UFS LCG... who's in? FFG.. please look!

By GraveLord, in UFS General Discussion

This topic was inspired by the many posts of players who suggested for UFS to become an LCG and to drop the fighting game licenses.

I love this idea! I'd totally buy the products and would continue to promote this game. Just before this sad announcement this week I'd just recruited 3 new players to UFS and 8 players into Kingdom Hearts.

Imagine this..

UFS LCG main set containing:

- $39.99 each

- 72 never before seen cards (8 characters)

- 4 copies of each common

- 3 copies of each uncommon

- 2 copies of each rare

- 1 copy of each super rare

UFS LCG battlepack containing:

- $10 each

-18 never before seen cards (2 new characters)

- same deal with rarity spread

- new battlepack every month until next main set

No need for any foils and the game plays exactly the same. Players can trade what they don't need from the main set to get what they need after buying only 1 main set and players who must get 4x copies of every card can just spend $200 and get it all rather than the $200+ for singles or boosters boxes.

Cheap and effective. We need to make this happen. Let FFG see our resolution by simply posting here with your support!

I'd be in for that. But I'd want to see some tweaking on the rarity spread.

I'm open to this idea. I've never played an LCG - heck, i don't even know what that stands for (Limited Card Game??) - but i'm open to UFS surviving and thriving, and very nearly in any format.

I have to admit a real ambivilance (sp) toward online gameplay, however. Not a fan of online games.

I'd be all for anyway to keep the UFS game around in some way or another. Despite the fact that I think the licenses are an easy selling point to new comers, the system makes them stay and what ultimately makes the game fun. I loved the original battleboxes and, the Akuma v Ryu one is my all time favorite. UFS I still think has great potential to be a fantastic card game if FFG would not let it die, and in and of itself has the flexibility to survive such a change. I would still buy it and I know of many people who would pick it back up, both to play and in retail. Its a smart move for FFG, there's to rabbit a fan base, especially now, to just UFS.

James says an LCG model isn't exactly feasible due to the licensing structure of the game. If UFS continued under FFG as an LCG, it'd have to be ShadoWar only.

Yeah, still better than nothing right? But I guess at that point it would just be called ShadoWar not UFS

Here's a thought that probably won't happen, get the Guilty Gear license specifically for a LCG model.

Halbard100 said:

Yeah, still better than nothing right? But I guess at that point it would just be called ShadoWar not UFS

It could be just shadoWar, and I would play it, however if popularity increased by a decent amount it could become worthwhile to grab a license for a cycle here or there.

True, starting as just Shadowar would probably work better, and then just reobtain licenses if the game picks back up.

well i talked to steve specifically about that a few days ago and he said that they would THINK about doing a LCG version for shadowar but do not hold him to it it would still depend on if they could make enough money to support it or not, lets just wait to see if Jason can come to an agreement with FFG to buy the game before we start coming up with alternate games just yet, trust me Steve wants to see the game live on.

N.J.

We all do, we all do.

NJBrock22 said:

well i talked to steve specifically about that a few days ago and he said that they would THINK about doing a LCG version for shadowar but do not hold him to it it would still depend on if they could make enough money to support it or not, lets just wait to see if Jason can come to an agreement with FFG to buy the game before we start coming up with alternate games just yet, trust me Steve wants to see the game live on.

N.J.

Yeah i second this id much rather see jasco keep the game exactly the way it is now(well with minor changes that are needed) instead of doing something drastic until we actually need to.....

and if steve wants to see the game survive then i dont see why it would be so hard for someone else to get the license...they should be up for it 100%

Now getting SF, soul cal, and all the rest might be more difficult but only time will tell

Tagrineth said:

James says an LCG model isn't exactly feasible due to the licensing structure of the game. If UFS continued under FFG as an LCG, it'd have to be ShadoWar only.

That's what I'm pushing for! Hell, I don't care if it's just ShadoWar for the time being. The other licenses can go.. then the company that have the licenses won't make anymore $$ from UFS and will hopefully lower their fees to make it cheaper.. ideally. But this game can survive on ShadoWar alone. There are endless possibilities of characters if enough creativity is put into it.

I agree. I'm actually a fan of ShadoWar, so...if doing an LCG means ShadoWar only, i'm still in!

