiple types togheter as long as I use them in one single action?

e.g., I go to Jinteki location and need to spend one political favor and one corp favor. If my NPC card showed both, should I just discard it or shoud I add a political/corp favor collected by other means?

Saramund said:

Should I choose one type amongst all the one printed on the card or can I use multiple types togheter as long as I use them in one single action?

e.g., I go to Jinteki location and need to spend one political favor and one corp favor. If my NPC card showed both, should I just discard it or shoud I add a political/corp favor collected by other means?

Page 36:

" NPC favors may be spent as though they were one of two or more different types of normal favors, as shown on the token. Each NPC favor spent still only counts as one favor ; it can just be one of several different types. "

Samarand,

While the NPC favors can only be used one at a time, I think that the big benefit is the possible multiple VP pay off at the end, should the conspiracy be linked just so. So, during the game they count as one (total) favor of a type indicated, but at the end you could milk them for lots of extra victory points.

Jeff...

P.S. Thanks Big Head for the reply on my other forum post!

thank you all.

I have a question about NPC Favors as well.

Is there any situation in which a normal favor MUST be used? Page 36 seems to suggest that NPC Favors (that function as the appropriate type, obviously) may be used to pay for anything a normal favor could be used for. But, in many of the descriptions of locations at the end of the book, it refers to "normal favors." Such as "Spend two time and any one normal favor to discard one point of trauma from your character." Or "Spend 2 Time, one of each type of normal favor, and discard any two twilight cards from your hand to place a hit on a suspect of your choice."

Do these REALLY need to be normal favors, or can appropriate NPC Favors be used? I notice that it only seems to use the word "normal" when it isn't refering to a specific type of favor...

fnord3125 said:

I have a question about NPC Favors as well.

Is there any situation in which a normal favor MUST be used? Page 36 seems to suggest that NPC Favors (that function as the appropriate type, obviously) may be used to pay for anything a normal favor could be used for. But, in many of the descriptions of locations at the end of the book, it refers to "normal favors." Such as "Spend two time and any one normal favor to discard one point of trauma from your character." Or "Spend 2 Time, one of each type of normal favor, and discard any two twilight cards from your hand to place a hit on a suspect of your choice."

Do these REALLY need to be normal favors, or can appropriate NPC Favors be used? I notice that it only seems to use the word "normal" when it isn't refering to a specific type of favor...

A normal favor just refers to one of the four colors. Since NPC tokens can count as one normal favor of a color shown on its face, they can be applied as well (though it's not recommended, I'd guess).

Big Head Zach said:

A normal favor just refers to one of the four colors. Since NPC tokens can count as one normal favor of a color shown on its face, they can be applied as well (though it's not recommended, I'd guess).

Seems reasonable, and it's what I thought as well. I just thought it was odd that they specified "normal" favor instead of just saying, i don't know, "any favor" or something.

Probably because if it said something like "Spend one of each favor", some people would think they needed one of each NPC favor as well as the normal favors.

LinkN said:

Probably because if it said something like "Spend one of each favor", some people would think they needed one of each NPC favor as well as the normal favors.

I think it would have been clear if it had said "Spend one favor of each type." Or, to be more clear, "Spend one favor of each of the four types." But frankly, no matter what you do in a rule book for a game like this, someone is going to end up being confused.

When a detective is somehow limited to the number of favors he can hold (i.e. one of Floyd's plots limits him to 2 favors) do the NPC favors count? We said they did and I ended up having to discard one, but I'd like a clarification if you please. Thanks!

I believe you'd have to look at the wording of the specific card. Generally, however, such a card might also limit his special favors.

The plot card just says that Floyd is limited to 2 Favors.

Then he may a combination of a total of two normal and/or special favors. For example, he can have a street favor and a Director Haas favor. He may gain no more additional favors unless he gets rid of one or both before.

Hello everybody !

(sorry for the language, i am french...)

Actually, I have a question, i just finished to read the rules and the game doesn't seem pretty hard to understand but I have a doubt about the NPC favors and the scoring.

Page 38 in the example of Rachel it says "Finally, looking at her plots, she receives 13 VP for her two happy endings, and 2 final VP for her two unspent Captain Beckmann favors" where in the rules is written that the unspent NPC favors give you 1 VP each ???

Thanks for your answers people !!!

Because her plot resolves with a happy ending. This specific plot also makes every Captain Beckmann favor worth 1 VP.

An answer to esseray.

esseray said:

Actually, I have a question, i just finished to read the rules and the game doesn't seem pretty hard to understand but I have a doubt about the NPC favors and the scoring.

Page 38 in the example of Rachel it says "Finally, looking at her plots, she receives 13 VP for her two happy endings, and 2 final VP for her two unspent Captain Beckmann favors" where in the rules is written that the unspent NPC favors give you 1 VP each ???

Thanks for your answers people !!!

In the example on page 38, Rachel scores 1 VP for each Captain Beckman favor because the conspiracy puzzle has set "street favors and Haas tokens are worth +1 VP each" and Captain Beckman favors are street(red) and political(yellow).

Mike- the conspiracy puzzle in the scoring example doesn't connect the bonus for Happy Endings, although it does connect the penalty for Sad Endings.

Ouroboros - her plot ending is a positive one, and as such, a happy ending. I should have chose other words.

To clarify (Mike is right), the extra VP for her Beckmann favors come from her plot, not from the conspiracy.

Okay thank you guys ! gui%C3%B1o.gif