Darkside's Painting Projects

By Darksidenet, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Which white did you use? I've never gotten on with the citadel whites, with ceramite white in particular always coming out lumpy and rough. I wasn't truly happy with any of my stormies, until I painted the Hoth Snowtroopers. For those I used Vallejo Gloss White and it was a massive improvement.

33041026905_d226a337e6.jpg

It gave a lovely smooth finish with enough natural reflection to not need a thin coat of varnish (e.g. Ardcoat) to produce a nice shine.

It was either ceramite white or White scars.

Tusken Raiders got some Sun and Sand.

5WhaJFZ.jpg 21m9jtM.jpg 5huQcpe.jpg afmPAWV.jpg LTHLQvy.jpg JE3v73A.jpg vXAazRp.jpg bR7lemV.jpg

Looking good, Sorastro recommends throwing some Agrellian Earth by Citadel on the base to get that cracked dessert look, it really pulls the figure together.

Finally got over some painter's block. Agent Blaise up first.

0Dxz4IX.jpg

Ru2rO6d.jpg

PxtrJqT.jpg

CgfIvJO.jpg

KtHAn2E.jpg

P4uunmR.jpg

Fkh4cQI.jpg SDD04it.jpg

Still dealing with a crappy camera....

k8HqIsU.jpg

boqh69i.jpg

JmUCSc7.jpg

vA7FcLp.jpg

I like them all but Vader's back is excellent. The flow of the cape looks so real thanks to the colours.

Thanks. It's subtle but there are two greys dry brushed for the cape.

D2O6jum.jpg

SA0wweM.jpg

KubZ7tW.jpg

YHTyA57.jpg

That Han Solo is amazing! Well done on all your figures.

Thanks. Now for some MHD-19 love.

FyMCqMo.jpg

6GZgdCW.jpg

HL73QMZ.jpg

1pv30lD.jpg

Brilliant work, especially the shading and highlighting on your models. Anything with cloaks and ripples looks great.

I've got Hoth Leia, Lando, Loku, Vereena, the Grand Inquisitor, and Vinto coming along shortly.

FJg0sLX.jpg

UQQS7GZ.jpg

9QXF7Xb.jpg

73fKXou.jpg

The colour-blocking is neat, and I also like the way you apply the washes to create subtle shadows in the recesses, which looks better than just slobbering them on, resulting in far too stark contrasts.

I would like to see you painting some shade like Agrax Earthshade into the eyes and between the lips of the mouth, and to apply some lighter flesh colour to the middle of the brow, the nose, the cheekbones and the chin, as well as the knuckles and the fingers. You could also apply a red glaze to the lips. Go with dilluted colours and not too much water in the brush - take the dilluted colour into the brush, then put the tip of the brush to a tissue paper which will draw a lot of liquid out of the bristles, but leave most pigments in your brush, which will give you great control over what you do. These additional steps are not too difficult - especially given your neat work so far - and would improve the figure significantly. :)

Edited by Fourtytwo