Which character are you going to play first?

By TomPow, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

So, which character is everyone going to play first? Roland Banks (Guardian), Wendy Adams (Survivor), Skid's O'Toole (Rogue), Agnes Baker (Seeker), I think it's baker I think I could be wrong about that, or the Mystic class character. I'm thinking I'll go with Roland Banks, I like the idea of shooting my way through the eldritch beings.

The characters known in the Core Set are:

Guardian: Roland Banks

Survivor: Wendy Adams

Mystic: Agnes Baker

Rogue: Skids O'Toole

Seeker: Daisy Walker

And, as a Final Fantasy Black Mage fan, I'll go with Agnes :)

Ah ha, I knew I'd gotten it wrong. Cheers.

Roland as he has the best solo capability I would say.

I'm going to play with two investigators, so I'd have to find two investigators that don't overlap. I'm a fan of daisy so her plus either skids or roland will be my starting team.

I'm going to play with two investigators, so I'd have to find two investigators that don't overlap. I'm a fan of daisy so her plus either skids or roland will be my starting team.

Daisy is Seeker primary and Roland is Seeker secondary.

Apologize if I'm a little behind the 8 ball here. But do we know more about the other 3 classes other then the names? Any of there cards or how they work ?

Apologize if I'm a little behind the 8 ball here. But do we know more about the other 3 classes other then the names? Any of there cards or how they work ?

Besides Roland and Wendy, only Daisy Walker was spoiled with good info. Skids and Agnes were a (good) guess based on an image from one of the FFG previews, but their cards are a bit more elusive so far.

14095879_1081170258630813_18008348615639

Edited by Arkano

Daisy or Roland - can't make up my mind.

Besides Roland and Wendy, only Daisy Walker was spoiled with good info. Skids and Agnes were a (good) guess based on an image from one of the FFG previews, but their cards are a bit more elusive so far.

unknown.png

WOW didn't saw that O'Toole spoiler :D It looks great too ^^

That is cool. Need to find a way to generate him some extra rss

Wow, I really like O'Toole. It's between him and Wendy Adams right now for me.

I typically go for a rogue if given the chance, so I'll prob give Skids a try first.

How many tomes can a character control at 1 time? I am interested in Daisy's ability but it seems rather weak compared to say Skids's. Her ability will probably only be comparable around mid game when she has at least 2 tomes while skids can use his from the beginning.

How many tomes can a character control at 1 time? I am interested in Daisy's ability but it seems rather weak compared to say Skids's. Her ability will probably only be comparable around mid game when she has at least 2 tomes while skids can use his from the beginning.

Each character is subject to the same slot requirement restrictions as the others. Still, I imagine there will be cards allowing for exceptions (like items not requiring hands, or items giving you extra slots), so, I'm confident they'll have considered the fact that Daisy is a librarian

I don't know and I have never played a game based on Lovercraft's universe. But i pre-ordered this card-game. So without any knowledge, I suppose I will base my decision on the 4 major skills of the character, may be there is one with 3/3/3/3 values.

Otherwise I will start with Wendy because survivor sounds good.

Daisy Walker to begin with for sure. Librarians' bond of loyalty. But also Dexter Drake whenever they release him.

Skids has to pay two resources for his ability. He's effectively giving up two actions to take his action. Daisy get her bonus actions for free.

I'm not saying that Daisy is strictly better, since there will be times when you'd rather use Skids' ability (such as when you're engaged with nasty monsters), I just suspect that, over the course of the game, her ability will give more actions than his.

Yes but daisy effectively has no ability until she plays a tome which she may not even draws it until midgame and she can only use the bonus action on the tome which is a situational ability.

Skid's elder sign ability gives him a bonus and 2 resources to pay for the free action whereas daisy's elder sign doesn't and depends on the number of tomes.

I really want to use daisy but tomes are limited to only 2 in play. It is not really that useful since the player would not want to put many tomes in his deck when he can only play 2 of them but if he doesn't, then the chance of drawing 1 drops. And she couldn't also equip a weapon to offset weak strength if she had her tomes out. Unless there is a talent that allows for more than 2 tomes her ability just isn't that good.

A question I have is, how many if any slots do talents take up? In the second most recent article, https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/61/3b/613b3a64-fbb5-4e8b-a9ac-4e6ec8f2f2fe/ahc01-hyperawareness.png this card is an asset so I'm wondering how that fits into the inventory of a character. Since it's a talent.

It doesn't use a slot since it doesn't have any of the icons.

ahc01_diagram_slot-types.png

Edited by Toqtamish

Yes but daisy effectively has no ability until she plays a tome which she may not even draws it until midgame and she can only use the bonus action on the tome which is a situational ability.

Skid's elder sign ability gives him a bonus and 2 resources to pay for the free action whereas daisy's elder sign doesn't and depends on the number of tomes.

I really want to use daisy but tomes are limited to only 2 in play. It is not really that useful since the player would not want to put many tomes in his deck when he can only play 2 of them but if he doesn't, then the chance of drawing 1 drops. And she couldn't also equip a weapon to offset weak strength if she had her tomes out. Unless there is a talent that allows for more than 2 tomes her ability just isn't that good.

Skids can't really use his ability on turn one either: He'll need those resources to get his various Assets into play. And I think Daisy can get going faster than you're assuming: Between two copies each of two different Tomes, an initial draw of five plus mulligan, and (if all else fails) the ability to spend actions drawing extra cards, she should almost always have at least one Tome in hand before the end of the first round. Redundant copies aren't wasted, since they can be committed to skill checks or used as backup if the Mythos destroys an existing Tome.

Yes, Skids' action is more versatile than Daisy's, but that's to be expected since it's so much more costly. I doubt, however, that Daisy's bonus action will often be wasted. Look at the spoiled Encyclopaedia card: That ability is so broadly useful that she'll always get something from it. The one exception is when she's engaged with monsters (assuming none of the Tomes have a Fight or Parley action); monsters in general seem to be her biggest weakness judging by her statline, though obviously we'll have no idea how it plays out in practice until the game comes out.

I will admit, though, that Skids' Elder Sign ability is strictly better than Daisy's. It's superior to Roland's and Wendy's, as well. That said, an Elder Sign only comes up, what, one in every sixteen Chaos draws? It's hardly reliable.

It's worth noting that we haven't seen these characters' special items which may well interact in important ways with their character abilities - as with Wendy's. To use an example from LOTR, you couldn't really draw a reliable conclusion about Spirit Glorfindel without also seeing Light of Valinor.

Roland Banks. We've had a lot of exposure to him, and his title "The Fed" is actually a profession I'd be interested in going into. His by-the-books attitude and realistic way of dealing with monsters (guns as opposed to spells) also appeal to me a lot. I'm really looking forward to playing with all of them, though.