You have my support. The CCG part of UFS has been the biggest turn off for players, it has been such since people realised how sick M:TG got. Many players around my area are positive about the LCG system, cause they know what they get for there money.

Shadowar LCG great just awesome!!

I'll say this, after looking at some of the other LCG's tutorials, I just don't want them the change the gaming system. All the other LCGs seem to have some token resource thing, which I really don't like. As long as they don't tamper with the game structure at all, and I doubt they will or should, I'd be fine with it :)

If they were to go Shadowar only, I definitely think they should expand that universe then, and create more Shadowar characters. Like, there are still archetypes and themes not used - like, for example, a pirate, I don't think there's a samurai or a ninja, an arabian bandit, or some other things.

Here is a thought. Why not just use characters from their other games such as cthulhu, and what not.

tannerface said:

Here is a thought. Why not just use characters from their other games such as cthulhu, and what not.

Call of Cthulhu LCG - Page 15

Call of Cthulhu is a trademark of Chaosium, Inc. All rights reserved, used under license.

So... depending on what characters, from which games, and how the licences are based...

Antigoth said:

tannerface said:

Call of Cthulhu LCG - Page 15

Call of Cthulhu is a trademark of Chaosium, Inc. All rights reserved, used under license.

So... depending on what characters, from which games, and how the licences are based...

Large guess is that they can't unless they renegociate the license deal. Another guess is that they won't bother.

Also, as a non-fan of those products it is actually less attractive for them to use those characters than it is to go with Shadowar.

I think if this has any hope of happening it all its going to be an LCG rebranded Shadowar. UFS shouldn't be anywhere on the box. In the minds of 90% of the people out there UFS is a failure. The idea of UFS continuing to have rotating licenses should it transition to an LCG format is absurd. Shadowar had very little exposure in stores compared to the first few sets of the game. It still has a chance as a brand.

Unifiedshoe said:

Also, as a non-fan of those products it is actually less attractive for them to use those characters than it is to go with Shadowar.

Sad story...

One of the local "Street Fighter" fans refused to buy Shadowar for the longest time. Then complained that they couldn't build various life decks, because they didn't own cards X, Y, or Z.

Then when Tekken 6 came out. That player started throwing fits in the store about there not being street fighter expansions. Refused to buy any Tekken. He actually went so far as to show up at the Tekken 6 Pre-release, and sit and pout through it, but not play. He was "boycotting" Tekken.

Antigoth said:

Unifiedshoe said:

Sad story...

One of the local "Street Fighter" fans refused to buy Shadowar for the longest time. Then complained that they couldn't build various life decks, because they didn't own cards X, Y, or Z.

Then when Tekken 6 came out. That player started throwing fits in the store about there not being street fighter expansions. Refused to buy any Tekken. He actually went so far as to show up at the Tekken 6 Pre-release, and sit and pout through it, but not play. He was "boycotting" Tekken.

How old was this guy/girl, ten?

Seriously, there are better ways to demonstrate your distaste for something. The former Scout at my game store grew a hate-on for the game so much...he built Promo Zi Mei the way he felt the game should play (in his mind), and when he'd lose he'd ***** about how retardedly broken the game was, and that was why he lost. On the flip side, when he'd win he would also ***** about how broken the game was, and that's why his deck won.

It got to the point that when he finally quit playing all together, and after our friendship had a tremendous fall-out, one of the other local Scouts confided in me that he was, in a way, relieved that that player and i were no longer friends: Whenever i rolled up to play at this other Scout's tournaments, my former-friend would carpool with me, and he'd bust out not only his Promo Zi Mei deck, but his Pro-'Tude as well (/sarcasm). It was getting to the point where players at this particular meta were calling ahead to see if my former friend was showing up, and if he was - they were going to skip playing that week.

Yessir, an example of how, as a Scout, to NOT grow the game.

It was really really sad, because my former friend really helped me get into this game, and really taught me how to play it well.

IMO, he stayed playing the game he grew to hate about a year too long; he should've just quit.

I know plenty of older players, in age and length of time they were playing, who quit when Shadowar came out because they did not care about the setting. I also know a handful of people who wanted to play the game when the demodecks came out with the preorders for warhammer online and who would have bought other product to play with had they been able to play with the warhammer cards they had. Setting is a delicate thing.

To be fair, i was very impressed with the Warhammer Demo Decks, and would've loved to have seen that setting supported.

I was disappointed they didn't.