Atom4geVampire's Custom Descent Storage Box (wip)

By Atom4geVampire, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Just recounted the cards. 67 as well.
The image of the act 1 stack shows a height of 36mm. Not sure where you got the 33 mm from :)
As mentioned before, IMO the time how long the cards have been sleeved makes a huge difference how think a stack becomes.

Edited by Psymia
19 minutes ago, Atom4geVampire said:

Maybe I should start a Kickstarter or something

A kickstarter may not be a bad idea.
However what i've heard from other people starting one, you want to be pretty far with what you want to do before you make it public.
And be very sure how much you're going to spend on actually producing the product, otherwise you might end up paying more then what you get.

(That' being said, i certainly would back such a kickstarter :D)

I added a photo of my act 2 monster stack (filename act2_monsters_height.jpg).
Again, slightly squeezed and used to be a lot higher when the sleeves were new.

Edited by Psymia

Yeah, that's the main issue I'm having at the moment. (And why I'm not starting one yet)

I don't really have an idea how much the final product would cost, so I can't really ask for funds then :P
(I have a very rough estimate of the company I was planning to work with, but don't know in how far that's reliable)

19 minutes ago, Atom4geVampire said:

Here is a random wip shot from 3ds max :P

I'm adding some improvements to the box as well, based on some grievances I had with my original design.

Maybe I should start a Kickstarter or something

box wip.jpg

Link to make my pledge?

@Psymia What does your caliper say about the width of the dice? (I don't have one nearby at the moment)

16mm? Is that accurate? (Would really screw me a bit, because 15mm would have been ideal :P )

Yeah seems to be 16mm
link
Some I've measured are down to 15.6 (greeen), but the 6 black ones i have all seems to be consistently 16mm.

Perhaps you could sell the design to these guys. Formcore Insert Maker

They have a the know how to run a KS. They have affordable manufacturing. You can give them a ready to go design for a price/licensing deal

While all of these ideas about a Kickstarter are interesting, I should point out, at least from MY point of view, is that what I am interested in is the solution that Atom created. (See pictures: Atom's Storage Solution ).

That is to say, something that is exactly like what his pictures show, which include a high level of quality, a hand made look to them, etc.

If this is what a Kickstarter or farming out would provide, great. If instead, it would simply be a cheap knockoff, with poor attention to details, etc., I would have no interest.

Atom: Please confirm - if I remember correctly from some post buried in this thread, the one thing that your D2e Box does not store are all of the monster figures ... correct?

Edited by any2cards

Well, @any2cards , I'm sorry if this bursts you bubble, but

23hy79.jpg

But that doesn't stop it from looking good ;) However, it does come with some downsides, one of them that its a bit damage prone.
That was one of the reasons I was looking to have it lasercut out of wood. Also, to get rid of the "hand made look" because I for one am annoyed by imperfections quite easily, and that would hopefully remove most of that :)

So really, if it eases your concerns in any way: What I currently have planned would only lose some of its "hand made look". In all other aspects, it should hopefully improve upon the original product.

• It'll be made out of wood
  • I'm improving the layout or design some of the compartments, based on my own experiences with the box now (I might even ask for feedback on the board during my design process)
  • The new version will now also fit sleeved cards
  • I have a really cool idea for the outside of the box, which I hope I can realize and which I hope you guys will like

The only reason I'd do a kickstarter (or something similar) is because there is a bit of an initial investment to this.

And yes, it's true, the box does not currently store the monster figures, there are just too many of them! (And the different sizes are an issue as well)
However, who knows what the future will bring :) Maybe a separate box? (I still store them in an Citadel Crusade case at the moment)

I must admit that having it made out of wood would be preferable ... I think it would look really sharp, and as you stated, it would be far more likely to be durable (versus foamcore).

I would guess, however, that the all wood solution will be heavier (which is fine by me), but I hope the ultimate solution will be reasonably transferable (i.e. easy to carry it).

I really hope you are serious about pursuing this, as I am very interested in the storage solution. So much so, that if it is necessary, I am willing to help financially if it gets this off of the ground.

Are there sleeves for the hero sheets?

On 25/01/2018 at 7:00 PM, Felin said:

Yes Hero cards = Hero sheets

Whoops! Must have missed that, sorry! And thanks!

Yoo!

I'm joining in on that Topic!

I'd like to ask how far your progress is by now and if u are still working on it? I'd also like to take one of this juicy storages!

But another question would be about shipping right? But at least Belgium isn't so far from Germany :b

Hi everyone, I am just curious about if this project Atom4geVampire, has any update, or something.
I have got all the stuff of this Game and I^m trying to keep all together.

Thank you in advance guys !!

Hi! Unfortunately, real life stuff got in the way again, as it often does. So, not much progress to report at this point, but I hope I can pick up this project again soon!

Edited by Atom4geVampire
45 minutes ago, Atom4geVampire said:

Hi! Unfortunately, real life stuff got in the way again, as it often does. So, not much progress to report at this point, but I hope I can pick up this project again soon!

I would just like to say that I turn 77 on July 6th. Much progress is needed ! ?

Edited by DulaSmells

Sorry about necroing this.
@Atom4geVampire
I have remade your whole box as vector files for in Illustrator, aswell as made a 3D model in Fusion 360.
Have made some changes though, I didn't know the height of your boxes, I could however calculate the wide and depth. So I made the first layer 30 MM high.
I also made everything into compartments instead of connecting stuff to the walls, this way you can take each part out and place it on a table etc.
That means that like the stand cards that are in 4 compartments on the first layer is still has all 4 compartments in 1 box etc.
Everything here is made for lasercut. (I just finished the first layer, will work on rest afterwards). :)

1650762859_1.Layer.thumb.jpg.b9a5315d982896fd1cf425b7e67ccb64.jpg

Now my question: I am allowed to share all of this with people? (I will add the files to this post). I am asking because my design took root in your design.

- Kasper

Edited by Kasper Friderichsen

Hi Kasper,

I am so happy for reading your post. I think that it's fine to share it here if you base in his job, or in another way you could create a post share your project and leaving any comment that it's based in Atom4geVampire model.

I don't know exactly if its a very accurate version of him or not, without seeing your model.

and finally, I am looking forward to seeing more details of your project. 😁

Regards!!!

Hi Kasper,

Looking forward to seeing the end results! I've been looking for a decent 'all in one' solution for descent for a long long time.

Me too! I really like this storage solution. :)

@Kasper Friderichsen

Sorry it took so long to reply.

I must admit I had many ideas to improve this box (Maybe we can discuss them?),
but I also must admit that I had some time and motivation issues which caused the completion of this box to basically permanently go on hold. So, I guess it's fine if you share it.

Part of the issue was that I don't have any experience with lasercutting and that I'm not used to working with Illustrator either.
On top of that, making it work both for sleeved and non-sleeved was really giving me a headache.

Let me know (in PM) how we can most easily get in touch (maybe through chat or something?) and maybe we can work something out.

This is absolutely gorgeous (pics from p1). I'd be very interested in supporting and getting an all-in-one storage solution for my recently completed Descent collection. Looking forward to the end results!