FFG and Gamesworkshop

By lovfinion, in Talisman

On the Talisman cataclysm BGG forum thread "is this the end of talisman expansion" Samuel Bailey stated he was pitching and idea called "wild realms" to FFG before he left. He then says it was doubtful the expansion would get made given the rumours about FFG and Games Workshop!!

Does anyone know what he means, is FFG about to lose it's license with Games workshop?

Seems a shame Samuel Bailey left Fantasy Flight, seem he really wanted to continue creating expansions, wondering what happened there as well..

I do hope this is not the end of FFG's involvement with Talisman, I know some folks says it's getting a bit bloated, but not me I would love more expansions :)

Here is the link to the thread in question.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23455204#23455204

Edited by lovfinion

May as well say "What up with Gamesworkshop" :) .

But that's for another discussion, Yep sounds right to me Gamesworkshop would be trying to get some more $$$ and FFG will be saying "well, we would love too... But" Without getting into other companies relationship to the big GW too much.

It's all the way the current economic climate is affecting GW without getting very boring with stats, graphs and boardroom discussions and agendas. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if The Cataclysm was the last Talisman set in 4th ed. But look at the bright side the end of 4th ed might mean 5th ed (but with another company I'm thinking).

With saying that hears hoping its just a rumor or some sort of tactic to get more money and sanity will return and FFG will go on with Talisman 4th ed.

...Seems a shame Samuel Bailey left games workshop...

He worked for FFG, not Games Workshop.

...Seems a shame Samuel Bailey left games workshop...

He worked for FFG, not Games Workshop.

:) Edited by lovfinion

I had a dream last night that today FFG announced talisman-like game set in the star wars universe. It was beautiful :wub:

I had a dream last night that today FFG announced talisman-like game set in the star wars universe. It was beautiful :wub:

I guess thats "from a certain point of view" sorry hehe.

Womp Rats instead of Toads

Dark side Fate and Light side Fate

Blood Space Station instead of Blood Moon

I think it could work.

I'm frustrated about this.

FFG (IMHO) did great work with the whole GW IP. From Talisman to Fury of Dracula to Blood Bowl Team Manager and everything in between.

While a lot of scuttle-butt seems to center on the release of the FFG Rune Wars miniature game, I'm wondering what the reverse thought was.

FFG has watched over the last year as GW released board game after board game with their miniatures attached. Space Hulk; Warhammer Quest: The Silver Tower; The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calath; Assassinorum: Execution Force; Deathwatch: Overkill; Storm Cloud Attack; Imperial Knight: Renegade; and Lost Patrol. I've often wondered what FFG thought of that. Or should I say what Asmodee thought of that...

With an 8 year relationship, FFG really was the Board Game & RPG wing for the IP. Talisman 4th Revised was (IMHO) a huge success under FFG. Sad to see it ending. Perhaps the Cataclysm release was indeed a foreshadowing for all of us Talisman Players.

Right now, I don't think I'll be interested in a 5th Edition of the game. I'm more concerned about how this effects Talisman Digital. Will the expansion now come to an end? Will we ever see the other expansion? Digital without the Forest is just not right...

Nomad Carl any words of encouragement for us?!

Perhaps the Cataclysm release was indeed a foreshadowing for all of us Talisman Players.

This was posted by Nomad Games over on the Steam forums -

To all fans of Talisman Digital Edition. The license for the physical Talisman board game has expired with Fantasy Flight Games. While we are not in a position to comment on this or the future of the physical game, Nomad Games can assure you that the license for the Digital Edition remains with Nomad Games exclusively and will continue as planned. We look forward to what the future might bring and encourage everyone to stick with the adventure that is Talisman.

Talisman Island,

As always, you are on top of it! Thank you Sir! Should of stopped over to your site first thing.

I do have one other question (wrote the same thing in the Relic Forums)...what does that mean for my 40K FFG Avatar. Does this now go away and those of us with GW images have to find a new one?

They might purge the avatar database when the time comes, but there appear to be a few older games still represented there, so maybe not.

I imagine this forum will be consigned to the Archived Forums, and the Rulebooks etc will go into the Product Document Archive.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/forum/167-forum-archive/

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/more/product-document-archive/

Unless of course there is some contractual reason that FFG can't host things after the event.

So your saying FFG will discontinue this forum?

It appears that you can still post once a forum is archived, so they might continue to work. They'll just be in the other section as the game won't be current.

I heard that one important reason for this break-up is that X-wing is, and has been for a while, the best selling miniature game.

