PDF.

By Sarcasmo, in 2009 WFRP The Emperor's Decree Event

I am a long time player and fan of the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay universe. Not too sure on how I feel about the new edition. I do want to buy it though. All the shiny bits! I am a sucker for shiny bits. I have a question though. I do not have $100 to spend on it at the moment. Not even $50, but I do notice you can get all the core books on PDF at RPGNOW/DrivethruRPG for $25. Now for the question.

Is it worth getting the PDF? I mean, can I play this game without all the extras that come in the box? In particular the dice. and the state track ( I think that is what it is called?)

Thanks in Advance

Sarcasmo...

buy the box. don't but the PDF. you need the cards and the dice. when you have bought the box you will realize its the best thing you have done so far in your life ;)

So there is no way to play the game without the cards or dice? I just purchased the pdf and cannot find a reference to any of the things the cards are supposed to have.

rakkii said:

So there is no way to play the game without the cards or dice? I just purchased the pdf and cannot find a reference to any of the things the cards are supposed to have.

Career and advancement; requires the career cards.

Character creation; requires talent cards, action cards and party sheet really (although that could be argued to be optional)

combat; really requires wound cards for crtiical options, and action cards.

spell casting; requires action cards (for spells) and miscast cards, for miscasts.

Insanity; requires insanity cards

the general condition cards are used through-out things such as combat and social interaction.

On top of that the whole rule set assumes the dice are available, and is impossible to play without them, without significant re-work of the rules.

shiny bits required for stance meter (although this could be written down), to keep track of stress and fatigue (although again pen and paper could be used)

You can't play the game, as written, without the full box set, which you will understand for yourself once you have read the pdfs fully.

Buying the books is good for some uses... The books are quite fragile and can't stand open. You may :

- print some important pages : intro adventure, bestiary (**** THAT was really useful),

- share it with your friend so many people can have a clue of this new way to play,

- read it anywhere,

- spend time at work. ;)

Yes, being able to print pages of the Bestiary for reference is almost worth the price alone.

Add to that the ability to search for text and I think the PDFs are very worthwhile