Does the co-op nature mean you can play/collect at a slower pace?

By jonboyjon1990, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Bit of context: I've got X-wing, Imperial Assault, Armada and a board game collection of 50+ titles. Most weeks I get to play 1-5 games of X,Y or Z and so often games get 'lost in the shuffle' and I don't play any specific game more frequently than once a month, if that.

In the past I used to play MtG, and so FFG's LCGs have always had me interested - the affordable nature and no collecting was awesome to me. So I've tried ANR and GOT 2.0 - and both times found the release schedule of new cards to be far too relentless, often with a new pack or two being released since I last played the game.

I've just bought Mansions of Madness 2.0 and whilst I appreciate that they are two totally different games, owning that and my experiences above ^^^ have made me have 2nd thoughts about pre-ordering AHLCG.

Essentially my question is (I suppose for those with LOTR experience...) does the co-op nature of the AHLCG mean that it can be treated more as a standalone game, with far less frequent plays still being rewarding? Is it the case that I can simply and infrequently buy a pack here or there when I want a new scenario?

As opposed to feeling the need to 'keep up' and buy packs all the time.

So who would you be keeping up with? Nobody, that's who. There is no opponent with a bigger collection than you making you feel pressured to compete. So yeah, feel free to pick up packs at your own pace.

As with LOTR it seems you'll definitely be able to set your own pace without the need to keep up with releases to be able to compete at a decent level. As your only opponent is the scenario.

Edited by TomPow

OK - thought so. Sounds good!

Yea you can go at your own pace with Arkham Horror because, just like lotr lcg, you can play it at your own pace. When ever you are finished with the core set and add an adventure pack feel free. The reason for this is because you can play solo. While you can collect at your own pace, keep in mind if you want to play multiplayer you will feel the same pressure as you did in some of the other games. Like lotr, you can certainly participate in multiplayer but your deck and investigators could be under powered depending on how far behind you are. But if you are playing solo, then non of that matters.

Although it will be the case that people with bigger collections will have more options, and will be able to build better decks for that flexibility.

I imagine if the imbalance is bad enough, you might feel a bit of a third wheel. Whether or not that bothers you in a co-op game only you can say. You're not competing, but most people probably want to contribute rather than be carried.

Scenarios will also get more difficult to accommodate larger card pools, I assume. So eventually, your core set only deck might get slaughtered by a scenario tuned to decks using a bunch of expansions. You can adjust the difficulty, of course, but that doesn't solve the problem of sitting down to play with someone who has that tuned deck and wants a challenge.

Of course, this is all moot if you're just playing with a few friends who all agree to buy and play at a slower pace.

Essentially my question is (I suppose for those with LOTR experience...) does the co-op nature of the AHLCG mean that it can be treated more as a standalone game, with far less frequent plays still being rewarding? Is it the case that I can simply and infrequently buy a pack here or there when I want a new scenario?

For LotR LCG this is definitely the case. For AH LCG you can't really say unless we know how the Adventure Packs (or whatever their name will be) will tie into th campaign and if you can play them standalone. If you can play them standalone, it will almost be exactly like the LotR LCG though.

For LotR LCG this is definitely the case. For AH LCG you can't really say unless we know how the Adventure Packs (or whatever their name will be) will tie into th campaign and if you can play them standalone. If you can play them standalone, it will almost be exactly like the LotR LCG though.

Except the most recent article specifically says you can play them individually if you wish.

Yes, it does. That's what I do with Lotr.

Also keep in mind that I'll be the only one in my group buying any products for this LCG - even more reason for me to feel fine taking it slow.

Also keep in mind that I'll be the only one in my group buying any products for this LCG - even more reason for me to feel fine taking it slow.

Actually for a co-op game, it would feel strange to me to do it any other way.