I really hope that GW will make something good of this though as I think this break-up is their doing because, let's face it, Ffg products are way ahead of GW's these days.

So your saying FFG will discontinue this forum?

Wouldn't be the first forum that is discontinued.

That's why I mainly hang out on BGG.

I heard that one important reason for this break-up is that X-wing is, and has been for a while, the best selling miniature game.

I really hope that GW will make something good of this though as I think this break-up is their doing because, let's face it, Ffg products are way ahead of GW's these days.

This doesn't surprise me really. My gameshop at one point had a good portion of the back wall dedicated to Warhammer miniatures but it's now mostly X-Wing.

I'm frustrated about this.

FFG (IMHO) did great work with the whole GW IP. From Talisman to Fury of Dracula to Blood Bowl Team Manager and everything in between.

While a lot of scuttle-butt seems to center on the release of the FFG Rune Wars miniature game, I'm wondering what the reverse thought was.

FFG has watched over the last year as GW released board game after board game with their miniatures attached. Space Hulk; Warhammer Quest: The Silver Tower; The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calath; Assassinorum: Execution Force; Deathwatch: Overkill; Storm Cloud Attack; Imperial Knight: Renegade; and Lost Patrol. I've often wondered what FFG thought of that. Or should I say what Asmodee thought of that...

With an 8 year relationship, FFG really was the Board Game & RPG wing for the IP. Talisman 4th Revised was (IMHO) a huge success under FFG. Sad to see it ending. Perhaps the Cataclysm release was indeed a foreshadowing for all of us Talisman Players.

Right now, I don't think I'll be interested in a 5th Edition of the game. I'm more concerned about how this effects Talisman Digital. Will the expansion now come to an end? Will we ever see the other expansion? Digital without the Forest is just not right...

Nomad Carl any words of encouragement for us?!

Perhaps the Cataclysm release was indeed a foreshadowing for all of us Talisman Players.

This news doesn't affect the plans we already had in place.

Hey Nomad,

Will there be a Season 2 for DE Talisman? Obviously the sets for Harbinger and Catyclysm are not in Season 1.

What else is possible?

Hey Nomad,

Will there be a Season 2 for DE Talisman? Obviously the sets for Harbinger and Catyclysm are not in Season 1.

What else is possible?

The season pass that exists now will have those expansions added to it when they are released.

Hey Nomad,

What else is possible?

The season pass that exists now will have those expansions added to it when they are released.

So...If someone wasn't able to get a hard copy/dead tree version of Cataclysm, but did happen to have Talisman: Digital Edition and the season pass, would that said person, be seeing a Cataclysm expansion in the future for Talisman: Digital Edition by Nomad Games?

Hey Nomad,

What else is possible?

So...If someone wasn't able to get a hard copy/dead tree version of Cataclysm, but did happen to have Talisman: Digital Edition and the season pass, would that said person, be seeing a Cataclysm expansion in the future for Talisman: Digital Edition by Nomad Games?

Yes, Nomad is going to make all 4th Edition Talisman products into digital versions, all of which are covered by the existing Season Pass. Also included in said Season Pass are all Mephisto and 2nd Edition character remakes. The only thing that is not included in the Pass is the fan created charity character The Shaman.

Hey Nomad,

What else is possible?

Yes, Nomad is going to make all 4th Edition Talisman products into digital versions, all of which are covered by the existing Season Pass. Also included in said Season Pass are all Mephisto and 2nd Edition character remakes. The only thing that is not included in the Pass is the fan created charity character The Shaman.

This is correct.

I'm quite saddened by the announcement. I think FFG have done a great job with Talisman and it's shame they won't be making more expansions, but all good things must come to an end I suppose.

Would

Hey Nomad,

What else is possible?

This is correct.

I'm quite saddened by the announcement. I think FFG have done a great job with Talisman and it's shame they won't be making more expansions, but all good things must come to an end I suppose.

Carl, would you guys be interested or able to make the "fan expansion" Jon New is setting up that would connect the Highlands to the Woodland?

Hey Nomad,

What else is possible?

This is correct.

:D ....Happy Dance....

Nomad, this is great news. Despite the end of FFG's journey with Talisman 4th Edition Revised, I'm am glad to see it continue Nomad's Talisman Digital Edition. I do enjoy a face to face game, but it is wayyyyyy easier with Talisman DE (i.e. no set-up or clean up).

I'd like to second Nomad and fan collaboration expansions. The fan created charity character could serve as a template.