Evolution Expansion ETA

By GShock112, in XCOM: The Board Game

I can see it's at the printers... the announcement was done exactly one month ago... so... when is Evolution going to be up for sales? I'd like to order both together so I'm waiting for that before I order XCom base game itself.

I can see it's at the printers... the announcement was done exactly one month ago... so... when is Evolution going to be up for sales? I'd like to order both together so I'm waiting for that before I order XCom base game itself.

It was updated to "At the Printer" on the 15th of August (before that, it was "In Development"). Time taken to print is listed as being "many months". Once it changes status again to "On the Boat" it'll be less than 2 months away from reaching shops (four to six weeks on the boat; 7-10 days shipping). Rough guess: don't expect it before February next year.

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of FFG, nor affiliated with any shipper or distributer of board-games, so my guess is based mostly on what's on the Upcoming page itself, which is sufficiently vague that I could easily be wrong by a couple of months - I'd still be surprised to see it in shops this year - pleasantly surprised, but still surprised.

February? That's a lot...

It's basically a few tokens and some cards, which probably come from the same factory, plus the miniatures... coming from some other factory. I'm pretty sure there should be an update to the app... which must include the new cards in the balance of things.

So you're saying they announced at the beginning of August and began production in mid August... that means everything in the mechanics is ready to be implemented.

I find it hard to believe it could go past Xmas but if I was FFG I would announce a date or... begin pre-ordering since they have their own shop page.

Is there a way to tell for sure? Somewhere the DEVs would answer the question?

February? That's a lot...

It's basically a few tokens and some cards, which probably come from the same factory, plus the miniatures... coming from some other factory. I'm pretty sure there should be an update to the app... which must include the new cards in the balance of things.

So you're saying they announced at the beginning of August and began production in mid August... that means everything in the mechanics is ready to be implemented.

I find it hard to believe it could go past Xmas but if I was FFG I would announce a date or... begin pre-ordering since they have their own shop page.

Is there a way to tell for sure? Somewhere the DEVs would answer the question?

6 months is a fairly standard turn-around for Kickstarter board-game projects where the game is fully designed and the KS is just being used to fund production.

It takes a long time to manufacture tens or hundreds of thousands of games, and it takes a long time to ship bulk freight around the planet. As I say, I'm just making an educated guess at when the game will arrive, but it is an educated one.

Oh I'm not saying your guess is wrong... I'm just hoping they did things properly which means they tested the gameplay, the missions and the new cards BEFORE announcing the release.

That would mean everything was ready to be made. Updating the code of the app shouldn't be a big deal because all the new content is in the XCom 2 game (images, music, etc.). The plastic miniatures, cards, cardboards and tokens would really take 1 month to produce and an extra month to ship. We're not talking of the immediate release of 50.000 expansions but a planned increasing number starting from small and following the sales curves.

About the total numbers... here we have a remarkable example. I am waiting for the basic game to arrive and when I downloaded the app I saw 100.000+ downloads. Guessing nobody would get this app if he didn't own the boardgame (yea, excluding those n00bs who thought they were actually downloading a stand-alone game), the sales must have gone pretty good for FFG, a thing of which we can only be pleased. :-)

The shipping is something I think we may assume will take less than we think. Since it looks like FFG has its own shop, the expansion would arrive there and be immediately available probably before the other shops all around the world could receive it and put it on the shelves.

Well... it's all guesses and speculations. I think with the coming of Xmas in 3 months, FFG should make an announcement on when the game will be available. Company-wise, they should be doing the impossible to put it on the shelves BEFORE Xmas... which is the moment they can maximize profits by adding a sale offer on both items when purchased together.

I really am too curious to wait. I'll be looking for FFG email so I can ask them directly. :-)

I would imagine that most games announced at GenCon should be available before Christmas.

I would imagine that most games announced at GenCon should be available before Christmas.

That didn't work out so well for the base game, though I imagine a lot of the kinks have been ironed out of the app development process after their experience the first time around, so they might be able to hit an earlier target.

Does anyone have any information about the production status of most GenCon announced games?

That didn't work out so well for the base game, though I imagine a lot of the kinks have been ironed out of the app development process after their experience the first time around, so they might be able to hit an earlier target.

Does anyone have any information about the production status of most GenCon announced games?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

Edited by Bleached Lizard

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

Assume for a moment that I don't know which games on that list were announced at GenCon and which weren't...

That information is not hard to find .

That information is not hard to find .

Of the 6 listed there, one is on the boat, one is in development, a couple are at the printers, and a couple have several components across various stages. Conclusions to be drawn from that are unclear.

Also, it's clear that that list is incomplete.

Edited by rmsgrey

In the Gen Con videos I saw, the game was scheduled for release in Q1 2017 but luckily the website says Q4 2016.

Considering the lower price, compared to the base game, there has to be a lot less inside the box and this both makes the printing faster AND the release closer.

I have a strong feeling we'll see the release in time for Xmas. I really hope for the beginning of December... gotta make sure to find a dealer that ships fast enough then.