UFS LCG: This has to be amazing for FFG

By brislove, in UFS General Discussion

Lets be honest, the game has simply dwindled to numbers that are far to small for the game to function as a TCG. thus it's dying.

I'm going to make a couple of assumptions right now, and logically explain, why continuing to print UFS as an LCG would be excellent for the game. Included will be structure of releases.

Premise #1; FFG is making money on LCGs. They keep making sets for them, there are 3 of them running. This seems to make sense.

Premise #2; FFG won't have to pay infi money to continue to use the license's in an LCG format (this one is tricky, but they are a smart company)

Release Structure: Core Set; Released as the basis for a new License: For referance Warhammer invasion LCG.

So release a new License with 4 Characters, and their support. (I believe this comes with 3x of every card in the base set. even less game design required if you make cards 4x)

Warhammer Invasion LCG Core Set contains:

* 1 Rulebook
* 220 Cards representing 4 factions
* 4 Capital Boards
* 35 Resource Tokens
* 60 Damage Tokens
* 4 Burning Tokens

Monthly Releases "Booster"; One character + support

60 cards. 4x of the character 14 support cards for that character (essentially a starter)

My Assertion:

It is unlikely that any of the LCGs have over 1000 players, and they are (presumably) profitable.

3 base sets a year. one being FFG original Content (Hopefully the febuary release, this would contain the Worlds character AND HIS SUPPORT >_>)

Base Set - 4 characters and their support. 14 cards per character all 4x

For each Base set 2 character boosters, and 1 deluxe booster (with bonus characters, no including support for them) Presumabely Base-booster-deluxe-booster; Next Base

Just use the LCG concept and apply it to a game you already own rights for. I love UFS, I would actually PREFER it as an LCG. keeps costs down. ~250 a year for playsets of everything? YES PLEASE!

reply here, but also email FFG, If you like this idea tell them we want UFS as an LCG. they don't even have to design a rules system, it has to be cheaper. AND they already have a great designer who was moving the game forward in the right direction.

There are less then 1,000 people playing this game. One of the bigger reasons they stopped the game was because they had to print less volume per set and it cost more to print it (you get discount on volume so the more you print the less it cost per sheet, they are printing less sheets which means it was costing more to print sets with less people playing = no profit). How would changing this game into a LCG solve ANY of that?

The main deal with UFS is that it cost way more money then any other CCG simply because of licensing other games so that they can print them.....i think the solution would be to only print stuff like shadowar and make the game entirely from FFG

Because you don't have to print 1 million x of the commons to have enough packs out there to make the URs available.

my contention is that LCGs are working, if LCGs are working; a UFS one seems like an easy gig. many people I know would play if not for the expense of it being another TCG.

UFS has an established playerbase, warhammer invasion is a brand new game, I find it hard to imagine that UFS would do worse then WH-Invasion. it' possible this is even their plan. I would have much preferred to see that as an announcement.

Da_ghetto_gamer said:

The main deal with UFS is that it cost way more money then any other CCG simply because of licensing other games so that they can print them.....i think the solution would be to only print stuff like shadowar and make the game entirely from FFG

yeah, I'd be fine with 2 base sets a year 1 original content one licensed. but please recall that WH is a licensed product as well.

brislove said:

Da_ghetto_gamer said:

yeah, I'd be fine with 2 base sets a year 1 original content one licensed. but please recall that WH is a licensed product as well.

thats what i was thinking but....oh well i mean if what were trying to do doesnt work out in the end then theres not much you can do about it im still going to fight for UFS all the way but when its being held by a company that doesnt care what can u do?

brislove said:

Because you don't have to print 1 million x of the commons to have enough packs out there to make the URs available.

Your right I totally forgot about that. But then that is printing even less volume and it costing more per sheet with a small playerbase. So they would be printing less and have it costing more then they were doing now when they ended the game, so how does that work out? I still doubt it will be worth it. And if they do that they will probably have to start over and no one will be able to use old cards, which would piss off some people.

Using old cards is up for debate. the older sets aren't going to be very expensive, and local play-groups can allow or disallow whatever they want.

My only contention is; ~IF~ LCGs are profitable for FFG, wouldn't making UFS into one also be profitable? it has to have a larger playerbase then warhammer invasion LCG. they wouldn't have to do rotations ever. UFS wouldn't be a competitive game anymore, for the most part, but worlds could still happen and the best prize in gaming could still be to design a card of yourself in one of the FFG original content sets.

I made a facebook group to try and get the bearings on how many people would play or at least try to play UFS as an LCG.