With the news, worth getting?

By Replicant253, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

I don't know what Psykers you've had in your games and how happy they've been with their lackluster powers that may eat their soul regardless of what they do,

I can only comment on the one psyker in my game, but his player has great fun with him despite having a lower PR and only a handful of powers. And while nobody enjoys a psychic phenomenon while it's happening, everyone in my group agrees that they can make an otherwise ordinary incident very memorable.

I'm not as familiar with DH1 psykers; can you give me an example of how they were better?

I have looked into Psyker level assignment based on mechanics with psy ratings and some talents/skills/traits. I have calculated that in DH1 you can get Gamma, Gamma+ level if pre ascension. If using ascension book then one could become Beta and even Alpha level (Compared to Burning Princess). So, that "broken" thing does not seem that broken for me anymore.

While DH2 can reach only low Beta level compared to DH1 Beta.

You can see for yourself. Calculations are quite rough based on max psy rating without pushing and some talents. Also consider that DH2 does not have fettered rules. Dh1 pre ascension too.

| | Min Psy | Max Psy | Max Push/or Psy | WP Max | WP B max | Comments | Lightbringer Table | TS Luikart
DH | DH Sorcerer | 2 | 2 | - | 80 | 8 | | Zeta+ | Zeta+
DH | DH Master Sorcerer | 4 | 4 | - | 80 | 8 | | Delta | Delta+
DH | DH Psyker | 2 | 6 | - | 80 | 8 | | Gamma | Gamma+
DH | DH Psyker Sorcerer | 2 | 7 | - | 80 | 8 | | Gamma | Gamma+
DH | DH Psyker Master Sorcerer | 2 | 8 | - | 80 | 8 | | Gamma | Gamma+
DH | DH Primaris Psyker | 5 | 10 | 13 | 90 | 27 | | Beta | Beta
DH | DH Primaris Psyker Sorcerer | 5 | 11 | 14 | 90 | 27 | | Beta | Beta
DH | DH Primaris Psyker Master Sorcerer | 5 | 12 | 15 | 90 | 27 | | Beta | Beta
DH | Greater Daemon, Marabas Lord of Change | 9 | 9 | 12 | 81 | 16 | | Beta | Beta
DH | DH Burning Princess | 14 | 14 | 17 | 75 | 14 | | Alpha | Alpha
RT | Eldar Farseer | 8 | 8 | | 59 | 10 | | Gamma | Gamma+
RT | T'zar the Broker - Herald of Tzeetch | 5 | 5 | | 63 | 6 | | Delta | Gamma
RT | Farseer Caille | 6 | 6 | | 59 | 10 | | Gamma | Gamma+
RT | Warlock Bhaine Dhun | 6 | 6 | | 52 | 5 | | Gamma | Gamma+
DW | Hive Tyrant | 8 | 8 | | 70 | 14 | | Gamma | Gamma+
DW | Keeper of Secret | 8 | 8 | | 75 | 7 | | Gamma | Gamma+
DW | Zoantrope | 6 | 6 | | 60 | 6 | | Gamma | Gamma+
BC | BC TS Sorcerer | | 10 | 13 or 21 | 80 | 11 | | Beta | Beta
BC | BC Psyker | | 10 | 15 or 21 | 80 | 11 | | Beta | Beta
BC | BC Immaterial Magister | | 10 | ? | 80 | 11 | | Beta | Beta
DH2 | DH2 Sanctioned Psyker | | 10 | 15 or 17 | | | | Beta | Beta
DH2 | DH2 Unbound Wyrd | | 10 | 15 or 19 | | | | Beta | Beta
DH2 | DH2 Daemonic, Daemon Princes | | 10 | 13 | | | | Beta | Beta
Edited by Rese

I don't think I've ever played with psychic powers as RAW in 2E.

Then how can you possibly say they aren't any good.

I don't believe I said that standard 2E psychic powers were bad. They feel lacklustre in my eyes and none of the powers really jump out as being fantastic. A lot of the powers were almost completely copied over from OW and the only change that I felt really added to the system was that you could no longer fetter to completely negate any chance of phenomena and that pushing made things harder to successfully use a power. The cheese factor from earlier lines was reduced but I feel they went a little too far and neutered the feeling of power that psykers could wield compared to 1E but also compared to the lore.

A lot of the powers in RAW 2E are reflected in Cog's rules and I like the fact that there is a lot more diversity in what a psyker can do. From my reading of standard 2E psychic powers, they really would have benefitted by having a customisable set of abilities that can create different psychic powers rather than having a pseudo-spell list, particularly when that spell list is rather short. But it's a different horses for courses sort of thing.

Edited by Popdart

Then the angel is like "Nooo, think of your wallet, there are better things to spend money on than hundreds and hundreds of dollars on toys, games, fantasy books, ...".

Wait - you're saying there are better things than spending a grand on 2000 points of Sisters models? hum. Color me intrigued. :P

Not all all, I would drop that on the Squats if they made an official comeback