FFG and Games Workshop break up

By Sencho, in News

It was a bit sad reading this yesterday. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/ I have thoroughly enjoyed the fruits of this partnership over the years. Dark Heresy became my favorite RPG a few years ago and I have spent more than I probably should have on the fantastic quality 40k products FFG has released. I wonder FFG's strong focus on Star Wars products is part of the reason for this parting of ways. I'm not complaining if so, I love Star Wars too. Anyway, I have some questions regarding this news:

Will the 40k and Warhammer fantasy RPGs still be available digitally (ex. drivethrurpg.com) once the break up becomes facebook official in February?

Are the rights to the games FFG has made for GW fully controlled by FFG or will GW be able to have another company continue development and production of those titles?

Mostly unrelated but I just remembered this. Relic made it onto an episode of NBC's Dateline that I saw a couple of months back. http://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/video/return-to-game-night-part-5-704715331900 It is being played at the end of the episode if you want to see it.

Like many gamers I was expecting this outcome (while still waiting for a "miracle" for Warhammer Quest the Adventure game) but, even so, from a buyer perspective, I am really disappointed about how this transition has been communicated. Now I would be glad to find clearer answers on what will happen to FFG and GW games in the future.

With WQACG (Warhammer Quest the Adventure Game) FFG "broke my heart" and I am wondering if it could have been avoided. The game sorted out less than one year ago (november 2015) and attracted a lot of enthusiastic players who saw in it the revival of a classical title with FFG game mechanics and support. But FFG support did not arrive, the game was sold to to other publishers to be translated while still remaining somehow incomplete with a theoretically huge potential unfulfilled. Two Print on Demand expansions (characters) didn't change the situation since they were not most of the players were asking for (adventures and monsters).

I have seen other companies acting like that before (GW) and, honestly, I wasn't expecting from FFG.

Now I am also wondering what (and if something) will happen with WQACG. Will it rethemed in another fantasy (Terrinoth) universe ?? Will FFG put an effort to make it compatible with last year edition of WQACG (e.g. maintaining the same backs for the cards and taking into account the existing mechanics and content) ??

Edited by Gendalm

As a fan of FFG and Star Wars, since you no longer need to worry about stepping on the toes of your partner (GW), whats the chances of a Star Wars Tabletop Skirmish/War game? Personally I would go nuts for it lol

As a fan of FFG and Star Wars, since you no longer need to worry about stepping on the toes of your partner (GW), whats the chances of a Star Wars Tabletop Skirmish/War game? Personally I would go nuts for it lol

I think they are looking at Imperial Assault as their answer to that. I don't see them ever going full on tabletop minis like 40k or Warmachine. Who knows though?

I would love a last print of all the warhammer stuff as a send off. Horned Rat Expansion is nowhere to be seen.

Are there any plans to reprint the Games Workshop games one last time before the license officially expires in February? I noticed that there are still a few Talisman reprints in the pipeline despite the fact that the license is ending. Can we expect any last reprints of some of the other core games and/or expansions? In particular Chaos in the Old World and/or Blood Bowl Team card game. I was able to pick up a lot of the games recently but a few of the expansions are proving really hard to come by.

Are there any plans to reprint the Games Workshop games one last time before the license officially expires in February? I noticed that there are still a few Talisman reprints in the pipeline despite the fact that the license is ending. Can we expect any last reprints of some of the other core games and/or expansions? In particular Chaos in the Old World and/or Blood Bowl Team card game. I was able to pick up a lot of the games recently but a few of the expansions are proving really hard to come by.

I highly doubt it. I just took a look at current FFG products being reprinted or on the boat and there is not a single GW licensed game listed. My guess is they have stopped all development and production at this point.

So does anybody know what this means to Conquest?

So does anybody know what this means to Conquest?

The lead dev talked a bit about that here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/30/the-traxis-sector-closes/

The Warp Unleashed pack is the last Conquest product that will be released. I believe the final tournaments will be held in December and then there will be no further support for the game.

Warhammer contracts great books, had a fun game until they dumbed it down into an dice toss instead of having a mentor syspemt or a tiered riule system... Oh and they gave away the biggest i.p. in the world not owned by Disney to blizzard. W/E!