Atom4geVampire's Custom Descent Storage Box (wip)

By Atom4geVampire, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Here are some picture of my attempt at the "ultimate" Descent storage box. It's still a work in progress, so some things are unfinished, mainly the storage for the hero figures needs work, as well as the fact that I still need to make the actual box that goes around everything as well. I have posted this in the past in an unrelated topic when it was less finished, so I thought it was time for it's own topic. (Sorry for the quality of some of the pictures by the way)

Everything together

This is what it currently looks like all together. I just need to create a shell to go around it. But to do that, all the internal parts need to be 100% done (so I have the correct dimensions)

box_01.jpg

Level 1

This is where I keep the main cards and tokens of the game, that I need a lot.

Top to bottom, left to right: Conditions, Act I Shop Deck, Act II Shop Deck, Relics, Search Cards, Search tokens, Challenge tokens, More Challenge tokens, Villager tokens, Red/Blue Objective tokens, White/Green Objective tokens, Influence Effect tokens/Sun Stone token, 2x Dice, Travel deck, City Travel deck, Secret Room cards and tokens, Rumor and Advanced Quest cards, Health tokens, 5 Health tokens, Fatigue tokens, Threat/Fortune tokens, Hero Sheets/Class Cards and Items/Hero Tokens of current campaign.

box_02.jpg

The Condition cards and Health/Fatigue/.. tokens can be removed as separate boxes for easy access during play

box_03.jpg

Level 2

This is has a box for all manuals and some extra things (the dice are used as health counters for monster health) as well as the 'Overlord Box'.

box_04.jpg

The Overlord box stores all things related to the overlord. Its also split in 2 levels, to separate per act.

Top to bottom, left to right - Level 1: Act I Monsters, Act I Lieutenants, Overlord decks/Overlord Rewards/Corrupt Citizen Cards, Plot Decks

box_05.jpg

Top to bottom, left to right - Level 2: Tainted Cards/Familiar Cards/Familiar tokens, Infection tokens (can be taken out as pictured), Act II Monsters, Act II Lieutenants

box_06.jpg

Level 3

Here the 'Classes and Heroes box' can be found, which stores most of the things related to heroes and classes. It also has a box with Dice Towers.

Top to bottom, left to right: Warrior Class decks, Class Familiars, Scout Class decks, Mage Class Decks, Hero Familiars (The wolf fell into the wrong box it seems ;) ), Healer Class decks, Hero Sheets.

box_07.jpg

3 Dice Towers that can easily be assembled

box_08.jpg

Level 4

This is where all the Map tiles, Terrain tokens, Doors/Walls/.., and various other (less used) tokens are stored. The tiles are grouped by size and some parts are subdivided so similar tiles are grouped.

Top to bottom, left to right:

- Large Map tiles (bigger than 4x8)

- Narrow Map tiles (max width 3 spaces) and misc tokens - Separations: Longer than 6 spaces, 6 spaces to 4 spaces, 4 spaces or smaller - Tokens: Big Lieutenants, Small Lieutenants, Proof of Purchases

- Doors/Old Walls/Overgrowth/.. and their holders

- End Caps

- Connectors

- Entrance tiles, Large connectors

- Corners, 4 way connectors

- Room maptiles (max 4x8) and misc tokens - Separations: Max 8x4, Max 4x4 - Tokens: Inactive Monster tokens, Crumbling Terrain tokens

box_09.jpg

A better view at the seperations

box_10.jpg

Level 5

This is still a bit of a work in progress, but this stores the Hero figures Class tokens, Ally tokens and cards, Hero Familiar cards. I'll have to redo it abit, because I wasn't expecting figures being as tall as Karnon, so the sided are not high enough :(

I already redid this once before, because I underestimated the amount of heroes (The hero classes box used to be part of this level). This is mainly the reason the outer box isn't finished.

I either plan to cut out circles in the white bottom for the bases of the heroes to fit in, or else use some metal plate and glue a very flat magnet to the base of the heroes, not sure yet.

box_11.jpg

The Class tokens can be removed as separate boxes and given to the heroes when needed.

box_12.jpg

Now I just hope that FFG doesn't release to many things that fit outside of what I have foreseen :D (Like the Tainted Cards)

Also, here is how the condition boxes and dice towers look on the gaming table by the way, in case anyone was wondering.

box_13.jpg

What do I use for the monster figures you ask?

