End of an era

By Julia, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

And now it's official, this game is dead ( link )

FFG and GW:
[image removed by forum moderator.]

Edited by FFGEvan

Don't know whose fault is, but I'll blame Asmodee, GW and FFG, in that order.

Boom... :(

I'm wondering, since GW wants all their IP stuff removed from the site, will that include forum avatars?

I'm wondering, since GW wants all their IP stuff removed from the site, will that include forum avatars?

Which is why I stuck to TI Avatars, FFG own the IP for them.

Highly likely I would say.

Im still annoyed about all the (admittedly) copyright material removed from websites that supported old editions. People who wanted old editions of GW products were unlikely to suddenly decide to buy into the new rules systems, websites (such as BGG) hosting scans of old rule systems helped keep those systems alive which in-turn meant the fans of those older systems were still buying models from GW to feed their habit . The older stuff around the internet was helping GW sales due to their main profit coming from minis, and they destroyed it all, no matter the cost to the fan/customer. Just to try and force them to buy newer rules (rules that other companies give away for free). You dont force a customer to buy a new product, you make it good enough that they want to buy it.

What was I talking about?? Oh yeah, likely we will have everything GW related gone or GW will tell their Mom on us.

Did this turn into a mini rant?? Sorry I think it did, apologies.

Im still annoyed about all the (admittedly) copyright material removed from websites that supported old editions. People who wanted old editions of GW products were unlikely to suddenly decide to buy into the new rules systems, websites (such as BGG) hosting scans of old rule systems helped keep those systems alive which in-turn meant the fans of those older systems were still buying models from GW to feed their habit . The older stuff around the internet was helping GW sales due to their main profit coming from minis, and they destroyed it all, no matter the cost to the fan/customer. Just to try and force them to buy newer rules (rules that other companies give away for free). You dont force a customer to buy a new product, you make it good enough that they want to buy it.

What was I talking about?? Oh yeah, likely we will have everything GW related gone or GW will tell their Mom on us.

It's ok to rant, buddy.

GW is being stupid, as usual. All they are doing is removing the content you can find legaly . You can still find it if you go alpha legion (I mean download pdf from torrent sites)

It's ok to rant, buddy.

GW is being stupid, as usual. All they are doing is removing the content you can find legaly . You can still find it if you go alpha legion (I mean download pdf from torrent sites)

;) yes plenty out there, though not everything sadly. Cheers ☺

Does this mean they will remove all the forums? Not move them in the legacy section, but removed? Including stuff posted on Cardgamedb and BGG?

Asking because I keep checking those forums for rules references and stuff and it would be a pity if all the knowledge was lost

Does this mean they will remove all the forums? Not move them in the legacy section, but removed? Including stuff posted on Cardgamedb and BGG?

Asking because I keep checking those forums for rules references and stuff and it would be a pity if all the knowledge was lost

I doubt they will remove the forums. We got threads about bacon and no man's sky on the x-wing off topic forum after all...

I don't think FFG is that callous and GW isn't intrested in what goes on in forums, but they might insist on taking their avatars back.

I doubt it. Peoples opinions and writings dont belong to GW (often they surprisingly belong to the website hoster eg FFG as the "publisher" though people always assume their own writings belong to them). The avatars are different as they are snippets of commissioned artwork that GW owns the rights for.

Probably just close and lock this forum. I still think FFG makes them plenty of money but I could be mistaken. However since FFG has the $TAR WAR$ license from Disney, their accountants won't even notice that GW is gone.

Edited by Marinealver

Thanks guys. Let's hope so

Don't expect the forums to stick around for long. Many other games that were non-FFG IPs have lost their forums once contracts ended.

Take the Blizzard related products. They announced the end of the contract on 2/9/11. On 2/10/11 there was a question in the legacy forum about how to access the old forum.

While it sucks, it's understandable. Why waste server space and admin resources on games you no longer support. It may also be part of the contract. GW or whoever ends up with the contract wouldn't want competitive products to appear to still exist. They probably wouldn't want competitor forums to exist where people could disparage their products or throw shade about canceling a contract.

I would personally suggest saving anything you want to keep prior to 3/1/17.