Only players roll?

By Cgeist7, in WFRP House Rules

Hi all,

I have played/GM'd a few games where only the players roll dice (Hollow Earth Expedition, Whispering Vault and others). It seems to me that the new dice pool system for WFRP3 might work very well for this kind of game.

Basically, the GM would assign difficulties for all actions as normal and add these to the player's rolls. There would be no opposed rolls (except between PCs). When a monster attacks a PC, the PC would make a dodge roll (AGL + Coordination (Dodge) with challenge and misfortune dice based on the skill of the attacker. The same would be done when a PC has to resist any monster effect or spell.

This would greatly speed game play and put more emphasis on the PCs in the game. The downsides are that the current Monster actions are all based off the result of their rolls. This could be somewhat mitigated by using the number of excess challenge or bane symbols to activate their abilities.

What do other folks out there think?

Thanks!

CG7

I like the idea...

The main issue that I see is that there isn't a great 1:1 mapping for the dice. If you were doing a percentile system you could easily flip things...like well the monster has a 70% chance to hit you...so you have a 30% chance to dodge.

In this game you have two types of "fail" dice and four types of "success dice". Whites and Blacks are easy enough to swap. With some reservation you could even swap Purple with Red/Green dice. Purple challenge dice yield slightly more challenges (0.75) than stance dice yield successes (0.70). So then you are left with the blue and yellow dice, which have no corresponding "fail" dice.

Another thing to think about, is that this game does not factor in the other party's skill at all during an attack roll. During opposed rolls it does a little, but even still it seems to me that that would be difficult to try to back-map skill checks to enable a "player only" roll.

It seems to me...that if you want more player involvement, then at this point, it would be easier just to include your players in the dice pool building.