I use the Citadel Crusade Figure Case

box_14.jpg

box_15.jpg

Edited by Atom4geVampire

Very cool, dude. A kind of thing thatI would do, if I had the time.

Okay. Fine. Whatever.

Superlative ... superlative ... superlative ...

I absolutely HATE you creative people ...

How do I order one, and how do I make sure I get it by X-Mas? To be clear, I DO NOT want the plans. I want YOU to make me the finished product ... :) ;) :P :D :lol:

EDIT: (And deep down, where the psychi lives (Id, Ego, SuperEgo), I don't think I am kidding ... LOL)

Edited by any2cards

Nicely done. Cutting out circles for the hero section is a pretty good idea. I'm sure you are aware of the different sized bases on the heros. What are you currently doing for monster storage?

Yeah, Which is why I was looking into the magnet setup. I had already done it for the heroes in the old version (before I reworked it) and it took forever.

I've updated the original post with the storage for the monsters

any2cards: If you can pay me enough that I don't have to go to my fulltime job, then maybe I could get it to you by Christmas :D

All this work, all that dedication, all that awesomeness... But where are the card sleeves???? Or is your gaming table located in a clean room? :)

I couldn't help but notice how you sorted all the dices by color, all showing the same face. My eldest daughter does the same (she's 7 yo) and that's why we never have the time to play a second game after the first one since cleanup takes ages due to ultra pedantism :)

I dont really see a reason to sleeve the cards (I haven't actually sleeved any game I have)

They aren't handeled that much, and the people handling them aren't savages. So it seems fine.

And the dice usually stay in the dice towers between games. Its only when the game can't stay on the table and i have toI put the game away that i put the dice in the box. It depends on my mood I guess if I'll put then the same face up, but I at least sort them by color every time :)

I dont really see a reason to sleeve the cards (I haven't actually sleeved any game I have)

They aren't handeled that much, and the people handling them aren't savages. So it seems fine.

And the dice usually stay in the dice towers between games. Its only when the game can't stay on the table and i have toI put the game away that i put the dice in the box. It depends on my mood I guess if I'll put then the same face up, but I at least sort them by color every time :)

Wait.... You can leave your game out and not have any components broken, lost, or eaten? No kids, huh? Not sure why you need the STORAGE box then, so any interest in donating to a worthy cause?

Did you throw away the old boxes the game came in? :P

No, I did not throw away the boxes :)

And yeah, no kids, no pets either (not allowed) so if I know we will be playing within a week I'll just leave it out on the table and set up the next quest when I have some time during that week.

If there is a longer pause between sessions then I usually pack it up. It also happens that I play the game at a friends house instead of at my place, so like this its pretty easy to transport it as well.

Edited by Atom4geVampire

any2cards: If you can pay me enough that I don't have to go to my fulltime job, then maybe I could get it to you by Christmas :D

Hmmmm ... how much does Atom make in a month?

Hmmmm ... how much more time do I have on this planet that circles the sun?

Hmmmm ... Wait a minute ... I thought you creative people do this stuff for the "love of the game" and all that such ...

You don't need money to live ... you just need that love ... :P

And I absolutely promise to love what you make for me ...

Edited by any2cards

I have been playing around with the idea of having the box lasercut from wood or something, since it's now made from foamboard that I manually cut, so its not 100% perfect in some places and I guess it does/would damage easily.

I just have no idea what a project like this would cost (and I haven't gotten around to checking that with some local company here), nor do I know how much work goes into the process of creating the 'template' that will work for that.

Otherwise I guess it would be relatively easy to create duplicates I guess :)

WOW!!!

Well you do as you like, obviously, and sleeving up your cards would make your solution void anyway so I realize that :) (sleeves increase the size of the decks)

But it's really not about people wearing down the cards. The one "savage" dude in my second play group bends everything he touches (be cardboard or plastic), so sleeves are a mere protection anyway for cases like these. I don't sleeve up my cards because of him anyway.

It's about wearing down the cards due to shuffling mainly, secondly due to friction when people exhaust/refresh cards on a table that is not 100% clean (it can't ever be) after hundreds of plays, and people holding cards as they eat and have greasy fingers. And if a drop of "coffee" :rolleyes: lands on it you can dry it in no time.

