Archers and Lore/Command card effects

By hobdoglin, in BattleLore

Hello,

I just got into Battlelore 2nd ed and have had a couple of games XD and now many questions :

Can a Viper legion gain the benefit of Fury of Y'llan (lore card) when making a ranged attack against the lore card target?

= 2 dice from the viper legion +3 dice from Fury of Y'llan, with each pierce and cleave dice causing 1 damage to the target unit?

Similarly

Yeoman Archers (weak unit) ordered by Desperate Ploy (Command Card) gains the benefit from the command card while making a ranged attack?

= 2 dice from the Yeoman Archers, with each pierce and cleave dice causing 1 damage to the target unit?

If I remember correctly it's in the rules that ranged units cannot use sword symbols. So I would say if it's a 'may' or 'can' I would say that a ranged unit can't use it unless there is standing sth like 'single swords count as damage'. Take a look in the rule references which I am not able to search since I am traveling now and it's hard to work with an tablet^^

Those two cards make no reference to attack type (ranged vs. melee), so you can absolutely use those cards with ranged attacks and commit cleave results to cause damage. Those lore cards essentially add exceptions to the rules on ranged attacks.

EDIT:

Fury of Y'llan: "Add 3 dice to the combat roll. Each [cleave] result produced during this combat roll may be committed to cause 1 damage." So even an archer can commit cleave results because the lore card grants it that capability.

Desperate Ploy: "Order 2 units. Each [cleave] result produced by friendly weak units may be committed to cause 1 damage this turn." As long as the archer is weak (1 figure), it can commit cleave results for damage.

Also, Chimonas, just FYI since you weren't able to look it up, but the way the rules reference is worded, it says under ranged attacks that pierce results cause 1 damage if not committed for anything else, and under melee attacks it says that cleave and strike results cause damage if not committed for anything else.

Edited by Budgernaut

Sweet thanks for the rules clarification :)