Temple of the Elemental Dragon (SPOILERS)

By any2cards, in Road to Legend

This just seems completely wrong ...

We played this side quest today (Temple of the Elemental Dragon). We entered with 3 heroes and a moral of 3.

We did fine all the way until the end. We were able to properly give the correct ethereal weapons to the correct ethereal warriors.

When we opened the final door, and the dragon appeared, the ethereal warriors assisted us in putting 20 damage on the dragon, and assigning it 4 conditions (stun, poison, immobilize, and ? - I forget the last one, but it doesn't matter).

Even after the 20 damage is put through, the dragon has 19 more to go to kill it, with the goal to kill it. In addition to the dragon, we faced Kyndrithul (agent), a Bone Horror, a Hell Hound group (3), and something else I don't recall.

After a few turns, we were all knocked down, with the dragon having suffered a total of 28 damage (11 to go to kill it). Our morale was at the Skull. Since the dragon had poison, and can never get rid of it, and thus takes 1 damage every turn at the start of its activation, and it activates twice per round, we simply stayed down (no one attempted to stand up).

After 5.5 more rounds, with the dragon taking essentially 2 damage per round, the dragon died. None of the minor, nor major perils could affect us as we weren't on the board, and none of the monsters could attack us either.

We won, but this seems like a very hollow victory, and I am surprised that after enough time went by, the app wouldn't just declare a TPK (a total party kill) or in some way cause us to lose.

Now, granted, this only works if you have full moral going into the final room, but still, this is a rather stupid way to win (but for us the only strategy we could employ to win).

Has anyone else seen this? Is there any reason that the app would permit this?

Edited by any2cards

I've seen it. I think the morale system technically allows it. Might be worth a rules question, or potentially a bug report- I don't think it is a bug, really, just a loophole.

There is a peril that leads to losing the quest after a certain number of rounds, but it's only one of a few different perils that can happen at the end of a quest.

Even if the app doesn't track it, being all knocked down at the same time means you have lost the quest. It is from the standard rules, which are not being changed in RTL.

You should not let everyone get knocked out, and also before going for the boss clear all other monsters if possible :)

-zxql

being all knocked down at the same time means you have lost the quest. It is from the standard rules

What?

Edit: To be clear, to my knowledge (and after a doublecheck of the rules book just now) no such rule exists. It's most definitely not correct, but I guess you know that any2cards :)

Edited by Atom4geVampire

being all knocked down at the same time means you have lost the quest. It is from the standard rules

What?

Edit: To be clear, to my knowledge (and after a doublecheck of the rules book just now) no such rule exists. It's most definitely not correct, but I guess you know that any2cards :)

Blergh. I must have read it in some specific encounter rules then :wacko: sorry. In that case the app should implement it.. rushing through to poison the boss and then lie around for a few turns is silly. And most quests in RTL are based on killing a boss :D

-zxql

Yes, I agree it does seem a might silly to all be lying doggo, pretending to be dead, while a mighty Dragon slowly bleeds out from his poison. And yet, we did play this by RAW. There is nothing else we could have done to win, as standing up, getting anywhere from 2 - 6 hearts back would have been a VERY bad idea, and a guaranteed loss.

I have submitted this issue to FFG (along with a link to this very thread), and suggested that some form of TPK (total party kill) and or TPKO (total party knock out) rule be implemented, so that if the entire party refuses to get up for a certain number of turns, then they lose. Alternatively, provide a mechanic that if we all stay down for a set number of turns, a major peril comes into play that allows all monsters to remove all conditions. That also would resolve the issue and force our hands. Or force us to surrender, or whatever ...

And just to be clear, I ran a test on this after the fact, and I was allowed to continue this process for more than 30 turns. So there is nothing implemented at this point (as suggested by some others) to prevent this action. Yes, I did get plenty of major peril warnings, but all of those just said to apply X amount of damage across all heroes. In our situation, there aren't any heroes to apply it to on the map, so those have zero impact to the game.

Edited by any2cards

And yet, we did play this by RAW.

And this is only something that could come up in the App - in standard Descent, if the party did this the Overlord would be free to complete whatever objective the scenario had assigned them... game over.

Edited by maxam

I would call it: brilliant strategy :-)

Wait now - I thought that when it came around to your turn if you were knocked out the only action you could take was a "get up action". Which I took to mean you HAVE to take that action since there's no mechanism to skip your turn.

Wait now - I thought that when it came around to your turn if you were knocked out the only action you could take was a "get up action". Which I took to mean you HAVE to take that action since there's no mechanism to skip your turn.

Not true. Nothing in the rules state that you ever have to stand up (your own action), or be revived (another hero's action on you) during your turn. The rules do say that if you choose to do something on your turn, the only action available to YOU is to stand up. You don't have to do it.

In fact, it is often very good strategy to never stand up, until things have quieted down in your immediate area (i.e. all monsters are dead, etc.).

The reason for this is simply. If you perform a stand up (or are revived), it is possible to roll as few as 2 Hearts total on the 2 red dice you roll. This makes you very squishy, and can result in you just continually being knocked down.

Edited by any2cards

Not true. Nothing in the rules state that you ever have to stand up (your own action), or be revived (another hero's action on you) during your turn. The rules do say that if you choose to do something on your turn, the only action available to YOU is to stand up. You don't have to do it.

In fact, it is often very good strategy to never stand up, until things have quieted down in your immediate area (i.e. all monsters are dead, etc.).

The reason for this is simply. If you perform a stand up (or are revived), it is possible to roll as few as 2 Hearts total on the 2 red dice you roll. This makes you very squishy, and can result in you just continually being knocked down.

I assumed that was intended. Since in other FFG games actually skipping a turn is a power and there's nothing here that says I can skip I didn't think it was possible. FFG usually makes that stuff explicit and the rules don't say otherwise.

If you get up and die over and over and over then tough, that's what is supposed to happen!

I assumed that was intended. Since in other FFG games actually skipping a turn is a power and there's nothing here that says I can skip I didn't think it was possible. FFG usually makes that stuff explicit and the rules don't say otherwise.

If you get up and die over and over and over then tough, that's what is supposed to happen!

The FAQ addresses this issue. On page 3 of the FAQ it states as follows: Q: If a hero is knocked out, does he have to stand up during his turn?

A: No. A hero is not required to perform any actions on his turn.

I realize some rules may fly in the face of what you feel is correct; thus, you are certainly free to house rule this so that heroes have to stand up.

But that is most definitely NOT the rules of the game.

I'm not saying I wanted to house rule it, all I'm saying is that it didn't make it clear. I guess the FAQ does though.

That's really surprising to me.

I'm not saying I wanted to house rule it, all I'm saying is that it didn't make it clear. I guess the FAQ does though.

That's really surprising to me.

It might help if you consider that not performing a standup action is not skipping your turn. The hero still has a start of turn and end of turn (and can even activate a familiar before his perform actions step if he chooses). However, during the "perform actions" step of the turn, he just doesn't take any actions and proceeds directly to end of turn. It's not a skip- it's just a really boring turn :) .

Edited by Zaltyre