I was not a big card sleever originally (people used to drop their jaws at the sight of my old MTG decks, as they couldn't recognize the back of the cards), because I don't mind if games get damaged as time passes by, it's just a thing and things naturally age when you use them (it also has some charm in my opinion when you compare to pristine quality MTG cards and their "fresh" smell coming with them), but I´ve seen what our first D2E campaigns did to the cards and wanted the protection straight after that. Believe me, it goes fast.

Shuffling the cards when they´re sleeved up is way easier, thus increase the shuffling effect, and it prevents the edge of the cards from getting damaged. Cards getting damaged this way get even more damaged the more you shuffle them, and ultimately you can find out what a card is based on its condition without even looking at the front. So yeah, it has an indirect effect on gameplay, and quite frankly it's rather disastrous when it happens (it defeats the point of randomness).

If you´re concerned about people wearing down your components (I´m not that type of person but some people may be), having things sleeved help relax.

For the record, I sleeve up all the games I play regularly, or games that require heavy shuffling. I don't sleeve up reference cards or stuff that is not meant to be operated on an often basis. I realize sleeves has a cost too, but if I had to choose between pimp and pimp, sleeves would be my go to. I even sleeve up Ticket to Ride or Splendor, which are games I play with the family, so it's not only about the "big games" like Descent.

Then I have a friend in one of my groups who sleeve EVERYTHING, regardless of size (full Pathfinder collection, yay!) and regardless of the game being played (at all) or not. There's the line for me. I have recently sleeved up Tyrants of the Underdark to get it ready for the table (no play yet) but should we dislike it then the sleeves will go to another game. No point if the game doesn't hit the table.

(That's it, I´m officially on your ban list now :) )

Edited by Indalecio

Atom you are crazy, but in a good way :D

If you would be so kind to provide us with plans (or at least some rough sketches) and the materials you use it would be great.

You said you use foamboard. Is there a special glue required?

Thanks a lot. The photo of your gaming table looks like a gaming geeks wet dream ;)

Well, after 2 years of use, everything still looks like it is mint condition imo, so I just never saw the need for sleeves :P (It also seemed expensive)

It's not like your are shuffling the cards that much (not like a normal deck of playing cards anyway), and the fact that my table has felt on it prevents too much friction on the cards?

Maybe next time we play someone will destroy some card and I'll be like "Why didn't I listen!!" but so far it all seems fine :D

Chaoticus, I can provide some plans yeah, though the ones I have are a bit outdated so I'll need to update them first. And yeah, you need special glue for that, otherwise it will eat into the foam.

The gaming table is custom made by myself as well by the way :)

I like the table more than the storage solution in fact! I would think that the storage box layout would be messed up after a couple of expansions. But then again, you don't seem to be a person who couldn't fix that:p Do you have a technical background (interior design or something)?

When I started the box I left some room for expansions to add stuff. But as you can see, I'm already at the maximum amount of conditions now (I for one am happy that CtR just comes with Terrified again :) )

And it's funny that you would say that, people always tell me like "dude, you should be interior designer or something" when they visit my place. But I'm not. Maybe I should think about a career change some day :P

The only real background I have is that I used to be and Environment Artist in the video game industry :) I guess that gave me a bit of an eye for what looks good or not.

It also allowed me to make a concept for the box in 3D modeling software, which was also a great help obviously.

I love the storage trays, but I love that table more!

I can figure out the foamboard stuff, but if you have plans for that table, that would be great!

I love how these look. I know you've been asked about 100 times but I would love to see the dimensions for these trays.

If it's still possible that'd be awesome!

This is an amazing piece of work! Will you be able to share the measurements please? Anything you have (draft, sketches,..) will do. Thanks in advance.

Yes, it's still on my to do list :)

The thing is, I've noticed a lot of 'issues' with it during construction that, with the knowledge I have now, I would do differently.

And I'd rather post a good version for you guys, than have you make the same mistakes as me :)

Also, I should propbably actually finish my box in the first place, before making final schematics.

Hey Atom4geVampire, I know this is an older post, but I am about to start making my own box for Descent and I ran across your design. Your design is very close on what I was starting to come up with in my mind. Any update on your design and final schematics. I would love to get my hands on your measurements for each level. Even if you are not complete any current measurements would be helpful on my design.

Atom do you have measurements you used for this?

Hello!

@Atom4geVampire any updates from this project?

Did you make any project design about this box?

I really need this box!

Gz for the project.