Heavy Combi-Weapons?

By RecklessPrudence, in Deathwatch House Rules

Since the Infernus Heavy Bolter/Flamer now exists (in the new Deathwatch Codex), and is a full-fat Heavy Flamer strapped to a Heavy Bolter, do you guys think Heavy Combiweapons would be something worthy of some house rules? Like, a Heavy Combi-Melta, that's a Multi-Melta and a Heavy Bolter strapped together. Obviously only one of the two would be connected to your backpack ammo, which you would choose at loadout (unless you chose a Heavy Combi-Plas, in which case you're stuck with a Backpack Power Supply and box mags for your Heavy Bolter half, as an old ruling I found on a blog as part of a collection of rulings that were missed out of the Errata). The only challenge would be pricing them, since Heavy Weapons are already expensive and you're giving up your free Heavy Bolter to get it (presumably).

Maybe the cost of the non-Bolter half, plus the cost of the Heavy Bolter, minus half the cost of the Bolter part if you trade in your free Heavy Bolter? That would leave anything short of a Combi-Melta just squeaking in under the Signature Wargear (Master) limit for the base gun. Would that be fair?

Maybe even port that bit across to normal Combiweapons, so that their price is based on what the non-Bolter half of them are, with a modest markup for the Godwyn-pattern Bolter that is the base of them? Since I think I've seen people talking about normal Combiweapons having more ammo than the one that they currently get, and allowing a CombiPlas to actually go semi-auto, like the normal one can?

Now I just have to figure out how to get a Combi-Melta as Signature for my Salamanders Devastator so I can start Artificering it.

Edited by RecklessPrudence

I added "Auxiliary Weapons" to my Kill Team as options.

Simply pay for both basic weapons + 15 requisition and its a combi weapon that has full magazine capacity for both (made it distinguished renown).

However, I added the Infernus Heavy Bolter and Melta-Fist and Guardian Spear as "extra."

I think limiting the heavy weapon and melee aux weapons makes them special but letting two basic weapons combine gives those non-heavy variants more punch.

Edited by Soverayne

I'm sorry,but the idea of carring two heavy weapons plus ammo loadouts just stretched my credulity past the breaking point. I just can't buy it. I mean, you have to use a vortex grenade on your disbelief to play 40k, but eventually it\'s ghost arises from the dead and wails " EeeeeNOUGH !"

Having one marine carry two heavy weapons and ammo loads like a HB and HF...... I just can't. If you just have to have both, take two **** devastators,

Edited by Professor Tanhauser

I'm sorry,but the idea of carring two heavy weapons plus ammo loadouts just stretched my credulity past the breaking point. I just can't buy it. I mean, you have to use a vortex grenade on your disbelief to play 40k, but eventually it\'s ghost arises from the dead and wails " EeeeeNOUGH !"

Having one marine carry two heavy weapons and ammo loads like a HB and HF...... I just can't. If you just have to have both, take two **** devastators,

I... think you responded to another topic here. Yeah, I joked (maybe a bit serious) about dual-wielding a Multi-Melta and Heavy Flamer while in Terminator Armour in another topic, but this topic's talking about Heavy Combi-Weapons, which we have an example of in the Infernus Heavy Bolter/Flamer from the Deathwatch Codex for the wargame. No two weapons in this topic, just Combis.

Yes, I know. it's still 2 heavy weapons and two ammo loads. I just can't buy it even if GW did do it to sell a new miniature.....

If people want a new weapon, I have an idea: a combi weapon consisting of a bolter and a fully functional pistol weapon under it, be it melta, plasma or flamer. Think on that a second. You have a full bolter, deathwatch model of course, with a functional plasma pistol, hand flamer or inferno pistol mounted under the barrel. You use the bolter normally, and when you're in range or close to toughter targets you cut loose with the plasma or melta pistol, or use the hand flamer if a horde has the temerity to attack you.

Yeah, I like that.

I think in the fluff the HBHF has repulsor discs to reduce the weight.

Personally I'd rather have a combi multimelta/heavy flamer so I can kill lots of weak stuff and/or one big tough thing.

(Hell, even the orks figured this out with the burna boys! A welding torch that acted as either a flamer or a power weapon)

Edited by Robin Graves

I think in the fluff the HBHF has repulsor discs to reduce the weight.

Personally I'd rather have a combi multimelta/heavy flamer so I can kill lots of weak stuff and/or one big tough thing.

(Hell, even the orks figured this out with the burna boys! A welding torch that acted as either a flamer or a power weapon)

Yeah, it does.

As for what you want, it exists! Kinda. Something like it used to exist. The Pyroclast , a flamethrower that could narrow the stream and burn hot enough to function as a Melta - in effect, a combination Flamer/Melta, but with a hit to the Melta's strength. If a Heavy version existed, it might have been big enough for the Multi-Melta half hit at full strength.

I seem to remember that tt ( can't remember which edition) had a dreadnought variable focus multi-melta that could fire on a dispersed setting using the heavy flamer template ...

I seem to remember that tt ( can't remember which edition) had a dreadnought variable focus multi-melta that could fire on a dispersed setting using the heavy flamer template ...

Oh man, that would be awesome - a miniturised version of that is probably much more likely for the Deathwatch to be able to get their hands on, then a Heavy version of a Great Crusade weapon that, if I recall what I heard correctly, had to have Vulkan's personal touch added when building it for it to actually, y'know - work .

Oops! Forgot to say that it used heavy flamer profile when in wide beam. For Deathwatch purposes I'll suggest 45 degree, 30 metre cone using Immolation Rifle profile, keeping Melta weapon ability for hits within 30 degree/20 metre range USING PEN OF IMMOLATION RIFLE, reflecting the increased dispersion of melts particles at the outer edges of the area of effect.

Otherwise, treat it as a standard multi-melta, + 2.5kg weight, 1/2 action to switch modes ( to show the decline in tech base from DAoT).